Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically we can likely hope for three players max. Since we have no clue who they will be, what are the 3 most critical positions needed?

While I think we ultimately need a new keeper and better left back cover those will have to wait until summer. Rb is solid with Coleman and Holgate. Williams, Gueye and Rom are obviously set.

We need a CB, CM, AM, winger(s) and back up striker....

Which 3 do we prioritize?

For me the goal would be CB, CM and an AM who would be competent up top in a pinch.

Yes. Plus, if there's a chance a nicking a good young goalie, like Pickford, we should grab it.

Williams, Gana, Bolasie (just about - though obviously we should always be looking for improvement), Coleman (same as Bolasie), Barks (same again) and Lukaku.

So 5-7 first-team signings over the next few windows but that is with the caveat that, for example, Lukaku would stay.

He probably won't be staying past next summer.
He will not play for Everton next season no matter what! and to be honest am not even arsed, he winds me up.

Interesting players that have expiring contracts in June:
GK: Adrian, Casillas, Adler, Costil, Ruddy, Hennessey
RB: Pablo Zabaleta, Branislav Ivanovic, Bacary Sagna, Antonio Valencia, Rafinha, Darijo Srna, Stephan Lichtsteiner, Joshua Brenet
CB: Thiago Silva, Mertesacker, Khacheridi, Alvaro Dominguez, Robin Knoche, Salvatore Bocchetti, Serdar Tasci, Dede, Holger Badstuber
LB: Jetro Willems, Gael Clichy, Andrew Robertson, Sead Kolasinac, Jaume Costa, Benoit Tremoulinas
DM: John Obi Mikel, Miguel Veloso, Sandro, Cheick Tiore, Dainele De Rossi, Jake Livermore, Vurnon Anita, Sebastian Rudy, Florian Grillitsch
AM: Fernandinho, Axel Witsel, Santi Cazorla, Yaya Toure, Keisuke Honda
RW: Jesus Navas, Arjen Robben, Alessio Cerci, Rachi Ghezzal, Luciano Narsingh, Ricardo Quaresma
LW: Taison, Paul-Georges Ntep, Erix Maxim Choupo-Moting
ST: Saido Berahino, Eder, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Dominic Solanke

We should definetely try to get some of these.

Some interesting ones there, I don't think we would get most of them tbh, I would love quaresma just to see a few of thos mad crosses with the outside of the boot.
Dario Srna is a vastly underrated player, lichtsteiner would be brilliant if coleman was sold.
I highlighted Costil because I think that's the keeper from the French league for rennes ?
Honda needs a fresh start, excellent player with a run of games and confidence.
Seen Ghezzal against PSG on sunday, took the game to PSG showing no respect or fear, one to watch.
Finally N'tep is still youngish with time to get better, could be a bargain for those willing to gamble.

The rest are either proven players or those who can help raise the profile of the club - see Zlatan as example A.

Sissoko links will be pure jarg IMO
VVD Links where obvious ones - soon as he was asked about Koeman before the game and gave the answer he did about being in touch, lots of repsect etc etc - probably is an interest in him - and really one of the few links that you could see us putting a big bid in for trying to use the obvious close connection between Koeman and him to get him here - still think highly unlikely though as VVD will have teams that offer him more than we can - unless we really are willing to push the boat out and give him a stupendous wage - which we should but doubt we will.
Depay - again an easy link - but one that looks to have a bit of momentum and some leaks about it, think unless the scene changes for him at United then it will get done in January.
Bellotti - the young lad from Ajax and other striker links will IMO anyway be jarg punts by Journo's - we have the obvious need for a striekr so are an easy link - plus it helps fuel there round of Lukaku leaving for xyz stories as they can point the interest in his 'replacement' we are showing. we will probably be aftera striker in Jan - but doubt any of the links atm will be the one we go for.

CM is the interesting one as we are obviously going to try to bring someone in there, but who is up to speculation - not really any names being bandied about besides on here really (Strootman, Schneiderlin etc) so again like with the striker more likely we will go for someone off a walsh list who we will all have to frantically google on youtube to find out who the hell they are.

Couldn't agree more mate.

The one CM link that I think may have 'legs' may be Baselli from Torino.

One of those links that almost seems so random it has to be true. He is a very good player mind and will have a lot of teams after him.

It's all a guessing game at this stage anyway.

I think what we can establish is that come Jan the following areas will be addressed (and must be):

- Forward (as in, an attacking mid - possibly Depay, which makes sense with Bolasie at ACON)
- Central midfield (Gueye going to ACON)

We desperately need a striker and I'd say CB will be high on the list as well.

Bring players (and first-team quality players at that) in for those four positions, while hopefully shifting 3-4 of the deadwood out, and we've had a successful window IMO.

I can't imagine we'll be getting a GK in - as I don't think the quality that we need in that position will be available in January.

As said before though, we're still at least 6 weeks from signings IMO, so Koeman needs to buck his ideas up and make some changes now - even if that is just a switch in system and introducing one or two players into the squad.

Lost once in the league like.

But my point is, yeah they signed Sissoko who is by all accounts a massive dud, but they've also signed the likes of Eriksen and I reckon we'd all like him.

I just wouldn't worry too much that we wanted Sissoko.

On a side note, heard a Spurs fan last week complaining about Eriksen, saying that he never does a thing.

I genuinely laughed out loud.

They'd throw away the key for the stuff I'd do to get Eriksen in our side...

He will not play for Everton next season no matter what! and to be honest am not even arsed, he winds me up.

He does wind me up, but only when he's put up against two big CBs who find it easy to shut him down.

That is why a switch in system is so important.

Rom is a goal-scorer. It isn't his game to be like Costa or Suarez and while I'd love him to do that job, he just can't... It isn't in him mate.

But, he does score goals. Give him a chance and he will likely finish it.

That to me just says that, while he is here, we have to get support to him and we have to make the most of his strengths.

Koeman did it last year with Long and Pelle. Pelle was the No.9, and Long was the one doing the graft, putting the work in.

So
He does wind me up, but only when he's put up against two big CBs who find it easy to shut him down.

That is why a switch in system is so important.

Rom is a goal-scorer. It isn't his game to be like Costa or Suarez and while I'd love him to do that job, he just can't... It isn't in him mate.

But, he does score goals. Give him a chance and he will likely finish it.

That to me just says that, while he is here, we have to get support to him and we have to make the most of his strengths.

Koeman did it last year with Long and Pelle. Pelle was the No.9, and Long was the one doing the graft, putting the work in.
Sorry mate, but not having that at all, he chooses not to because he is selfish player and is only concerned about his own personal glory.

So

Sorry mate, but not having that at all, he chooses not to because he is selfish player and is only concerned about his own personal glory.

Rubbish.

It has to be 'in' a player to do that.

Kevin Campbell never did it. Yakubu never did it. Zlatan never does it...

Rooney did/does, AJ did etc.

It's not in some players.

He needs to do more, but we don't play to his strengths anyway.

I'm not saying he shouldn't put more effort in, but if he was going to have that side to his game he'd have it by now.

The lad will never be a lone striker for that reason.

He has to have support, whether that's with a striker up alongside him or two wide forwards either side.

As the lads on ToffeeTV said the other night, Lukaku worked best when he had Kone or Naismith alongside him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back