Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do they have at GK? hows he doing?

If hes been decent then it could give us a glimmer of hope.

Id 100% be onto pickford in jan...moyes i think said if a big bid came in for a player he couldnt hold onto them.

Grant is playing for them atm and doing well, though he is only on loan from Derby and is 33...

Butland has just returned to light training IIRC, so isn't far away.

No hope though Zat, not in January.

Pickford.

Yeh, Moyes admitted the other day he expects a big bid if his form continues.

However, he also said that Sunderland don't plan on selling, but sometime it's like the Rooney situation where you have to sell one player to build up the rest of the squad.

So not really saying they welcome offers, but acknowledging that if a huge bid comes in and IF Pickford wants out (which there is no guarantee of btw) then they may consider it.

Grant is playing for them atm and doing well, though he is only on loan from Derby and is 33...

Butland has just returned to light training IIRC, so isn't far away.

No hope though Zat, not in January.

Pickford.

Yeh, Moyes admitted the other day he expects a big bid if his form continues.

However, he also said that Sunderland don't plan on selling, but sometime it's like the Rooney situation where you have to sell one player to build up the rest of the squad.

So not really saying they welcome offers, but acknowledging that if a huge bid comes in and IF Pickford wants out (which there is no guarantee of btw) then they may consider it.

How much do you think it would take for either Pickford or Butland in Jan?

How much do you think it would take for either Pickford or Butland in Jan?

Pickford... I think around £25mil to even get them started tbh.

Butland - £35-40mil (given it's Jan).

That's just my opinion like obviously, but can't see either going anywhere for much less.

Pickford... I think around £25mil to even get them started tbh.

Butland - £35-40mil (given it's Jan).

That's just my opinion like obviously, but can't see either going anywhere for much less.

Both worth those amounts i think based on 15 years of possible service and also sellable down the track as well if we upgrade later.

who do you prefer?

Think a keeper is the least of our worries. Saved us from proper embarashment yest

He could have easily stopped the goal though by coming for the cross. It wasn't anything special, just a ball in to the 6 yard box. He should have easily collected it.

He's a strange keeper, he makes some great saves at times, but for some of the goals he's conceded his positioning or decision making has let him down.

Both worth those amounts i think based on 15 years of possible service and also sellable down the track as well if we upgrade later.

who do you prefer?

Pickford is only about 6'1 isn't he? He's not played that many games for Sunderland even. He's young and Moyes is trying to talk his price tag up cos he's been told there is no big tfr budget for him to spend.

I just can't take to Butland that penalty shootout he was in, was a disgrace. Dived the same way everytime, token gesture.

Again a young keeper that people talk up cos they think he'll get better and better.

I'd prefer a keeper with more of a physical presence, Fraser 'come and have a walk around our new keeper' Forster is a giant of a man, Southampton appear to be a selling club, and when Koeman was at Southampton, all their good defensive work came when Forster was in goal. When he was injured they weren't the same side. At 28 he's not old for a keeper either.

I'd be more than happy to lob 25m at Sunderland for Pickford. The kids young so still has a lot to learn and there would be a few mistakes along the way but he's got an abundance of ability and seems to have the right work ethic.

Lukaku sale proceeds will have to be factored in to the whole rebuild cost, over the next 1-2 years.

If 70-80% of the squad needs replacing, £100m won't get us far. If we have it at all. We would need double that over 2 1/2 - 3 years to make a splash.

We will have to try to get fees, decent or not, for the majority of the outgoings.

If £30m gets you nothing particularly above average, we won't have scope to be spending hugely more than that on a single player, not that we would likely attract such anyway.

I would like a focus on youth, and players under 25 if we are spending relatively big in single signings.

The rest will have to come through the U-23's, and looking for bargains/less expensive players in cheaper markets.

Whilst I think its important to have one eye on the age profile of the squad, its fine to take advantage and sign an older player, particularly if they are good technically. The sort that has fallen out of favour at a bigger club.

We will probably also need to keep using our loan quota, obviously wisely and to best effect. Particularly with an option to buy.

Considering Koeman is struggling to get an extra 10% from this squad, its Walsh that has the key role. His opinions and judgement are probably going to be the critical deciding factor as to whether we can compete at the top level again, or not.

That, and just how serious Moshiri is about providing the wherewithal for the level of overhaul needed.

There is no silver bullet here.

who do you prefer?

Butland is the better of the two. Got no doubt about that.

But I think Pickford would be the most realistic of the two.

I don't actually think we'll get either, like.

I'd be more than happy to lob 25m at Sunderland for Pickford. The kids young so still has a lot to learn and there would be a few mistakes along the way but he's got an abundance of ability and seems to have the right work ethic.
I'd rather we avoid going through anymore John Stones scenarios for a while mate.
GK and CB's - let's buy in some experienced, polished players. IMO anyway.

Pickford is only about 6'1 isn't he? He's not played that many games for Sunderland even. He's young and Moyes is trying to talk his price tag up cos he's been told there is no big tfr budget for him to spend.

I just can't take to Butland that penalty shootout he was in, was a disgrace. Dived the same way everytime, token gesture.

Again a young keeper that people talk up cos they think he'll get better and better.

I'd prefer a keeper with more of a physical presence, Fraser 'come and have a walk around our new keeper' Forster is a giant of a man, Southampton appear to be a selling club, and when Koeman was at Southampton, all their good defensive work came when Forster was in goal. When he was injured they weren't the same side. At 28 he's not old for a keeper either.

Forgot.about Forster tbh...trying to blank out recent results.

Hes a man mountain isnt he?

I wonder if they would sell him as he must be as important to them.as vvd.

Lukaku sale proceeds will have to be factored in to the whole rebuild cost, over the next 1-2 years.

If 70-80% of the squad needs replacing, £100m won't get us far. If we have it at all. We would need double that over 2 1/2 - 3 years to make a splash.

We will have to try to get fees, decent or not, for the majority of the outgoings.

If £30m gets you nothing particularly above average, we won't have scope to be spending hugely more than that on a single player, not that we would likely attract such anyway.

I would like a focus on youth, and players under 25 if we are spending relatively big in single signings.

The rest will have to come through the U-23's, and looking for bargains/less expensive players in cheaper markets.

Whilst I think its important to have one eye on the age profile of the squad, its fine to take advantage and sign an older player, particularly if they are good technically. The sort that has fallen out of favour at a bigger club.

We will probably also need to keep using our loan quota, obviously wisely and to best effect. Particularly with an option to buy.

Considering Koeman is struggling to get an extra 10% from this squad, its Walsh that has the key role. His opinions and judgement are probably going to be the critical deciding factor as to whether we can compete at the top level again, or not.

That, and just how serious Moshiri is about providing the wherewithal for the level of overhaul needed.

There is no silver bullet here.

I think we need way more than £100mil.

If we were to say keep 4 players in the 11 now and add 4 more for £30mil+ then at least we could then have 8 very good players....then sell alot of the existing players and use the money to bring in top u21 players to combine with the existing youth to push from the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back