Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should go for Modeste from Cologne. He is in form, started the season brilliantly and brilliant in the air and would provide a class alternative to Lukaku. Could cost a lot but would be worth it because Valencia and our youngsters are not enough.

Purple patch

Raid Man U in Jan. They have stockpiled far too many good players and now have egos all over the show, clashing and not fitting a system.

I also would pay whatever it takes for VVD from Southampton. Every time I have seen him he has looked every inch as good a player as Stones on the ball but a far superior defender. Reminds me of Lescott at his best.

One thing from the summer was the concentration on players in the 27+ age bracket, who would have been seen as ready to come in and do a job straight-off.

That's fine, but we do need to learn from the Witsel saga. A player of that age, when looked at coldly, and with options better than Everton, and in his prime, was never likely to sign. Having played in Belgium and Russia, it was inevitable he would hold out for Juventus, or more broadly, "better than Everton".

We don't have pulling power, so if we are signing players in that age bracket or above, with similar quality, they will probably be ones not getting game time at Champions League level outfits, who would be willing to consider us. That, or players from the more obscure leagues.

We were briefly linked with Natanael from Ludogorets in the summer, that's probably the ilk of the type of signing that we would find easier to make, a Brazilian playing in the Bulgarian league, or the many South Americans playing in Russia, and Ukraine. I'm not saying sign only those players, or any at all if they are deemed not good enough, but there are rich pickings if we look in the right places. It would be a shame to let the Niasse signing stop us looking, we just need to apply the normal due diligence on signings.

That in addition leaves younger players as more of a natural market, and it suits as the squad is not exactly littered with them. It might go against Koeman's strategy to see us competitive quicker but that's an interesting debate between him and Walsh.

One thing is for sure, we need to pick our targets better, and be using the weeks in advance of the window to be doing the groundwork with agents. If we want a particular player, we should be ready to go in early January. I'd settle for one decent addition so not setting the bar very high, I think people will have been burned by August so perhaps less pressure on the club might work to their advantage. It will certainly be interesting to see if Steve Walsh asserts himself more.

Raid Man U in Jan. They have stockpiled far too many good players and now have egos all over the show, clashing and not fitting a system.

I also would pay whatever it takes for VVD from Southampton. Every time I have seen him he has looked every inch as good a player as Stones on the ball but a far superior defender. Reminds me of Lescott at his best.

Sorry mate, I still think Lescott/Jags partnership was the best I've seen at Everton in 20 years. Maybe even the league at the time with vidic and rio coming to the end of their spells at United.

Distin had a good go and was awesome for us given the fee and age.

Sorry mate, I still think Lescott/Jags partnership was the best I've seen at Everton in 20 years. Maybe even the league at the time with vidic and rio coming to the end of their spells at United.

Distin had a good go and was awesome for us given the fee and age.

Agreed. Lescott/Jags was the best partnership in the league in 08/09. Hence why I want VVD to partner Williams or Jags as they would compliment each other.

Agreed. Lescott/Jags was the best partnership in the league in 08/09. Hence why I want VVD to partner Williams or Jags as they would compliment each other.

I think VVD has lapses in concentration at times, sort of like Jags does but is often overlooked because he has the pace to get back in position.

Not saying I wouldn't have them like I love Williams, just need to make sure we don't spend huge money for the sake of it with Mori still on the books.

One thing from the summer was the concentration on players in the 27+ age bracket, who would have been seen as ready to come in and do a job straight-off.

That's fine, but we do need to learn from the Witsel saga. A player of that age, when looked at coldly, and with options better than Everton, and in his prime, was never likely to sign. Having played in Belgium and Russia, it was inevitable he would hold out for Juventus, or more broadly, "better than Everton".

We don't have pulling power, so if we are signing players in that age bracket or above, with similar quality, they will probably be ones not getting game time at Champions League level outfits, who would be willing to consider us. That, or players from the more obscure leagues.

We were briefly linked with Natanael from Ludogorets in the summer, that's probably the ilk of the type of signing that we would find easier to make, a Brazilian playing in the Bulgarian league, or the many South Americans playing in Russia, and Ukraine. I'm not saying sign only those players, or any at all if they are deemed not good enough, but there are rich pickings if we look in the right places. It would be a shame to let the Niasse signing stop us looking, we just need to apply the normal due diligence on signings.

That in addition leaves younger players as more of a natural market, and it suits as the squad is not exactly littered with them. It might go against Koeman's strategy to see us competitive quicker but that's an interesting debate between him and Walsh.

One thing is for sure, we need to pick our targets better, and be using the weeks in advance of the window to be doing the groundwork with agents. If we want a particular player, we should be ready to go in early January. I'd settle for one decent addition so not setting the bar very high, I think people will have been burned by August so perhaps less pressure on the club might work to their advantage. It will certainly be interesting to see if Steve Walsh asserts himself more.

Agree with all of this, but the other most natural market for us is to use our place in the food chain to buy the better players from clubs with less pull than us.

Williams, Bolasie and Gueye were all the best players from "lesser" teams than us as far as the current pecking order goes. January isn't an easy time to buy these sort of players as replacing them is very difficult for the selling club but, realistically, we should have a dozen or so clubs in the league we can outmuscle financially and be seen as a bigger draw for.

VVD would be an obvious target, especially given Southampton's propensity for selling their better players, but he is more of a realistic target for the summer than now.

January will be players on the fringes or at clubs where they need to raise money

Depay one side and Deulofeu the other...exciting.
No way RK would sign depay. Koeman has mentioned Dutch players recently. And by all accounts depay has a shocking attitude.

Always been impressed with VVD. Either way I'm sure Koeman will try and sign a powerful CB next summer 6-3" 6-4" who's going to dominate in the air. This will be Jags last season imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back