Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is van Dijk worth £50m+ as a player? No of course he isn't. There are other defenders out there I'm sure who'd cost a fraction of the price and are just as good. However, he'd represent a statement signing. Plucky little Everton in mega transfersum move for player on the radar of the 'big 4'. Would see media, clubs, players and agents take notice of that so called 'Moshiri project' at Everton. We're in desperate need of such a statement signing imo. Send the message out that Everton really are back amongst the big spenders and that we're willing to go the distance required to land our targets. That combined with a good worldwide scouting network and a top class academy is the way to get back amongst the big boys.

Is van Dijk worth £50m+ as a player? No of course he isn't. There are other defenders out there I'm sure who'd cost a fraction of the price and are just as good. However, he'd represent a statement signing. Plucky little Everton in mega transfersum move for player on the radar of the 'big 4'. Would see media, clubs, players and agents take notice of that so called 'Moshiri project' at Everton. We're in desperate need of such a statement signing imo. Send the message out that Everton really are back amongst the big spenders and that we're willing to go the distance required to land our targets. That combined with a good worldwide scouting network and a top class academy is the way to get back amongst the big boys.
I'd rather splash that kind of cash on a creative goalscoring player though, and spend 10-15 on a solid defender.

In principle I agree with this.

However a mate of mine whose footballing judgement I trust goes to every under 23 and reserve game and says that apart from Holgate and Davies there is nothing in the pipeline remotely good enough for the first team.

We saw more of them against Norwich + Calvert-Lewin.

The idea that a 23-year old doesn't have room for improvement is utter nonsense.

The human brain doesn't finish developing until the age of 25 or 26. That's especially true of the prefrontal cortex, which controls decision making, problem solving and most other executive functions that are crucial to being able to think through a football match.

What relevance does this have to my post?

I'd rather splash that kind of cash on a creative goalscoring player though, and spend 10-15 on a solid defender.

I'd much rather have a fantastic keeper and quality defence.

We would play 15 yards further up the pitch and logically concede less (better players) and score more (further up the pitch).

No excuses now Farhaud, the window is open. Now put your money where your mouth is and show everyone you're not the charlatan we all think you are.

Money talks. Get talkin.

I hope to god we don't spend that much on van dijk, I doubt we would. He's alright like, but I think the camparisons with lescott are fair in that their goal scoring papers over their errors in defence.

I also don't think it'd be that much of a statement. If we compare it to Robinho to city for example, it's way off that imo. Maybe I just don't like van dijk's hair, but I'd rather a rock solid centre back who's a wonderful defender instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back