Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A central midfielder who actually offers tempo and the ability to play the ball forward effectively (not one or the other) could be a huge catalyst.

As you rightly mention, our lack of tempo and direction comes from the tepid play and movement that's emerging from the centre of the pitch.

Right now Lukaku and are front line are far too often stationary as they can't expect the creative play or balls to feed them, so it slows it down

I'm not saying that our forward players are not underperforming as they are, however someone who provided opportunities may support them.

Then it'll be a time to judge whether our wingers need replacing immediately or as lower priorities behind a play maker or central defender.

I would say an actual striker to support Rom would also be important as we're one dimensional and have no real versatility in the front line.

Hopefully the Belotti links have some merit.

A central midfielder who actually offers tempo and the ability to play the ball forward effectively (not one or the other) could be a huge catalyst.

As you rightly mention, our lack of tempo and direction comes from the tepid play and movement that's emerging from the centre of the pitch.

Right now Lukaku and are front line are far too often stationary as they can't expect the creative play or balls to feed them, so it slows it down

I'm not saying that our forward players are not underperforming as they are, however someone who provided opportunities may support them.

Then it'll be a time to judge whether our wingers need replacing immediately or as lower priorities behind a play maker or central defender.

I would say an actual striker to support Rom would also be important as we're one dimensional and have no real versatility in the front line.

Also created a circle as well mate, we don't move the ball fast enough, so players knowing we aren't gonna be playing it fast don't bother moving early or much, so when someone gets on the ball and looks to play a quick pass forward or up the tempo, well he can't as there isn't any optipons to pass too, so it goes sideways and back, watched Arsenal yesterday play with two holding midfielders and they looked very similar to us, not able to get any tempo or rythm going, slow, sideways passing and players started looking static for them - even sanchez and Ozil.

Think of our 80's side and the centre mids set the tone and tempo for that team

Also created a circle as well mate, we don't move the ball fast enough, so players knowing we aren't gonna be playing it fast don't bother moving early or much, so when someone gets on the ball and looks to play a quick pass forward or up the tempo, well he can't as there isn't any optipons to pass too, so it goes sideways and back, watched Arsenal yesterday play with two holding midfielders and they looked very similar to us, not able to get any tempo or rythm going, slow, sideways passing and players started looking static for them - even sanchez and Ozil.

Think of our 80's side and the centre mids set the tone and tempo for that team

lol ive just written the same in my central midfielder thread....similar to arsenal.

Mate centre mid is by far and away to most needed position, our entire tempo is dictated there, as seen by us being generally slow with barry there and alarmingly slower when we bring in the crab or the clev, get a high energy player in there who makes himslef available and who can quickly get the ball forward and then support play himself and watch how different this team would look going forward.

Assuming any of ours would actually learn to move when they dont have the ball ofc

Right now striker is needed yeah, but honestly we arent getting the ball out to lukaku anyway so we could have anyone and it wouldnt matter much

cb he should just bloody well play Holgate - could he be worse than giving away 2 goals and 3 pens in his last 3 games - honestly
I think a playmaker who can unlock defences is still our main need. We don't have anybody who is even close to providing this and are making do with Barkley. Yesterday proved it yet again.

The simple fact, and we probably all agree on this, is that we need new blood in all these positions to take the team where we want to be, but it's going to take at least another 2 windows to get close to achieving this. We therefore need to prioritise the position that is most likely to generate more points from January onwards and I think that's the playmaker role.

I think a playmaker who can unlock defences is still our main need. We don't have anybody who is even close to providing this and are making do with Barkley. Yesterday proved it yet again.

The simple fact, and we probably all agree on this, is that we need new blood in all these positions to take the team where we want to be, but it's going to take at least another 2 windows to get close to achieving this. We therefore need to prioritise the position that is most likely to generate more points from January onwards and I think that's the playmaker role.

Difference of opinion but think we both agree both of those positions ultimately need addressing if we are to move on as a team

Difference of opinion but think we both agree both of those positions ultimately need addressing if we are to move on as a team
I haven't got a clue who we could realistically get for the playmaker role, but who would you go after for CM. I like Carvalho. Never really noticed him before, probably like I never noticed Gana at Villa, but since the summer I've focused on him during games. He looks like the ideal replacement to Barry.

At this point in time I am not sure targeting big name players is the way to go. Hopefully I am wrong and we can bring in some class. I do hope we have a Plan B and have players in mind who are maybe not world beaters but who are a step up on what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back