Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet Leicester said the same about Albrighton Hugh Simpson Fuchs Vardy etc.

I could pick better players than Steve Walsh. Steve Walsh is suited to a league 2 team that picks up better than average cheap players. All this talk about him picking players like Mahrez and Vardy runs out at Vardy and Mahrez. Jokes. Koeman needs help but he obviously doesn't rate Steve Walsh (and I don't blame him).

Koeman would have picked out Lookman cos he notes talented players. He needs help but I have no faith in Steve Walsh. We had like 10,000 stories this summer about Steve Walsh that has actually only picked out about 3 good bargains or good players in his career. I don't rate Walsh.

...I know, Paul but I have to say I like the rumours and links even if 99% of the time they are useless. Saying that, they got Lookman right so now and then there is something in them.

Not saying I don't read them, I just don't have a great interest in a lot of them.
Their method is to make up 100 stories and hope that 1 of them is right.

Then again maybe im hypocritical, im sitting on a forum debating the signing of morgan and depay, who have not signed yet lol

I could pick better players than Steve Walsh. Steve Walsh is suited to a league 2 team that picks up better than average cheap players. All this talk about him picking players like Mahrez and Vardy runs out at Vardy and Mahrez. Jokes. Koeman needs help but he obviously doesn't rate Steve Walsh (and I don't blame him).
Kante

looks terribly average, yet we're linked on sky sports news with him. Steve Walsh ffs

Ishak Belfodil was one I seen at Lyon a couple of times, looked like he had potential. I then told friends that he could be the one to replace Benzema long term with a bit of patience and guidance.

Ohhh lord how I was wrong. He is average at best and not kicked on as I hoped back in Lyon. One to avoid for me, but then maybe with the patience and guidance I mentioned, he could do okay. Not £8.5m okay im afraid.

Leicester.

and still based on one fluky season when loads of scouts and teams pick up lots of better signings. Steve Walsh is crap. Koeman deserves BETTER.

Koeman's original quote after the Leicester defeat was 'if he opens his eyes' which some media outlets changed to 'if everyone opened their eyes' that was aimed at Steve Walsh he also said 'that is the job of Steve Walsh' he had no need to mention him unless he was aggrieved. Steve Walsh is league 1/2 level Ronald Koeman is world-class.

I think we'll sign Schneiderlin, and have a slight chance of Depay, and that might be it.

Then this whole circus moves on to the summer.

I get the nagging feeling at times that FM has decided on a strategy where he is bullish in public about transfers, but then deliberately frugal in reality to channel as much funding (USM Sponsorship, the £80m loan, other streams) towards Bramley Moore as possible. If so, and it gets built, then fantastic but in the meantime we will be exposed to the same smokescreens every time the window is open.

With TV revenues, we could continue to spend £40-50m for a few successive windows, without any dent on the clubs fundamentals. There isn't any big statement of intent in doing so. I think the Martinez pay-off, Niasse fiasco, and costs of hiring Koeman and Walsh, might all have contributed to a decision to spend deliberately less than publicly touted over this window, and last, allowing for the Sissoko transfer. I know people will say we made definitive bids for Witsel and Koulibaly etc, but the point is we didn't sign them, and now we have Koeman saying "its our first choice targets or nothing".

In the context where our season is more or less over competitively in January, I imagine FM and the board could see logic in signing no new players at all but that wouldn't wash with the assurances they have given Koeman and his and the fans growing impatience. So we sign Schneiderlin, get 3 or 4 players sold or off the wage bill, and make a few failed moves over the last 48 hours, until the relief of February 1 rolls around.

Some would then say Koeman has been lied to, others might suggest he merely wasn't given the full picture. I increasingly think that the board are happy to trundle along until we get an announcement about BMD. In that context, I think the PR message will change - it will be along the lines that the club is committed to delivering something that everyone wants, and that sacrifices ("sustainability") will have to be made to get us there. If I am typical of the average fan, then that message will be easy enough to sell.

Tightening the purse strings in that context is fine, only at the moment they can't go public with that line until after an announcement. If the announcement comes before the summer, I would gladly settle for that at the expense of big transfer investment for another while longer (4-5 years), and we will all be clearer on where things stand.

I'd like to think the people running the club do

We've already effectively written off big fees on Williams and Bolasie and seem about to do the same with Schneiderlin. We might have more money these days, but we still have FFP to comply with, so you'd hope someone somewhere would be taking this sort of thing into account

Bill Kenwright has got our fans thinking like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back