Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually think thats a Myth in many ways, it's a bad time for CL teams to try to bring in players - as lets face it most of there targets will be ineligible for there european games more likely than not - as they are buying usually from other teams who've had European footy that season, it's also a nice convenient excuse about it being a bad time for those owners that don't want to invest and use it as the reason why the didn't/couldn't.

Suarez signed January 2011 (almost won them the league single handedly)
Evra signed January 2006 (one of the best fullbacks in the league for best part of a decade)
Arteta singed January 2005 (arguably are best creative player in the past 25 years)
Dugary sigbned January 2003 (goals basically kept Birmingham up that season)
Vidic signed January 2006 (One of the best cb's in the past 20 years in the division)
Young (from watford to villa) signed January 2007 - great player for them and made a huge prfit selling him on years later.
Macherano - to Liverpool- signed January 2007 - was a great signing for them
Sturridge - January 2013 - for the fee they paid and his mfirst few years - a great signing again
Matic - sgined 2014 january - a massive reason that Chelse awon the league
Cahill - sgined by chelsea in january as well, dont rate him but a mainstay in that team
Mahrez - signed during January by Leicester
Ivanovic in 2008

thats not even looking abroad where the likes of Rakatic joined sevilla in January 11, Jaunfran to Athletico, Higuain t Madrid from River, Marcelo to Madrid, Silva to Milan.

So yeah players can be bpought during a transfer winter window, buit the narrative is that it's almost impossible

Mgeady signed in January.... let's wait till summer shall we? :)

I want a goalkeeper, one central midfielder and one left-winger. I cannot see Koeman signing an expensive striker to replace Valencia who has not been needed yet.
Think it's important to point out that 'used' and 'needed' are not necessarily interchangeable in this context. There have definitely been occasions when we needed a second striker to come on and change the game, but it appears that Koeman doesn't see Valencia as capable of doing that.

Think it's important to point out that 'used' and 'needed' are not necessarily interchangeable in this context. There have definitely been occasions when we needed a second striker to come on and change the game, but it appears that Koeman doesn't see Valencia as capable of doing that.

Fact west ham where more than happy to farm him to us on loan when they have no striker themselves should have had alarm bells ringing, awful decision whoever gave that the nod.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...tri-payet-set-9210064#rlabs=1 rt$category p$2

2i6kto1.gif

I see West Ham are paying their star player £125,000 per week. Watford pay Deeney £100,000 per week. How much does a star player get at Everton? I think we might still be paying the 2007 mid table rates.

Hmmm unless things have changed then Lukaku is still top earner i think at something like 80-85k pw?

Baines possibly the exception, with him not playing. BUT, he has been part of this squad, and its failures for a long time.

True.

But, so has Lukaku, so has Barkley etc. (on the whole).

Coleman, baines, Williams - all more than good enough.

The issue is competition and back-up.

Coleman's poor form is totally exaggerated, IMO. He was crap the other day but they all were. Overall he's been fine and has even shown glimpses of being back to his better form.

Jagielka - looks like his legs may finally 'have gone'. A shame but it was bound to happen at some stage.

Funes Mori - jury is still out. I don't mind him, but he's just too rash IMO to ever make me feel comfortable with him at the back.

True.

But, so has Lukaku, so has Barkley etc. (on the whole).

Coleman, baines, Williams - all more than good enough.

The issue is competition and back-up.

Coleman's poor form is totally exaggerated, IMO. He was crap the other day but they all were. Overall he's been fine and has even shown glimpses of being back to his better form.

Jagielka - looks like his legs may finally 'have gone'. A shame but it was bound to happen at some stage.

Funes Mori - jury is still out. I don't mind him, but he's just too rash IMO to ever make me feel comfortable with him at the back.

Its more than an ability thing for me know. My thinking with Coleman and even Baines, is they are a reminder of what we are and have been for so long and we just need fresh young players.

If we have older players, what is their "experience" ?? Barry aside, nobody has won a thing, and don't have that winners mentality, if anything Baines and Coleman have decided to stay with us, maybe for safety ?? But certainly not for ambition.

I do like them, but im wondering about the bigger picture now.

Its more than an ability thing for me know. My thinking with Coleman and even Baines, is they are a reminder of what we are and have been for so long and we just need fresh young players.

If we have older players, what is their "experience" ?? Barry aside, nobody has won a thing, and don't have that winners mentality, if anything Baines and Coleman have decided to stay with us, maybe for safety ?? But certainly not for ambition.

I do like them, but im wondering about the bigger picture now.

But it's all about igniting that ambition.

What 'winners' did Leicester have?

In RM's first season, the entire squad and club had this unshakeable belief.

Sadly that has been so depleted over the course of two years it is now very hard to get back. But, key to it is Koeman adding quality in the areas that have been needed for so long. Our first-choice full-backs really aren't the issue, though we do need more quality in terms of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back