Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A striker needs to be our highest priority, our plan B should be to play 2 up front. But with Valencia, playing 2 up front seems like plan D. If Rom gets injured we are in big trouble.

We are not going to replace the whole team in 12 months, we need to pinpoint the positions that need replacing first.

Cb
Playmaker
Striker

Mate centre mid is by far and away to most needed position, our entire tempo is dictated there, as seen by us being generally slow with barry there and alarmingly slower when we bring in the crab or the clev, get a high energy player in there who makes himslef available and who can quickly get the ball forward and then support play himself and watch how different this team would look going forward.

Assuming any of ours would actually learn to move when they dont have the ball ofc

Right now striker is needed yeah, but honestly we arent getting the ball out to lukaku anyway so we could have anyone and it wouldnt matter much

cb he should just bloody well play Holgate - could he be worse than giving away 2 goals and 3 pens in his last 3 games - honestly

The link says 'poor language removed' inside it so wont work mate.

Tribal football quotes The S*n as saying £20mil bid from the RS to replace Sturridge but Torino want £43mil.

I think hes the type of hard working player with tonnes of ability that Koeman would like up front..

Also, Niclas Sule turned down £25mil moves in the summer because he wants regular 1st team football...never know if Koemans past playing career could sway him with a guaranteed place.

You've got to be talking over £60mil for the pair (Lukaku transfer fee).

Mate centre mid is by far and away to most needed position, our entire tempo is dictated there, as seen by us being generally slow with barry there and alarmingly slower when we bring in the crab or the clev, get a high energy player in there who makes himslef available and who can quickly get the ball forward and then support play himself and watch how different this team would look going forward.

Assuming any of ours would actually learn to move when they dont have the ball ofc

Right now striker is needed yeah, but honestly we arent getting the ball out to lukaku anyway so we could have anyone and it wouldnt matter much

cb he should just bloody well play Holgate - could he be worse than giving away 2 goals and 3 pens in his last 3 games - honestly

He's got to play Gueye as the ball winning defensive midfielder and eithe put Barkley next to him or sign a powerhouse box to box midfielder.

Its been scandalous that he is refusing to play Holgate after claiming players get into the side on merit.

He's got to play Gueye as the ball winning defensive midfielder and eithe put Barkley next to him or sign a powerhouse box to box midfielder.

Its been scandalous that he is refusing to play Holgate after claiming players get into the side on merit.

Don't get me wrong mate, i don't actually think Holgate is ready to be playing as one of two centre backs in this league right now, but the other two options are Jagielka who has 'gone' and Mori who i don't rate and who makes constant errors at the back anyway, so what we have to lose, maybe holgate will make some mistakes - but the other two options we have already do that and at least he's young enough to learn and improve - whilst williams is young enough himself still to be able to play alongside and teach him

as for centre mid mate, barkley just won't ever develp into one in the mould of say a gerrard or strootman, those two always had a bit/lot of aggression abut there game, something barkley just doesn't have at all, he's also not quick enough on the ball making decisions right now and maybe never will be, something we badly need in centre mid is 'tempo' and someone who can set that a lot higher than we have seen from the current crop

Don't get me wrong mate, i don't actually think Holgate is ready to be playing as one of two centre backs in this league right now, but the other two options are Jagielka who has 'gone' and Mori who i don't rate and who makes constant errors at the back anyway, so what we have to lose, maybe holgate will make some mistakes - but the other two options we have already do that and at least he's young enough to learn and improve - whilst williams is young enough himself still to be able to play alongside and teach him

as for centre mid mate, barkley just won't ever develp into one in the mould of say a gerrard or strootman, those two always had a bit/lot of aggression abut there game, something barkley just doesn't have at all, he's also not quick enough on the ball making decisions right now and maybe never will be, something we badly need in centre mid is 'tempo' and someone who can set that a lot higher than we have seen from the current crop

Agree, Barkley is not good enough to be our man in midfield, we need a player who fast,guile and clever with the ball. Kovacic would be ideal but could we sign him?

Agree, Barkley is not good enough to be our man in midfield, we need a player who fast,guile and clever with the ball. Kovacic would be ideal but could we sign him?

Short answer would be to forget about anyone at teams like Madrid or in the CL at relatively big clubs, the reality of our current situation i would estimate is that a player would rather sit as a fringe player for those teams than come into ours as a guaranteed first teamer/starter.

We need to look at the level below and players on the outskirts of big teams who are struggling/not in europe or quality players at teams our own/below our level. Even players who have been completely frozen out at a team like madrid/barca etc - there is slim to no chance of getting them

Yeah it may get us tagged with taking other teams rejects etc in or leave a lot unimpressed as they wont be big name signings - but look at our squad and the one player no one would doubt has the right type of guts/skill for us would be Gueye who came from a dogturd of a team and the best player is Lukaku who was completely frozen out at a 'big' team.

It's why i think the likes of Schneiderlin/Sturridge (yeah i know) are much more realistic options than the witsel, strootman, mata types

I know exactly who he is.

I'm asking how many times you've seen him.

Always find that funny though, how many times had any of us watched Lukaku before we signed him on loan, and we where made up to get him, bet ya not many had seen many west brom games the previous season though

For me, Williams is a left sided centre back, its where hes played for Swansea and Wales for years despite being right footed. I think he's a shoe-in for that position which leaves the right sided position available.

Mori is left sided so hes out Jags is either finished or needs a long rest. This leaves Holgate as the only option who showed he wasnt overawed at Right back and deserves his chance.

As for Barkley, he's isolated in that position and the opposition know they just need to cover him and theres no option for us other than to play long ball to bolasie and lukaku.

Barkley needs to sit next to Gana and drive forward or act as a catalyst to get the ball out wide or to a different attacking midfielder (deulofeu) or we have huge gaps between midfield and attack.

A central midfielder who actually offers tempo and the ability to play the ball forward effectively (not one or the other) could be a huge catalyst.

As you rightly mention, our lack of tempo and direction comes from the tepid play and movement that's emerging from the centre of the pitch.

Right now Lukaku and are front line are far too often stationary as they can't expect the creative play or balls to feed them, so it slows it down

I'm not saying that our forward players are not underperforming as they are, however someone who provided opportunities may support them.

Then it'll be a time to judge whether our wingers need replacing immediately or as lower priorities behind a play maker or central defender.

I would say an actual striker to support Rom would also be important as we're one dimensional and have no real versatility in the front line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back