Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brainless recruitment.

£10m for a player who was on a free 6 months ago and has scored a few goals in Belgium.

Even if he turns out to be good I just hate the way we've gone from a team that always finds good value to one that just signs whoever has had a good run of form.

We were a team selling our best players and getting cast offs in on loan. If you'd rather buy the Cleverleys of this world than pay decent money for Schneiderlin then you can't expect Everton to challenge. This is the modern game. We haven't had a decent value signing since the Moyes days.

Brainless recruitment.

£10m for a player who was on a free 6 months ago and has scored a few goals in Belgium.

Even if he turns out to be good I just hate the way we've gone from a team that always finds good value to one that just signs whoever has had a good run of form.

Has he had a good run of form? His goal record is poor to say the least.

Where did he say that mate? Think he would have played for the under 23's today if he wasn't going into the squad

I'm going to struggle to find it now but it was in an interview - pretty sure I heard it rather than read it. May have been at his pre-Leicester press conference. Not sure

Brainless recruitment.

So that would be assuming that they have not watched him, assessed him and decided whether they think he could do a job in the premier league?

You are going down the path of RK and Walsh saying to each other, "that lad has scored 6 goals in the Belgian League, get him in" I take it?

Oh well, that's another one in by the looks of it. Lets hope he offers a lot more than Niasse. I like his age, he has something to prove and has experience of playing in Serie A and the Belgian League.

6 foot 3 1/2 gives us a bit of height and an option to change the game, though the hoof ball extremists will be in uproar! :p

If you look at Slimani's clubs before Sporting, it reads -
2008–2009 JSM Chéraga 38 (19)
2009–2013 CR Belouizdad 96 (32)

So there may well be a lot of improvement in this lad, then again he could be utter turd, time will tell. 8 goals in his first season with Parma got him a move to Inter though, so there must be some talent there.

Must have watched every YouTube video of him there is now

Looks strong, seems reasonably quick for a big lad, has a surprisingly lovely touch and technique, seems good in the air. I'm cautiously optimistic from the highlights I've seen.

Compare that with Niasse who, whilst scoring a few goals and looking a good athlete on his YouTube highlights, looked really raw and with horrible technique. Easy to say it now but you can check my post history, but I had a dreadful feeling about him before he even kicked a ball for us.

Koeman likes a big target man in his squad - Rom, despite being big, isn't great at holding the ball up and playing with his back to goal and his touch is questionable. This lad seems to have those qualities.

All I can really tell is that he was seen as a big talent 4 years ago or so, then his career nosedived through a combination of poor form at Inter, Parma going bankrupt and him playing in the UAE for a year. This season he appears to have rescued his career and we're taking an early punt on him as a result.

Have to trust Walsh I guess, can only assume Koeman has told him to find a target man who can hold the ball up and Walsh has decided this lad is the one.

He has to have played 75% of the past two years fixtures I believe to be eligible for a permit. Has he played that many?

Made his debut in 2014 and has 13 call ups since. I'd say that's not 75%, but I have no clue how many matches Algeria played.

Anyway he was in the preliminary squad for AFCON and has a French pasport. So that won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back