Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a big advocate of signing talent under 23, but the aims now is to get back into Europe. Right now we need players to get us there, with Barkley, Lukaku, Holgate, Coleman, Gueye balancing the average age with the likes of Barry, Jagielka and Williams. Once we have European football, then we can look at investing in the future as well as the current squad.

Study one
Study two
Study three

It's reasonable to expect a footballer to turn in strong seasons at the age of 28 or 29, but if you're hoping for them to still be on an ascending trajectory at that age you're essentially hoping for a fluke.

And again: the point I'm making is that 27 is the youngest signing (Gana, maybe Schneiderlin) of the Koeman/Walsh/Moshiri era. It's not a sustainable model.

Although the decline of a player is 28 onwards as many agree, these days science/technology has moved on greatly, I know Milan have a cracking 'Lab' that extends players careers in the later stages. See Maldini and Zanetti as two greats into 38-40 range.

We are in exactly the same place as were in the summer, that being we need to cleanse Finch Farm of about 4 human beings who are clearly neither use nor ornament to us as a football club.

Gibson, Cleverley, Kone, Niasse.

Add to them the players not many of us would be too arsed to see the back of - Oviedo, Del, Lennon, Mirallas, Besic, Robles, McCArthy (though I think he should be kept).

Then the players who father time has caught up with - Jags, Baines and Barry.

You really do realise what a massive rebuilding job the manager has walked into here.

Some of the players in the last 2 groups are still capable of turning in a performance now and again though, as Tuesday night clearly showed, which makes his job even tougher as he has to get the balance right.

We are in exactly the same place as were in the summer, that being we need to cleanse Finch Farm of about 4 human beings who are clearly neither use nor ornament to us as a football club.

Gibson, Cleverley, Kone, Niasse.

Add to them the players not many of us would be too arsed to see the back of - Oviedo, Del, Lennon, Mirallas, Besic, Robles, McCArthy (though I think he should be kept).

Then the players who father time has caught up with - Jags, Baines and Barry.

You really do realise what a massive rebuilding job the manager has walked into here.

Some of the players in the last 2 groups are still capable of turning in a performance now and again though, as Tuesday night clearly showed, which makes his job even tougher as he has to get the balance right.
I think Del is worth keeping for the time being. He's still young and the talent is clearly there. If, come the Summer the manager thinks he's not up to the task ship him back to Spain.
Wouldn't be bothered to see the back of Mirallas or Lennon assuming we bring in someone to replace them.

Niasse isn't in the squad mate, so 24.

Nit picking really, doesn't change the need to sell.
Niasse isn't in the squad mate

Niasse was named in the squad we submitted to the premier league.

Is Yan-Bo not classed as homegrown also? I know he represents Dr. Congo, but I was of the understanding he had always played in the English leagues?

He spent a year in Malta, I couldnt find out for sure, but most things I read indicated he wasnt HG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back