Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means, in a nut shell, that we/he can afford to buy pretty much anyone, (within reason), but cos we dont make that much actual money as a club, we cant afford to pay them very much. Relatively that is. The PL didnt want the huge TV cash to be used to mainly pay mega salaries, (haha), so despite having that wedge, we can "only" use £7m of that PA for increased wages. Profit from other stuff can be used, hence Stones going.

The profit from Stones freed that up a lot, but that profit can only be used for daft wages last summer, and this upcoming January.

...cheers. I remember you highlighting the Stones money would cover salary. This has to be problematic for us but I suppose there are ways around it (paying huge signing fees for example).

...cheers. I remember you highlighting the Stones money would cover salary. This has to be problematic for us but I suppose there are ways around it (paying huge signing fees for example).

Trouble is mate, other clubs that might be competing for said players can easily offer fantastic wages. Not sure how a signing on fee is seen in the rules, but as its a payment to a player, I would be surprised if it wasnt seen as part of his remuneration. Image rights? Might be mileage in that maybe.

Even selling someone like Cleverly for £6 to 8 mil, would be a boost mind.

But I think the Chang deal stops next season, and the Kitbag one can be terminated I think, so again, just getting then binned and a decent replacement in all adds to the pot.

Or just sell naming rights for Goodison.........

It means, in a nut shell, that we/he can afford to buy pretty much anyone, (within reason), but cos we dont make that much actual money as a club, we cant afford to pay them very much. Relatively that is. The PL didnt want the huge TV cash to be used to mainly pay mega salaries, (haha), so despite having that wedge, we can "only" use £7m of that PA for increased wages. Profit from other stuff can be used, hence Stones going.

The profit from Stones freed that up a lot, but that profit can only be used for daft wages last summer, and this upcoming January.
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that we have 47 million from Stones, plus 7 million from TV to spend on wages, 54 million on wages, is that for new signings only or for all playing staff and is that per annum.
Confused.com here

Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that we have 47 million from Stones, plus 7 million from TV to spend on wages, 54 million on wages, is that for new signings only or for all playing staff and is that per annum.
Confused.com here

Not sure it is as cut and dried as that, (profit on Stones only, so the fee, less the fee we paid, less the sell on fee to Barnsley) but pretty much.

Soz, edit, think they apply a % figure to that.

Confused.com here

....I think @roydo indicated the Stones money could only be used to 'draft' monies for last summer.

Ok thanks, one thing I do wonder is how do Man City do it, are they bending the rules somehow, I just wondered?
My last question, promise

No worries. Manchester City have a far larger income/profit than we do, so it barely affects them. Same with Leicester, (I know!), and most clubs at the top end.

We can spend what we want on the ground, facilities, even players. It is the rules surrounding the new TV deal that control the amount we can spend on actual wages only that is the problem/issue.

....Moshiri's comments regarding 'a big new ground' being important will be linked to our spending power under fair play rules. Forward thinking but patience required.

Basically mate, as soon as we sold stones we had an almost ulimited ability to increase our wages - to around the tune ofbeing able to pay about1m more per week than we currently do in the squad, as it happens we used just a fraction of that - best guestimate after the playerswho we released and sold,and brought in we probably increased thewages if at all by no more than 100k pw, which essentially means that one of the major advantages stated witgh selling stones was entirely watsed and will effectively neccesitate anothe rbig sale next summer - IF theplan is as was suggested to try to hugely bridge the gap between us and spurs

Ok thanks, one thing I do wonder is how do Man City do it, are they bending the rules somehow, I just wondered?
My last question, promise

In short Cities owners massively sponsor them, and unless i'm very mistaken, it's a weird situation where all that counts is what the current wage structure is after the initial big boost, so say a massive sponsrship deal allows the wages to be raised significantly, once that deal lapses, then there is no repercussion on wgaes - ie. you dont have to suddenly cut wages in the team,

No worries. Manchester City have a far larger income/profit than we do, so it barely affects them. Same with Leicester, (I know!), and most clubs at the top end.

We can spend what we want on the ground, facilities, even players. It is the rules surrounding the new TV deal that control the amount we can spend on actual wages only that is the problem/issue.

Leicester don't mate, leicester where able to raise there wages significantly not due to sponsorship or anything else this summer, but entirely down to the basic flat rate that all premiership teams are allowed (67m i believe) and last season they where significantly udner that value 48.2m - they apparently icnreased it during the summer to 66m so basically the limit allowed to them

Boro for example are paying around 34m a year currently, nexdt season with no additional increase in revenue from commercial or player trading they could still increase up to 67m per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back