Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to a couple of people last night there seemed a lot of confidence that the targets identified were looking promising. Intention is to deal as early as possible with ideally 5 in a different similar number departing.

Finance is not an issue, there's no requirement to sell to buy but there is a recognition that there are too many drawing wages who are not contributing and won't contribute in the future.

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, two pieces of incoming business from Manchester United in Schneiderlin and Depay.

Pickford is high on the radar.

COME ON.

Study one
Study two
Study three

It's reasonable to expect a footballer to turn in strong seasons at the age of 28 or 29, but if you're hoping for them to still be on an ascending trajectory at that age you're essentially hoping for a fluke.

And again: the point I'm making is that 27 is the youngest signing (Gana, maybe Schneiderlin) of the Koeman/Walsh/Moshiri era. It's not a sustainable model.

Hi mate, Prevenger here. Your previous posts suggest that you're firmly on the road to becoming some sort of Zatara/Damo hybrid. I urge you to change course friend. For yourself, and for the good of the forum

How about Van Dijk mate?

Does Koeman still have any relationship with him to draw from?

Apparently still a very good relationship, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we are bidding for him. The question will be is the relationship strong enough versus likely bids from current CL clubs.

Speaking to a mate last night he reckons he's all but gone from Saints. He's devastated but that's them for you. Not sure if this window or the next though.

Apparently still a very good relationship, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we are bidding for him. The question will be is the relationship strong enough versus likely bids from current CL clubs.

Cheers

I assume with Depay and Schneiderlin on the radar, we aren't looking at any other midfield targets? (Which rules out going in for young Mr. Loftus-Cheek?)

I also assume the Lookman rumours are slightly more than just paper talk?

Talking to a couple of people last night there seemed a lot of confidence that the targets identified were looking promising. Intention is to deal as early as possible with ideally 5 in and a similar number departing.

Finance is not an issue, there's no requirement to sell to buy but there is a recognition that there are too many drawing wages who are not contributing and won't contribute in the future.

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, two pieces of incoming business from Manchester United in Schneiderlin and Depay.

Pickford is high on the radar.

outs- cleverley, gibson, oviedo, kone??

i think lennon and mccarthy should stay

Study one
Study two
Study three

It's reasonable to expect a footballer to turn in strong seasons at the age of 28 or 29, but if you're hoping for them to still be on an ascending trajectory at that age you're essentially hoping for a fluke.

And again: the point I'm making is that 27 is the youngest signing (Gana, maybe Schneiderlin) of the Koeman/Walsh/Moshiri era. It's not a sustainable model.

Ok mate, you know what those studies from briefly skimming them show me, the following

One is using the whoscored website as the index to calculate a players overall performance and at what age

Another is using minutes played as its basis for calculating the peak part of a career age wise

And the cartalige free captain one - again uses minutes played and its sample range is from 2011/12 season until the article date of december 2013

as for 27 being the youngest signing, errrm actually it isn't mate, we brought a striker on last night who we got this sumer and he is just 19

are 'older' signings are in centre midfield, centre back and goalkeeper, and a winger, the positions that tend to age fastest are wigners, fullbacks and strikers

ofc none of that takes into account the style' of the player, people relying on certain things and attributes age faster, one 27 yearold like Gibson is probably in a much worse physical condittion than say the average 32 yo player

Just looking at a study and thinking it gives the answers is frankly a bit silly, it's why moneyball transcribed over to footy will ultimately fail badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back