Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
War chest, more like

41A6EacNJaL._SX300_.jpg

Could be sell to buy again to be honest. If the money is there then it would have been spent. Prove us wrong the Mosh.

The objective in the summer, at least this is how it looked to me, was to buy our way into Top 4 contention, by aiming for the quality of player we tried for.

Laudable, and admirable indeed.

But it didn't succeed, and they didn't change tack until it was too late.

For the foreseeable, we are not going to attract any A-List signing.

The guiding principle should be signing players "sufficiently better than we have already".

God knows it shouldn't be too difficult.

We are probably going to have to take a punt on a player or three here and there.

It will be difficult for Walsh to unearth another Mahrez or Kanté but this is essentially what he is paid for, amongst other things.

We are desperately short of athleticism, mobility, aggression, and technical ability in this squad.

And I prefer younger players, to build a longer-term thing. Everything seems temporary and half-hearted at present.

Too many of the current squad are ready to be put to pasture.

Andre Silva of Porto. Dolberg of Ajax (of Goldberg to jackhammer everyone in sight), a dream signing like Locatelli or Donnarumma, will settle for Bonaventura, just please get anybody who will give 110% and fight unlike the lads we have now. A tim Cahill grafter/warrior will be the best thing we could ask for. Just get someone, im dying watching this crap on show like yesterday, no positives at all. #Meltdown1of20

The objective in the summer, at least this is how it looked to me, was to buy our way into Top 4 contention, by aiming for the quality of player we tried for.

Laudable, and admirable indeed.

But it didn't succeed, and they didn't change tack until it was too late.

For the foreseeable, we are not going to attract any A-List signing.

The guiding principle should be signing players "sufficiently better than we have already".

God knows it shouldn't be too difficult.

We are probably going to have to take a punt on a player or three here and there.

It will be difficult for Walsh to unearth another Mahrez or Kanté but this is essentially what he is paid for, amongst other things.

We are desperately short of athleticism, mobility, aggression, and technical ability in this squad.

And I prefer younger players, to build a longer-term thing. Everything seems temporary and half-hearted at present.

Too many of the current squad are ready to be put to pasture.

It is an interesting one - this squad feels transient but there are a lot of players in this squad who have (to echo your final point) been here a long time; probably too long.

First point of joining Everton

Stekelenburg - signed 2016
Coleman - 2009
Jagielka - 2007
Williams - 2016
Baines - 2007
Gueye - 2016
Barry - 2013
Lennon - 2015
Barkley - Youth team
Bolasie - 2016
Lukaku - 2013

So four of them have signed this year and to echo @ijjysmith from yesterday, they were the best of a very bad bunch against Southampton. Bolasie was awful, but at least he bothered. But there is a lot of rot in this team that has been around for 2 years + , and it's hardly like we've kept together the core of a successful side have we? You look at the bench yesterday and all that could be brought on was paper lung superstar Del, trying Emerson-style turns on the edge of their box and falling over, Valencia who is just absolutely tosh, and Mirallas, who has essentially checked out. Who else was he going to turn to, Snivelley? Funes the Flop?

Why?

Tbf while I agree we need a playmaker, there's nothing to say that Koeman wants a player like that there...

Look at S'ton. He had two central midfielders - a destroyer (Wanyama) and an 'energy' player to fill the box-to-box role (first Schneiderlin, then Davis/Ward-Prowse).

We've got Gueye who is great at breaking up the play, but atm we've literally got him doing the work of two players in midfield.

He is basically covering up for Barry.

Barry needs to be dropped and Gueye needs to be a defensive midfielder not a box to box player.

The team he should put out against UTD

........................Stek...................
......Holgate.....Williams......Mori.......
Coleman...Barkley...Gana...Davies....Baines..
.........Calvert-Lewin....Lukaku....

Risky I know but what are the other options? same team same drab performance.....

We're not going to sign anyone good, we've seen that from the summer. The best strategy for me would be to sign a couple more of the worst clubs' best players, then get loads of highly rated foreign players from small leagues and hope a few of them turn out to be amazing.

The team he should put out against UTD

........................Stek...................
......Holgate.....Williams......Mori.......
Coleman...Barkley...Gana...Davies....Baines..
.........Calvert-Lewin....Lukaku....

Risky I know but what are the other options? same team same drab performance.....
Would not argue with the shape and few changes but I don't want to see Ross near our first team next week. He strolled around yest losing the ball and giving away frees. I mentioned we would be better playing with 10 which I stand by

It is an interesting one - this squad feels transient but there are a lot of players in this squad who have (to echo your final point) been here a long time; probably too long.

First point of joining Everton

Stekelenburg - signed 2016
Coleman - 2009
Jagielka - 2007
Williams - 2016
Baines - 2007
Gueye - 2016
Barry - 2013
Lennon - 2015
Barkley - Youth team
Bolasie - 2016
Lukaku - 2013

So four of them have signed this year and to echo @ijjysmith from yesterday, they were the best of a very bad bunch against Southampton. Bolasie was awful, but at least he bothered. But there is a lot of rot in this team that has been around for 2 years + , and it's hardly like we've kept together the core of a successful side have we? You look at the bench yesterday and all that could be brought on was paper lung superstar Del, trying Emerson-style turns on the edge of their box and falling over, Valencia who is just absolutely tosh, and Mirallas, who has essentially checked out. Who else was he going to turn to, Snivelley? Funes the Flop?

Rarely agree with you Orly, but couldn't agree more on this point.

Had a debate with an EFC Podcast account yesterday re. Koeman needing to adapt to the players he has available.

My point was why would he? It's not like the players were winning games playing in the old way either.

The fact remains that, despite their inconsistencies (which I am happy to admit are there) our four signings that have joined this summer are the players that have shown they can play at the level of 'intensity' required.

And while Koeman isn't blameless in this (he needs to be changing things) it's clear to see that the issues aren't really with the players that have been brought in - which should at least put to rest any lingering doubts over the transfer policy (the panic loan of Valencia aside, and even so when he comes on he at least adds 'something' - gets us up the pitch etc...)

Would not argue with the shape and few changes but I don't want to see Ross near our first team next week. He strolled around yest losing the ball and giving away frees. I mentioned we would be better playing with 10 which I stand by
First half as bad as we were Ross was trying to make things happen but the lack of movement around him his frightening, but ye he still should be doing more than he is.
If anyone gets dropped next week they have no complaints apart from Gana. Its not like this is one or two bad games they have all been poor since September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back