Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's imperative we strengthen the first team squad in the window but look at the midfield yesterday, Barkley and Davies two academy lads costing nothing were the stand out players in the game. If we're buying genuine first teamers to come in then no problem but I hope we don't waste money on squad fillers or backup as I'd rather the kids got a go. Dowell Pennington Holgate Kenny Connely as well as Davies all seem deserving of some game time.

Dowell - hasn't been great in the 23s this season. Needs a loan

Pennington - injured still

Kenny - we may see more of him towards the end of the season.

Davies - will be in the squad.

Lookman offers something totally different to all of them though.

...notice that Charlton did ok without him yesterday but in all seriousness I can see him being immediately involved in the first team. We have very little impact players to use off the bench and we might see him in that role to begin with. I wondered if he might be at the match yesterday but there were no reports.

I agree. We have lacked pace and energy for a while, and we are starting to get it back, which is a big bonus. Walsh also have a very strong record from lower leagues, so I think he will be quite close. I also think Depay may come as well, and that is probably more closely linked to Deulofeu leaving.

West Brom are weighing up a move to re-sign Shane Long. Boss Tony Pulis is keen to land a new striker this month and Long is the latest name under consideration at the Hawthorns. (Daily Mirror)(sorry)

Beaten too the punch again.

I know it's imperative we strengthen the first team squad in the window but look at the midfield yesterday, Barkley and Davies two academy lads costing nothing were the stand out players in the game. If we're buying genuine first teamers to come in then no problem but I hope we don't waste money on squad fillers or backup as I'd rather the kids got a go. Dowell Pennington Holgate Kenny Connely as well as Davies all seem deserving of some game time.

If we can (and it looks possible) fill 10 slots with youth out of the 25 squad places then we logically have more £££ to spend on quality to come straight into the eleven.

Dowell - hasn't been great in the 23s this season. Needs a loan

Pennington - injured still

Kenny - we may see more of him towards the end of the season.

Davies - will be in the squad.

Lookman offers something totally different to all of them though.

I'm not saying let's not get him. In the past though we've seen what I would consider to be filler signings made: Cleverley, Mcgeady, Alcaraz, Valencia (ok maybe a bit harsh), Atsu, Traore, even Kone to some extent. Would rather see young players given an opportunity than money wasted. Nothing wrong with buying young talent like Lookman Calvert Lewin etc. that's a very good strategy to get future quality like we did with Stones. When Koeman was looking at Martina in the summer though he missed out on him so was forced to play Holgate who then excelled saving us money and giving a young player a chance.

I see that. So he could be used similar to how we used Valencia yesterday. Like many others I want us to add a 'first teamer' or two and quickly. Midfield looks light with Gueye off to the ACN. Other positions needs strengthening too (as we all know).

...I keep saying we lack quality in the top third, let's hope this lad provides it. Rashford is a young lad who came on for United yesterday and immediately went past his full back, hit the bye line and changed the game with an assist. Lennon hardly crosses the half way line never mind going past his defender, I would hope Lookman immediately improves our attacking capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back