Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, My mate knows Josh Magennis (Charlton CF), and he thinks this kid is very good. League 1 tho.

...yep, it's a big step up but if the links are true SW clearly feels he's capable. Interesting that Charlton apparently want him back on loan but Everton are not keen on such an arrangement which suggests that he could get game time.

He played the full game for Charlton yesterday.

I guess I'm greedy but the perennial worry for me is that we actually spend "big" in January and then find ourselves looking for bargains in the summer.

The Lukaku situation will obviously have an impact then, but stating the obvious we need perhaps 3 consecutive windows of sustained, and by our standards, significant investment.

I don't think we can spend big on short-term fixes either, I echo the sentiments of those saying we should prioritise lowering the age of the squad, and spending big only on players under 25, with one or two exceptions. We really have an aged squad, and it doesn't make footballing nor financial sense to spend only to require a similar squad churn all over again in 3 or 4 years.

The bulk of money spent should be on players who fit that younger age bracket, that can potentially be here for 5 years or more, or can be developed such that they can be sold at a big profit margin.

Koeman might want a short-term fix, but logically this would seem to go against strategic planning and how I would expect Walsh to view his own role in terms of future planning.

I don't know.. we've fell short in many league campaigns by not buying top quality additions in Jan. We need to get into Europe then we can build a team to be a force for the future

I guess I'm greedy but the perennial worry for me is that we actually spend "big" in January and then find ourselves looking for bargains in the summer.

The Lukaku situation will obviously have an impact then, but stating the obvious we need perhaps 3 consecutive windows of sustained, and by our standards, significant investment.

I don't think we can spend big on short-term fixes either, I echo the sentiments of those saying we should prioritise lowering the age of the squad, and spending big only on players under 25, with one or two exceptions. We really have an aged squad, and it doesn't make footballing nor financial sense to spend only to require a similar squad churn all over again in 3 or 4 years.

The bulk of money spent should be on players who fit that younger age bracket, that can potentially be here for 5 years or more, or can be developed such that they can be sold at a big profit margin.

Koeman might want a short-term fix, but logically this would seem to go against strategic planning and how I would expect Walsh to view his own role in terms of future planning.

It's definitely a legitimate worry. I think this is where you see the synthesis between Koeman and Walsh as very important though. You can imagine lads like Schneiderlin, Depay, Fonte (if it has any legs) will be being driven by the manager and his knees for the next 6 months. In all honesty we don't need Walsh for these signings, they are all proven in their own right and Koeman rates them highly.

However Walsh needs to come into his own in finding younger players. Cookman is a classic example of this. We have also looked closely at Dolberg, a forward at AIK and I see a younger Danish international midfielder too. Possibly Amavi can be thrown onto that list from Villa. Generally younger, more unknown players.

I have to say I am far more optimistic than I was 3 months ago. Not only are we linked with some impressive names but it lookalike we can complete. If Depay and Schneiderlin arrive here in the first few days of the window, it will radically shift the narrative both amongst Evertonians and the wider public.

i think a lot of signs seem to point that we'll bring in a left back (Taylor from leeds and amavi from villa) possibly even this jan and for once, it's not being made up as "united are going to sign baines". I personally think that can wait until the summer as we have more pressing matters, but if we buy about 6 or 7, including a LB i won't complain.

I just switched on the Villa v QPR game and the commentator was saying that Everton are interested Amavi who was playing. The commentator said that Liverpool had apparently been interested for months but haven't made a move.

I just switched on the Villa v QPR game and the commentator was saying that Everton are interested Amavi who was playing. The commentator said that Liverpool had apparently been interested for months but haven't made a move.

That'd be Amavi.

Based on our record of signing players from that team I'd be all over him.

Know nothing of Amavi but our last signing from Villa wasn't half bad was he, I believe Walsh knows a player when he sees one and clever bargains excite me every bit as much as big name signings.

...yep, it's a big step up but if the links are true SW clearly feels he's capable. Interesting that Charlton apparently want him back on loan but Everton are not keen on such an arrangement which suggests that he could get game time.

He played the full game for Charlton yesterday.
Demari gray looks a cracking player Walsh bought him hopefully this lad is even better

I think it might be sensible to buck the trend and look to do something big business in January rather than waiting for the summer. We all know Rom is off in the summer so we don't want a repeat of the Stones situation which got drawn out causing us issues in getting players in early. We have a lot of rebuilding to do. We need a goal keeper, a centre back, maybe a young left back, attacking central midfielder, left winger & 2 strikers over the next couple of windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back