Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reasoning behind that sale is open for interpretation though ;)

Selling a player every year for big money is not something i am against though. There is always the argument of retaining your best players sure, but i am a firm believer in strengthening rather than following the stubborn everton way. So for example we sell lukaku for 65 million in the summer, we then bring 3 players in with that money who over a longer term can improve the team. Then if come the following summer we sell one of those for 40 million to one of the top teams, then do it again, over time i would imagine the quality improves quite a bit then and hopefully on the pitch moves us closer to being that team who then one summer doesn't need to sell to anyone else. many successful clubs do this method, just the key is signing better players when you sell, rather than just signing players.

In terms of Koeman, i think to a certain extent he feels a little bit in over his head at the minute, mainly because whereas he was fine at southampton, he can see all the shortcomings of the squad here. That is what concerns me right now, without board backing to be able to fix it, does he see this job as one for him? Not saying he will walk out on us but at least keep one eye on the next big contract on offer. I suggest this on the basis that when you look at the squad you see the likes of gibson/McCarthy/besic as his midfield cover and they seem to pick up injuries more often than they should. Realistically we nee dto be looking at swapping at least 2 of them out sooner rather than later but can you see the club doing that? We barely sign players as it is on mass without having to spend extra doing it at the same time.

I agree with all your points there Ash.

I see us gradually changing the outlook of the squad over the next two windows. The squad players that aren't good enough must go, and they must be replaced by players who can impact the first team.

Too many players in this squad are all extremely average at doing exactly the same job/filling the same role.

Selling a player every year for big money is not something i am against though. There is always the argument of retaining your best players sure, but i am a firm believer in strengthening rather than following the stubborn everton way. So for example we sell lukaku for 65 million in the summer, we then bring 3 players in with that money who over a longer term can improve the team. Then if come the following summer we sell one of those for 40 million to one of the top teams, then do it again, over time i would imagine the quality improves quite a bit then and hopefully on the pitch moves us closer to being that team who then one summer doesn't need to sell to anyone else. many successful clubs do this method, just the key is signing better players when you sell, rather than just signing players.

In terms of Koeman, i think to a certain extent he feels a little bit in over his head at the minute, mainly because whereas he was fine at southampton, he can see all the shortcomings of the squad here. That is what concerns me right now, without board backing to be able to fix it, does he see this job as one for him? Not saying he will walk out on us but at least keep one eye on the next big contract on offer. I suggest this on the basis that when you look at the squad you see the likes of gibson/McCarthy/besic as his midfield cover and they seem to pick up injuries more often than they should. Realistically we nee dto be looking at swapping at least 2 of them out sooner rather than later but can you see the club doing that? We barely sign players as it is on mass without having to spend extra doing it at the same time.
You talk some absolute tosh lad.You keep harping on about the board not backing the manager and keep refering to the lack of spending in the summer.
What sort of evidence do you have he wont get this backing when its patently obvious its the reason why Moshiri convinced Koeman to leave a club already in europe in the first place.
Nothing has changed, there is no quick fix here .The 3 targets we missed out on total over 100 mil so you think that wont still be there?
You need to shake your head mate.
Stop talking nonesense.

I agree with all your points there Ash.

I see us gradually changing the outlook of the squad over the next two windows. The squad players that aren't good enough must go, and they must be replaced by players who can impact the first team.

Too many players in this squad are all extremely average at doing exactly the same job/filling the same role.
To be honest i think over certainly the past few years we have simply signed players to fill gaps in the squad without any means of planning by either the club nor the manager. Take Roberto's first summer, we signed a GK/defender/winger/CM/striker with barry and lukaku being additional on top of that. Compare it to this summer, we signed a GK/Defender/Winger/CM/Striker again. Just filled gaps rather than genuinely planned a squad. Both times we have retained the players here without actually looking to offload them, to be honest when was the last time we sold our players who aren't good enough in one summer? That is a massive issue, and comments made by the owner about being part of the family makes that even worse to me, removes any ruthlessness about the team, no matter how much koeman has control over it.

Right now we need to be looking at replacing, for me, gibson/oviedo/kone/niasse/besic as players alone who are either not premier league quality or far too injury prone for us. I love besic, think he is a fantastic talent, but plays like 5 games a season. If we want Koeman to succeed here then we need to give him a squad he can use, not one set of 11 and hope. Even looking at southampton he had a choice of austin/pelle/long at any given time. Who has he got here?

You talk some absolute tosh lad.You keep harping on about the board not backing the manager and keep refering to the lack of spending in the summer.
What sort of evidence do you have he wont get this backing when its patently obvious its the reason why Moshiri convinced Koeman to leave a club already in europe in the first place.
Nothing has changed, there is no quick fix here .The 3 targets we missed out on total over 100 mil so you think that wont still be there?
You need to shake your head mate.
Stop talking nonesense.
Honestly, no i don't think the money will be there. I am not sure you are willing to accept just how bad the summer was, literally only 4 clubs made a profit mate, liverpool sold players to do it, southampton sold like they normally do, and swansea after we bought their captain. So no billionaire money, no tv money, nothing. Sell to buy and hope the manager does the rest. but yeah, the 3 targets we missed out on, funny how if we signed them we spend as you say 100 million, and not getting them meant we spent nothing? Jesus you have been a blue probably long enough to see this isn't a new thing for us, money vanishing, lack of spending, cheap options etc. Vault me if we go out and spend money in january like you suggest, but i had that same conversation in the summer and look how that turned up.

You say what evidence have i got? I'd say the last 20 years pretty much is evidence by itself.

but i am talking nonsense? Same as the people on here was talking nonsense in the summer when they said we wouldn't be signing all these boss players and spending all this money? Even now what is the difference between Moshiri talking about investing in the team this week, and 'the arteta money is there'? You choose to have blind faith and i commend you for that, i had that once as well. Sadly it burnt out after yet another groundhog day summer where even i believed for one minute that we were planning on signing players.

Also what convinced Koeman to come here? I don't know, maybe the fact we wouldn't fire sale his first team and agreed to give him probably a massive pay rise in the process?

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Lescott, Baines, Pienaar (Stubbs 87), Osman, Carsley, Cahill (Gravesen 65), Arteta, McFadden (Anichebe 65).
Subs Not Used: Wessels, Jagielka, Yakubu, Nuno Valente.

Booked: Lescott, Yobo, Gravesen.

Goals: Cahill 14, Osman 50, Anichebe 85.

I see what @BlueToff means, I was thinking more about the original Gravesen, not the injury prone bald headed maniac that returned to us a couple of seasons later....... Come to think of it the only difference was the injury prone bit. Miss you TommyG.

....sounds easy, but the challenge is bringing in '3 players to improve the team'. It only takes one or two windows of selling your best and replacing them with failures to put you in real doo doo.

....sounds easy, but the challenge is bringing in '3 players to improve the team'. It only takes one or two windows of selling your best and replacing them with failures to put you in real doo doo.
that is why you hire people (for example walsh) to spend all the time between windows to be sorting that out.

It is a theoretical approach yes, and there can be failures signed. But to be honest you could keep the purse closed and still sign failures (Niasse) so the chance of a good player not making it makes no odds how you approach it. Either way i would hope the recruitment of Walsh is for exactly this, to find the right players for the club and spend all his time scouting them before we put a bid in.

that is why you hire people (for example walsh) to spend all the time between windows to be sorting that out.

It is a theoretical approach yes, and there can be failures signed. But to be honest you could keep the purse closed and still sign failures (Niasse) so the chance of a good player not making it makes no odds how you approach it. Either way i would hope the recruitment of Walsh is for exactly this, to find the right players for the club and spend all his time scouting them before we put a bid in.

..I agree, so much is down to the skill of the manager/DoF in the transfer market. That's why I'm not big on having a view on new players, especially folk on here saying we should sign this fella or that fella. RK and SW know what types they need to fit the way they want to play. Ultimately if they fail to move us in the right direction they will be sacked.

Honestly, no i don't think the money will be there. I am not sure you are willing to accept just how bad the summer was, literally only 4 clubs made a profit mate, liverpool sold players to do it, southampton sold like they normally do, and swansea after we bought their captain. So no billionaire money, no tv money, nothing. Sell to buy and hope the manager does the rest. but yeah, the 3 targets we missed out on, funny how if we signed them we spend as you say 100 million, and not getting them meant we spent nothing? Jesus you have been a blue probably long enough to see this isn't a new thing for us, money vanishing, lack of spending, cheap options etc. Vault me if we go out and spend money in january like you suggest, but i had that same conversation in the summer and look how that turned up.

You say what evidence have i got? I'd say the last 20 years pretty much is evidence by itself.

but i am talking nonsense? Same as the people on here was talking nonsense in the summer when they said we wouldn't be signing all these boss players and spending all this money? Even now what is the difference between Moshiri talking about investing in the team this week, and 'the arteta money is there'? You choose to have blind faith and i commend you for that, i had that once as well. Sadly it burnt out after yet another groundhog day summer where even i believed for one minute that we were planning on signing players.

Also what convinced Koeman to come here? I don't know, maybe the fact we wouldn't fire sale his first team and agreed to give him probably a massive pay rise in the process?
So it was all lies from Moshiri last week then ? You are talking about the last 20 years and convienently bundling Moshiri & Koeman into it. They have been in place for a matter of months , but you cling on to this "nothing has changed". Open your eyes sit back and let it all unfold. Koeman has openly admitted it will take 2 years to turn the squad around , he's also (rightly) gave the current playing staff a chance. Those that havent stepped up will not be here shortly. So stop making silly statements until the 2 years is up.Personally I've waited many many years to see this sort of investment and willingness to put us back at the Top Table. Have some faith (yep the thing thats been in short supply for over 20 yrs) Make no mistake Moshiri is the real deal he will not fail to make this club great again.As with any Great Plan / Project it wont happen overnight.

..I agree, so much is down to the skill of the manager/DoF in the transfer market. That's why I'm not big on having a view on new players, especially folk on here saying we should sign this fella or that fella. RK and SW know what types they need to fit the way they want to play. Ultimately if they fail to move us in the right direction they will be sacked.

I agree, whilst its fun to speculate 99% of players we are strongly or vaguely linked with will never sign anyway, who we get will be down to RK/SW.

I will be disappointed if we don't make at least one signing in January, of a sort that is capable of going straight into the team and improving us in that position, and more generally.

I think Lukaku is 95% gone in the summer, he has probably been given assurances that we will not stand in his way. The media will be very hawkish about it, and RK's comments have added fuel to that fire.

There is going to be an awful lot of churn in the squad in the next 18 months either way.

and on the flip side buying one or two gems can get you competing for the title given the competitive nature of this league. Look at west ham with their one man team last season finishing 5th because they got payet. Leicester picking up a few gems in kante, mahrez and vardy and nobody bar arsenal could live with them.

So it was all lies from Moshiri last week then ? You are talking about the last 20 years and convienently bundling Moshiri & Koeman into it. They have been in place for a matter of months , but you cling on to this "nothing has changed". Open your eyes sit back and let it all unfold. Koeman has openly admitted it will take 2 years to turn the squad around , he's also (rightly) gave the current playing staff a chance. Those that havent stepped up will not be here shortly. So stop making silly statements until the 2 years is up.Personally I've waited many many years to see this sort of investment and willingness to put us back at the Top Table. Have some faith (yep the thing thats been in short supply for over 20 yrs) Make no mistake Moshiri is the real deal he will not fail to make this club great again.As with any Great Plan / Project it wont happen overnight.

the bit in bold above mate. Kenwright told us once we were doing business early, we sold 2 strikers and arteta that summer and loaned in a couple of players who were being banded about the country just to fill the squad up. Just as one example that generally what the club says and what it actually means is two different things. So again, is it not just blindly believing in what the official club account of things are despite the experience? Even Kenwright himself in that blue union meeting denied any connection to Phillip Green and yet MPs the other week confirmed it, and that was a behind closed doors interview.

the reason why i mention kenwright when i say this is because he is still here, and still playing a prominent role in the club. A bit contradictory from me but believing what Moshiri says, sounds like he will have that role in the future to come as well. So when the fella who loaned the club out every year, didn't back managers, short term planning and the rest suddenly shows up again dealing with transfers? Then the club does not spend any money whatsoever? Is that a coincidence?

See and the other thing you mention, sit back and let it all unfold. I am. In fact more so than you, I don't expect millions to be spent any time soon or boss players to all be lining up to come here. I don't buy into everything i am told by the club anymore, i don't expect us to go from mid table to boss team any time soon, so all i am doing is sitting back. So right now, i support what we have, what we are, not hoping we become something better. I am not going to be dancing around singing any song of the future, i support the right now, and the team/manager right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back