Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye I'm not in the mind frame of spending money yo prove a point. We signed well n the summer and signed well this month. I'm not expecting 40 million pound signings whatsoever to come in, said it many times thst we are a mid table club so of course we aren't attracting them here.

My general Pont is that we also haven't proven financial muscle as of yet. In terms of where we need to be we are right on track. 7th is a fair position and I'd be happy to finish there and hopefully bag a Europa place from it. I do feel we need that one summer though where we spend money and sign better players to put our name out there if we do have the money. It would go a long way in perception of us especially if we then built a brand new stadium afterwards. The top 6 needs to be a top 7 basically, and that is us forcing our way into the sky and media attention.

I get what you mean. It will take a statement signing. One where we beat off competition from the top teams. Obviously some one like Van Dijk, someone who we could really do with. I think (or hope) there will be a lot more activity in the Summer. So long as the transfer windows keep getting better then we are on the right path.

It's not just Liverpool that don't exceed in their spending. It's Spurs and Arsenal as well. To start challenging you don't need buckets of money, just smart recruitment. To win things you'll need money though. So whilst I think it's no surprise we aren't buying big, we don't necessarily need to just yet. When we start mixing it at the top, then that's the time to flex some financial muscle.
Just look at how much Spurs' team cost. Excellent recruitment. In this day and age they have a top side, with barely any player costing over 15m. They are the benchmarks for recruiting for a club like us.

I agree but doesnt change the fact that we still need that bit more quality up there. If we dont manage it this window then it will be even harder to break that top 6 which, at the moment, seems just within our reach.
I will be happy if we sign someone good, but I don't see any point in a squad player. January window is difficult to get quality, so it unless they find a player that improves the squad it is better to leave it.

Just look at how much Spurs' team cost. Excellent recruitment. In this day and age they have a top side, with barely any player costing over 15m. They are the benchmarks for recruiting for a club like us.

I've annoyingly over used Spurs as a comparison but for lots of valid reasons. They've gone about their business superbly. I agree that we should be finding similar pathways to improvement. And yet, I feel Spurs are stumbling at the last hurdle. I feel they now need to pay the money to get their squad over the line. They're ever so close. And we will hit the same obstacle. But I am rather jealous of there emergence the last few seasons.

Spurs starting XI may have been relatively cheap but look at their overall buys in the last few years:
Wanyama £11m
Janssen £17m
Sissoko £30m
N'Koudo £11m
Trippier £3.5m
Wimmer £4.5m
Alderweireld £11m
N'Jie £10m
Son £22m
Vorm £3m
Dier £4m
Yedlin £3m
Fazio £8m
Alli £5m
Paulinho £17m
Chadli £7m
Soldado £28m
Capue £8.6m
Eriksen £11m
Lamela £30m
Chiriches £8.5m

So just over £250m over the last 4 years of which only 6 or 7 players have been first team regulars.

They also have a wage bill of around £100m now.

IMG_0074.webp

Weirdly almost everyone they've signed that cost anything significant in the past few years they've got shut of or is poo bar that Alderweield and Erickson

Sake.

What do you want, a bank statement?

The landscape is changing.

I can understand this mentality (because it's everton) but by god it frustrates me. It's like the RS lad in work who always goes to me "if your board is so serious. Just pay a £100 mill for greizmann". Like football works like that. You can offer crazy money for players and high wages but there are other teams who can offer just as much as we can and more in the champions leauge. So we can't get that caliber of player.

We have to be realistic the club was in a mess when martinez left. We weren't in Europe and had just finished 11th for the second season in a row. We are not a attractive proposition for the level of player we want to bring in. In essence I believe that as a football club we need to prove our self's as a top team in England this season.

I'm not saying like top four but top 7 and europe. Show people we're going forward. Put our self's back on peoples radars. Then in the summer we can strengthen and I mean really strengthen and put down our mark.

Having said that we need a striker and a cb this window no matter what. We cant just pin all of our hopes on lukaku staying fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back