Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is van Dijk worth £50m+ as a player? No of course he isn't. There are other defenders out there I'm sure who'd cost a fraction of the price and are just as good. However, he'd represent a statement signing. Plucky little Everton in mega transfersum move for player on the radar of the 'big 4'. Would see media, clubs, players and agents take notice of that so called 'Moshiri project' at Everton. We're in desperate need of such a statement signing imo. Send the message out that Everton really are back amongst the big spenders and that we're willing to go the distance required to land our targets. That combined with a good worldwide scouting network and a top class academy is the way to get back amongst the big boys.

Pricing i think is very subjective in many ways. Van Dijk is 24 has proven to be successful relatively everywhere he has gone and quickly established himself as one of the best defenders in every league he has played in. He has had and still does have bags of potential to grow into.

At 24 your looking at an approx ten year career, so your looking at 5mill a year thats very different to say buying someone like say Fonte for 12 mill at 33. Additionally your looking at a high resale value at 28/29 in five years time so its a sound enough investment, someone like Chirs Smalling is 27/28 now, United signed him for about 5mill, hes prob worth 30mill + now to move him. Many bauked at 29 mill for Lukaku we would be disgusted if he moved for less then 80 million now.

I think that you have to look at every deal in this way.

Pricing i think is very subjective in many ways. Van Dijk is 24 has proven to be successful relatively everywhere he has gone and quickly established himself as one of the best defenders in every league he has played in. He has had and still does have bags of potential to grow into.

At 24 your looking at an approx ten year career, so your looking at 5mill a year thats very different to say buying someone like say Fonte for 12 mill at 33. Additionally your looking at a high resale value at 28/29 in five years time so its a sound enough investment, someone like Chirs Smalling is 27/28 now, United signed him for about 5mill, hes prob worth 30mill + now to move him. Many bauked at 29 mill for Lukaku we would be disgusted if he moved for less then 80 million now.

I think that you have to look at every deal in this way.

Yep I was thinking this about VVD. It wouldn't shock me (if he comes here - I'd still be very surprised) if we sold him in 2-3 years for a high fee, with a readymade replacement lined up. Perhaps when Koeman leaves.

If you asked me now would i want Stones or VVD for free.

I would take VVD.

We got over 40m for Stones, so throw the lot at him.

If by the start of next season we had Holgate, VVD and possibly Keane from Burnley with Williams as the older head I would be extatic. Great sides are built from the back.

We can rule Van Dijk out now

This honestly surprises me. Vvd is left sided or could play central in a three. That's where Chelsea have Azpilicueta and Luiz who you'd imagine are absolutely rock solid first choice. Cahill on the right is the one who could do with an upgrade.

How long do you think Stones will last at City? Football is getting more and more physical.
I dont think it is getting more physical. An yeah he hasnt done that well so far at city but they set up just like a martines team. The defence is the last consideration. If it was up to guardiola hr wouldnt play with a keeper he would stick an extra man in midfield.

This honestly surprises me. Vvd is left sided or could play central in a three. That's where Chelsea have Azpilicueta and Luiz who you'd imagine are absolutely rock solid first choice. Cahill on the right is the one who could do with an upgrade.
VVD is a far better defender than Cahill and can easily adapt to where Chelsea play him. Really surprised city haven't made a move as without kompany they look lost at the back. It was always going to be a long shot to get VVD, now Chelsea have come calling we need to look to other targets.

We are like the transfer fluffers.

We need to spend way over the odds.
That was how City established themselves. We have no choice if we are looking to compete for talent.

Watching on Friday evening it was so frustrating to see that we drew that game due to old legs in defence and midfield.

Some no mark was able to run 30 yards before conning the ref to give a free kick out of Baines.

As soon as Davies came on we totally dominated the game. Just basic errors.

Pace is a staple of any modern footballer.

The current Liverpool team is full of average footballers in peak athletic form.

I cannot understand how people earning millions of pounds a year cannot solve this basic problem, be it from within or via the transfer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back