Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have too many old legs and non-energetic layers. Rom doesn't defender from the front , Barkley doesn't work hard. Barry , too slow in midfield although he is a key player for us. Jagielka looks like a Sunday league player atm. We need some energetic players in this team.

...and this is where GOT is right now. Either players didn't want to come here, or we were never in for them & it was a smokescreen. Just pick whatever fits your agenda & carry on.

Mate I find it hard to believe that with a billionaire takeover plus additional TV money that we could come out of the window making money without an ulterior motive here. It was easy at the time to think they were turning us down but the fact of who was put in charge of negotiations being the same fella who famously put a few phantom bids in here and there to appease fans? More than a coincidence that, mentioned that last night it was almost like it was his job to stop the deals rather than engineer them.

Or they're just not good enough.*

*see Gueye thread when he signed.

Bit controversial but I don't think he is thst good, not compared to carbon copy Kante. He adds energy to the midfield so he is good for us sure, but the harder the game the less of an influence he has been so far, Considering he started the year breaking all the play up.

Because there will still be games left after he comes back from the ACON.

We need a creative right winger and he will be a snip.

Well we tried for him in the summer and he turned us down? I can't imagine this would be any different.

But my general point was that January is a hard enough window to bring players in from other leagues who then have to settle half-way through a season. Throw in the fact that he will be at ACON then he'd be no more than a bit-part player and his impact would be minimal, tbh.

Though, if we're wanting to go for quick, creative Algerian wingers from Ligue 1, look no further than Ryad Boudebouz.

....January is supposed to be a difficult window to bring players in but at least RK and SW have had time to assess what they have and identify the priority areas that require reinforcing.

....January is supposed to be a difficult window to bring players in but at least RK and SW have had time to assess what they have and identify the priority areas that require reinforcing.

Actually think thats a Myth in many ways, it's a bad time for CL teams to try to bring in players - as lets face it most of there targets will be ineligible for there european games more likely than not - as they are buying usually from other teams who've had European footy that season, it's also a nice convenient excuse about it being a bad time for those owners that don't want to invest and use it as the reason why the didn't/couldn't.

Suarez signed January 2011 (almost won them the league single handedly)
Evra signed January 2006 (one of the best fullbacks in the league for best part of a decade)
Arteta singed January 2005 (arguably are best creative player in the past 25 years)
Dugary sigbned January 2003 (goals basically kept Birmingham up that season)
Vidic signed January 2006 (One of the best cb's in the past 20 years in the division)
Young (from watford to villa) signed January 2007 - great player for them and made a huge prfit selling him on years later.
Macherano - to Liverpool- signed January 2007 - was a great signing for them
Sturridge - January 2013 - for the fee they paid and his mfirst few years - a great signing again
Matic - sgined 2014 january - a massive reason that Chelse awon the league
Cahill - sgined by chelsea in january as well, dont rate him but a mainstay in that team
Mahrez - signed during January by Leicester
Ivanovic in 2008

thats not even looking abroad where the likes of Rakatic joined sevilla in January 11, Jaunfran to Athletico, Higuain t Madrid from River, Marcelo to Madrid, Silva to Milan.

So yeah players can be bpought during a transfer winter window, buit the narrative is that it's almost impossible

Actually think thats a Myth in many ways, it's a bad time for CL teams to try to bring in players - as lets face it most of there targets will be ineligible for there european games more likely than not - as they are buying usually from other teams who've had European footy that season, it's also a nice convenient excuse about it being a bad time for those owners that don't want to invest and use it as the reason why the didn't/couldn't.

Evra signed January 2006 (one of the best fullbacks in the league for best part of a decade)
Arteta singed January 2005 (arguably are best creative player in the past 25 years)
Vidic signed January 2006 (One of the best cb's in the past 20 years in the division)
Young (from watford to villa) signed January 2007 - great player for them and made a huge prfit selling him on years later.
Sturridge - January 2013 - for the fee they paid and his mfirst few years - a great signing again
Cahill - sgined by chelsea in january as well, dont rate him but a mainstay in that team
Ivanovic in 2008

thats not even looking abroad where the likes of Rakatic joined sevilla in January 11, Jaunfran to Athletico, Higuain t Madrid from River, Marcelo to Madrid, Silva to Milan.

So yeah players can be bpought during a transfer winter window, buit the narrative is that it's almost impossible

...cheers. I used my words carefully when I said 'supposed' because I wondered if it was reality. Many thanks for your view. I wonder if we might see quite a few in, perhaps not the star names that are familiar but more the 'type' Koeman wants to fit his team model and play the way he wants his team to play. A few familiar names might slip down the pecking order over the next window or so.

Ivanovic in 2008

I don't think it's impossible at all, but it is a difficult month in terms of a) value and b) getting the right quality in depending on your position.

I'm not saying we shouldn't and won't have targets, but if we want to improve in certain positions (for example, goalkeeper) we realistically need to be buying another team's no.1, and whatever money is thrown about unless said team has a very able deputy they ain't selling their no.1 keeper half-way through a season.

What we should be looking at is players from better sides who are surplus. That doesn't necessarily mean cast-offs, btw - but players like Schnederlin for example would improve us.

There's no excuse not to go and get an adequate back-up striker in (though people do need to reign in their expectations of just how good a 'back up' will be - e.g. some of the nonsense calls for Lacazette as back-up last year).

It's all about smart deals. January will be when we get a real sense of Walsh's ability as a DOF (in terms of transfers at least) I think, and the club's ability to get the deals done early.

On my point about position, if we were to be in a hunt for top six come Jan, then you'd think it would be easier to attract players.

Should we be 9th/10th, it'll likely prove just as difficult as it did in the summer - though again I'm not saying that should be used as an excuse.

Personally, I'd like to see these areas addressed in the upcoming window:

- Striker
- Central-midfield (esp. given Gueye's absence through Jan)
- A more creative (or, 'link' player) for the final-third

Centre-back, goalkeeper - then IMO should be targeted in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back