Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to a couple of people last night there seemed a lot of confidence that the targets identified were looking promising. Intention is to deal as early as possible with ideally 5 in and a similar number departing.

Finance is not an issue, there's no requirement to sell to buy but there is a recognition that there are too many drawing wages who are not contributing and won't contribute in the future.

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, two pieces of incoming business from Manchester United in Schneiderlin and Depay.

Pickford is high on the radar.

go on then mate, anyone mention Dzagoev last night? ;)

Speaking to a mate last night he reckons he's all but gone from Saints. He's devastated but that's them for you. Not sure if this window or the next though.

Think tbh mate even the most casual observer realises that any Saints player who plays exceptionally well for 2 seasons has zero chance of remaining there if unless they are aging

James is not a rumour merchant, a good journo.

Went from the Manchester Evening News to The Times, now with The Telegraph.
A good guy.

Aye mate wasn't trying to suggest he was a typcial rumour repeater, was more saying that unconfirmed united stuff he is normally pretty on the ball with if he does a story

Speaking to a mate last night he reckons he's all but gone from Saints. He's devastated but that's them for you. Not sure if this window or the next though.

His move to the Wasserman agency might just assist us also....

It's clear the mistakes of the summer are not going to be made again. Walsh has control of player recruitment and is going about his business.

I really think January is going to be an excellent month re transfers and other off the pitch business for the club.

Ok mate, you know what those studies from briefly skimming them show me, the following

One is using the whoscored website as the index to calculate a players overall performance and at what age

Another is using minutes played as its basis for calculating the peak part of a career age wise

And the cartalige free captain one - again uses minutes played and its sample range is from 2011/12 season until the article date of december 2013

as for 27 being the youngest signing, errrm actually it isn't mate, we brought a striker on last night who we got this sumer and he is just 19

are 'older' signings are in centre midfield, centre back and goalkeeper, and a winger, the positions that tend to age fastest are wigners, fullbacks and strikers

ofc none of that takes into account the style' of the player, people relying on certain things and attributes age faster, one 27 yearold like Gibson is probably in a much worse physical condittion than say the average 32 yo player

Just looking at a study and thinking it gives the answers is frankly a bit silly, it's why moneyball transcribed over to footy will ultimately fail badly

Don't feed him mate, I sense his statistical smug feeds off human attention

Talking to a couple of people last night there seemed a lot of confidence that the targets identified were looking promising. Intention is to deal as early as possible with ideally 5 in and a similar number departing.

Finance is not an issue, there's no requirement to sell to buy but there is a recognition that there are too many drawing wages who are not contributing and won't contribute in the future.

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, two pieces of incoming business from Manchester United in Schneiderlin and Depay.

Pickford is high on the radar.
Watched an interview yesterday with Sunderland Chairman, and he said funds will be very tight in January to strengthen their squad. Selling Pickford could well be there only option to get more players in, or we could offer them Gibson, Cleverly, and Niasse. for Pickford!

His move to the Wasserman agency might just assist us also....

It's clear the mistakes of the summer are not going to be made again. Walsh has control of player recruitment and is going about his business.

I really think January is going to be an excellent month rent transfers and other off the pitch business for the club.

Hurrah ......... Rent boys!!

Hi mate, Prevenger here. Your previous posts suggest that you're firmly on the road to becoming some sort of Zatara/Damo hybrid. I urge you to change course friend. For yourself, and for the good of the forum

No need for introduction, you're a legend.

Sport happens to be my industry, and I spend most of my time researching two topics in particular: athlete development and how to best build teams. In fact, I'm putting together development proposals in England as we speak.

I don't ascribe to Zatara's theory that younger is better. I do believe, however, that the club needs to do a better job developing players, and that signing and developing younger players is the most financially efficient way of building a team.

Watched an interview yesterday with Sunderland Chairman, and he said funds will be very tight in January to strengthen their squad. Selling Pickford could well be there only option to get more players in, or we could offer them Gibson, Cleverly, and Niasse. for Pickford!

Jags has to be a possibility to Sunderland especially if we do land Van Dijk.

I read about 3 paragraphs of each study mate and quickly formed the opinion it's the type of studies that feed the moneyball will work in football myth

Midtjylaand or whatever they're called used it to great effect? But they basically focused on setpieces, the only parts of football that you could quantify in any applicable way. Not buying a player just because he's 27 or 28 is Zat-level demented

His best season under Koeman when he was arguably the leagues stand out centre midfielder he played a box to box role mate alongside a defensive workhorse midfiedler

Could the same not be said for McCarthy in his first season under Martinez? I rate Schneiderlin very highly and am amazed he hasn't had a run for United but not sure he's much different to McCarthy at his best. That's meant as praise for McCarthy not criticism of Schneiderlin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back