Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is worth pointing out here that Koeman has no qualms about sticking Barkley on the bench. I'm sure if Schneiderlin or Gueye were playing crap that they'd get the same treatment.

I'm just putting forth an argument for a particular-type of player that doesn't line up with my idea of Schneiderlin.
Ross needs his head wobbling.
Gana aside, the rest need shooting. Shallow grave. Move on.

Welcome Morgs.

I probably am being negative but that's because I don't see anything positive about the deal besides it gets someone new in who hasn't been stinking out Goodison Park for the last 4 months.

I don't see Barkley being the player to provide Lukaku, they've played together for 3 years now and Barkley has been no better at setting up Rom than Bolasie or Deulofeu. I love the lad but he doesn't seem to see the pass until it is too late and that has been the case for a while now. He is excellent at what he does but he is no magically-boss door-unlocker, he runs through your team and then wellies a shot with either foot.

I don't know why you think Schneiderlin replacing Barry is going to have this great effect on Barkley or lessen his defensive duties, if that was the case then arguably McCarthy could do that, especially if the issue just comes down to Barry's pace.

What does Schneiderlin do better than McCarthy? or Cleverley? Does he do it well enough to be worth over 20 million (even with the ridiculous equilibrium for Prem players)? I just don't see it right now and he isn't the type of player I want, then again I don't want us to keep persisting with 3 central midfielders period if none of them can create.

I'm not writing Lookman off, I just hope that he isn't the only winger coming in with Bolasie's injury and Deulofeu looking to get off sharpish.
Schneiderlin IMO is much better on the ball and would be slightly more creative than clev and McCarthy. But when Barry has been out of the team with McCarthy or Davies replacing him things have improved mainly the tempo we play, I like Barry but he is very slow them slows the tempo down. I agree with a winger though, but not really sure who I would like here, so let's see who they come up with if anyone.

This.

I like Sig, but as always people are missing the point in regards to how the manager wants to play.

Looking at S'ton, Tadic was often utilised as the de facto 'playmaker' over the past few years, but he was hardly played central. He's a winger who creates, but he had Mane, Long, Pelle etc around him pressing.

Koeman then had three 'runners' in midfield, but he didn't have a playmaker like Barkley in the squad.

Now, he does, but in order to fulfil that role, Ross needs to be played deeper. He needs space. Now, we also have Rom, who needs support around him.

So, we need two 'wide forwards' to play either side of Rom and do the pressing/neat link up play, and then we can have the three in midfield who provide the energy, but among those three we'd have Ross to pull the strings and if he has players like Gueye, McCarthy/Besic (if still here/fit) and hopefully Schneiderlin (Davies long term) around him we've got the perfect package to also mix it up in game.

That may look like a 4-3-3, but it's also easily switched to a 4-4-2.

It's a huge shame re. Bolasie as he gave that bit of width but also that pace and power up top. But injuries happen and he isn't a natural forward, so it doesn't change the need for that.

Options would always be great, and if Koeman wants to go 4-2-3-1 we need a proper 'no.10'. It's what was missing from Martinez's side for two years once Pienaar got crocked, but we look to be heading in a different direction now, albeit slowly.

That being said, I'd happily take Sig if he was an option.

Barkley i see as possibly plaing wider mate, more space and time on the ball and seems to relax him, never gonna be a winger but more a tadic type if that makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back