Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all of this, but the other most natural market for us is to use our place in the food chain to buy the better players from clubs with less pull than us.

Williams, Bolasie and Gueye were all the best players from "lesser" teams than us as far as the current pecking order goes. January isn't an easy time to buy these sort of players as replacing them is very difficult for the selling club but, realistically, we should have a dozen or so clubs in the league we can outmuscle financially and be seen as a bigger draw for.

VVD would be an obvious target, especially given Southampton's propensity for selling their better players, but he is more of a realistic target for the summer than now.

January will be players on the fringes or at clubs where they need to raise money

Good point regarding the buying from lesser teams. We should mix buying the best from those around us in the summer, when the seller has time to find a replacement, January should then compliment the summer buys by buying from the top teams, players who are in the squad but not first choice. Im aiming that last sentence at the likes of United, Chelsea, Munich, Dortmund and Juventus as examples.

For example my targets would be:

Deeney/Ighalo in the summer from a team around us.
Schneiderlein/Mata type in the summer from United (Morgan because he doesn't play every week).

Then in January have a look at maybe loaning someone who needs to play and possibly build himself up for a summer move, I would say attacking Milan for Honda or Juventus for Sturaro.

If we could attract a decent name like Strootman or Brahimi then that's a great start.

Good point regarding the buying from lesser teams. We should mix buying the best from those around us in the summer, when the seller has time to find a replacement, January should then compliment the summer buys by buying from the top teams, players who are in the squad but not first choice. Im aiming that last sentence at the likes of United, Chelsea, Munich, Dortmund and Juventus as examples.

Schneiderlein/Mata type in the summer from United (Morgan because he doesn't play every week).

Then in January have a look at maybe loaning someone who needs to play and possibly build himself up for a summer move, I would say attacking Milan for Honda or Juventus for Sturaro.

If we could attract a decent name like Strootman or Brahimi then that's a great start.

Honda has been poor for ages mate. Brahimi seems to have stopped playing for the team.

Oxlade-Chamberlain would be absolutely perfect for our team IMO. Can't see in January, but he'd be brilliant here. Also Schneiderlin as a realistic target for our midfield. He and Gueye could be very good together in the middle.

Koeman wont give him a run....hes an assist machine when given consistent game time.

He needs to perform. He's done okay in the games that he's started in but at the moment Bolasie is the better option for that right wing.

Koeman won't jib him off though, it's a long season.

What is a Schneiderlin/Mata type when they are totally different types ok player?

Koeman wont give him a run....hes an assist machine when given consistent game time.

I like him. But he's not getting assists when he's stopping the ball dead, standing still, getting half a yard away from the full back then hitting it into his shins.

Last year he was either getting it & crossing it early or going on the outside the full back, not trying to run through him

Oxlade-Chamberlain would be absolutely perfect for our team IMO. Can't see in January, but he'd be brilliant here. Also Schneiderlin as a realistic target for our midfield. He and Gueye could be very good together in the middle.
Can't see Oxlade Chamberlin as a realistic target, Arsenal wouldn't sell anyway he's has been ripping it up recently.

He needs to perform. He's done okay in the games that he's started in but at the moment Bolasie is the better option for that right wing.

Koeman won't jib him off though, it's a long season.

He wont take the big money signings place....mirallas should make way

I like him. But he's not getting assists when he's stopping the ball dead, standing still, getting half a yard away from the full back then hitting it into his shins.

Last year he was either getting it & crossing it early or going on the outside the full back, not trying to run through him

thats where confidence comes in i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back