Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really what I was hoping for! If it's an either/or I'd take VVD in that equation.
We are crying out for top quality in both areas. However with the acquisition of MS he will protect the defence so much better than Barry. For that reason alone is rather 40-50m (the cost of VVD) to be spent on attacking players, because we desperately like creativity in the final third.

It's not ridiculous IMO. If you work for an employer of any size chances are you have targets. A well constructed target is designed to stretch people but be achievable.

Ok maybe I'm a bit off with Schneids and Gana but the rest of them are all achievable IMO and many of them have already achieved those numbers or close to them in a season.

Ross is capable of achieving his target if he reaches the standard most of us reckon he has in him.

Kevin is (Rom and Seamus aside) perhaps the only one not scared of shooting, he just needs to make a better job of it as a lot are off target or not leathal enough.

Scoring is our biggest weakness IMO and giving them encouragement (rather than fear of failing) to score (while not neglecting their other duties) could be a good way forward.
Do you work in HR by any random chance?

...nope, you're probably right but we probably haven't got a £50m striker lined up. I genuinely wouldn't equate the two.
Sadly, and IMO inexplicably, we don't seem to be interested in a new striker (I know we're in for forward players but not goalscorers per she) so I think you're right.

We are crying out for top quality in both areas. However with the acquisition of MS he will protect the defence so much better than Barry. For that reason alone is rather 40-50m (the cost of VVD) to be spent on attacking players, because we desperately like creativity in the final third.
I agree, doesn't seem like that's the way RonKo is looking at things though.

Do people genuinely think we will be signing £50m players in the near future? Even if the money is there, that type of player will have numerous suitors and the majority will offer much more in the way of silverware etc. Until we start to become more competitive I just don't see that type of player coming here.

It's not ridiculous IMO. If you work for an employer of any size chances are you have targets. A well constructed target is designed to stretch people but be achievable.

Ok maybe I'm a bit off with Schneids and Gana but the rest of them are all achievable IMO and many of them have already achieved those numbers or close to them in a season.

Ross is capable of achieving his target if he reaches the standard most of us reckon he has in him.

Kevin is (Rom and Seamus aside) perhaps the only one not scared of shooting, he just needs to make a better job of it as a lot are off target or not leathal enough.

Scoring is our biggest weakness IMO and giving them encouragement (rather than fear of failing) to score (while not neglecting their other duties) could be a good way forward.

While I'm sure we'd all like to see every player in the team to have a couple goals in them, having 'targets' like that is going turn the players into a group of individuals, playing for themselves rather than as a team. That isn't how football works.

Do people genuinely think we will be signing £50m players in the near future? Even if the money is there, that type of player will have numerous suitors and the majority will offer much more in the way of silverware etc. Until we start to become more competitive I just don't see that type of player coming here.

Unfortunately, we may well end up paying £50m for footballers in the foreseeable. Unfortunately because it may be on good players who are not quite £50m players. If that makes sense.

Remember what Moshiri said. "Competetive on the pitch, and off it". That means we will have to maybe overpay/unearth gems, until the club is seen, and is, back in the elite.

Normally we wouldn't. But if there is one player who could break the mould its VVD due to his relationship with koeman.

Sadly, and IMO inexplicably, we don't seem to be interested in a new striker (I know we're in for forward players but not goalscorers per she) so I think you're right.

..that mid-80 team model isn't a bad template. Goals from everywhere, indeed the season we had an out an out goalscorers (Lineker - who was brilliant) we failed to win a thing. Lukaku is a goalscorer. I'd love us to unearth another forward who gets 20 per season but they aren't easy to find.

Normally we wouldn't. But if there is one player who could break the mould its VVD due to his relationship with koeman.
Is he really worth that sort of money? I've not watched them much but Southampton aren't exactly brilliant and the Dutch haven't done that well recently?

Is he really worth that sort of money? I've not watched them much but Southampton aren't exactly brilliant and the Dutch haven't done that well recently?
According to carragher the best centre half in the premier league. I've not seen a better one personally. Lad at work is burnley fan, I've told him to watch VVD and give me his scouting report on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back