Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
When United had Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, etc they used to win against European teams playing 4-5-1. Not saying it's easy to play against a 4-5-1 with the system but it's possible with the right players. You just have to cede some posession but be more prolific in front of goal.

If we had two world class strikers, play both when it suits. There's only a few elite teams who can afford the 60m plus for those players. And also, you have to have two quality central midfielders.

Juventus are a good example. Good central midfield players that allow them the room to play Higuain and Dybala. Athletico go with Griezman and Torres as well. But they require a quality midfield to put in a shift to negate the pressure.

When United had Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, etc they used to win against European teams playing 4-5-1. Not saying it's easy to play against a 4-5-1 with the system but it's possible with the right players. You just have to cede some posession but be more prolific in front of goal.
But look at the goals from that midfield 3. Beckham, Giggs and scholes all got double figures and then you had a certain van nistelrooy up front. They were able to play that 4-5-1 system you alluded to, due to the quality of the players fergie had at his disposal. Not many teams have the personnel to play that way effectively.

There is a bit of a myth about how important formation is. Largely with the 'FIFA' PlayStation generation tbh.
A system that works for the players you have is the most important thing. 2 strikers will work fine if you have a balanced team. Indeed, at times in any season, 2 good strikers are vital.

That's not true though. There are an abundance of those types of players in the prem. Mane, Firminho, Hazard, Willian, Son. None of those players fees were astronomical. It's exactly why we signed Lookman.

I'm not asking them all to play as striker. One of your wingers in the team should be the third option striker, that's what I'm saying. It's not a difficult ask. You have one main striker, the rest of your forwards should be flexible in the modern game. If they're not, they're limited and not good enough.

Again mate hazard deemed world class. Firminho and mane have been performing at a high level for a couple of years and both young enough sadly to improve further, Willian I have rated for years and perhaps a category under top class.

It isn't easy to make that transition and del kinda shows that when we had a go at him up front. Plus the style has to suit them, we play nowhere near any style that would accommodate it.

I get what you are saying and sure, theoretically you want that option. I guess the likes of martial, Walcott, (can't think of another right now haha) are players who can do thst. But even as third or 4th choice, can they do a good enough role there when asked? Or

That's exactly why we should be trying to get one. If we want to become a top 6 team we need two strikers that can score regularly and\or some midfielders that can score more than a couple of goals a season. Having only two real goal threats in Lukaku and Ross isn't going to be enough if we want to get in the top 6.

We know Lukaku is going to leave at some point, probably this summer. Better to get a striker in now so he can hit the ground running if\when Lukaku goes.

We can buy better defenders, defensive midfielders but they'll only improve us so much. To challenge the top teams we need more players that can score and create chances.

Summer is the time though

Don't read into that mate Godin and Savic are first choice CB's for Atletico.
Talking of Athletico, how about a cheeky bid for nicolas gaitin? Just hasn't settled there at all, he's barely played. creative attacking midfielder we crave. Athletico paid 24m euros, I'm sure we could get him for similar.

There is a bit of a myth about how important formation is. Largely with the 'FIFA' PlayStation generation tbh.
A system that works for the players you have is the most important thing. 2 strikers will work fine if you have a balanced team. Indeed, at times in any season, 2 good strikers are vital.

I'm afraid that's utter tosh mate. Well the first part. The second part is just contradictory to your first statement is correct in way. You need a formation AND a system that suits the players at hand. A good manager finds one to suit the personnel he has available. The upmost most important thing is finding a formation(s) that suits the players available and the chosen style, which should also be flexible given good coaching.

City won the league with 2 strikers too.

Can't possibly have 2 decent strikers at Everton though. Let's keep playing 2 defensive midfielders. Love that.

Again mate hazard deemed world class. Firminho and mane have been performing at a high level for a couple of years and both young enough sadly to improve further, Willian I have rated for years and perhaps a category under top class.

It isn't easy to make that transition and del kinda shows that when we had a go at him up front. Plus the style has to suit them, we play nowhere near any style that would accommodate it.

I get what you are saying and sure, theoretically you want that option. I guess the likes of martial, Walcott, (can't think of another right now haha) are players who can do thst. But even as third or 4th choice, can they do a good enough role there when asked? Or

Absolutely. The manager calls the shots. It appears Koeman is a 4-3-3 man who likes three forward players, as he's referred Geri and Mirallas as strikers before.

I was on about not going out and getting another big money top striker only because it's not in Koeman's interests. Out and out strikers of quality are big money these days. To be honest we are arguably better set up for 4-4-2 with the quality of central midfield players we now have.

But I don't think the other players are hard working enough for us to achieve that. And we've reverted to 4-2-2 this season when things haven't gone to plan.

City had about 4 20+ million strikers and they were 100% going to play at least two of them. They needed all of them to win the league on the last day. Again though, they had a great spine with Toure (Who chips in loads of goals), Kompany and Hart.

4-4-2's normally have a solid st, cm, cb, gk spine. We've ticked two of those (Lukaku, Gueye/and or Schneiderlin. Will take a heck of a lot of money to get the CB and GK pairing to match.

Talking of Athletico, how about a cheeky bid for nicolas gaitin? Just hasn't settled there at all, he's barely played. creative attacking midfielder we crave. Athletico paid 24m euros, I'm sure we could get him for similar.

Sure I read recently they want to keep him (possible 6 month loan) and he's just adapting to Simeone's style. I like him but think he's 30 this year.

Unreal levels of hypocrisy these days.

Its ok for clubs to take Chinese money, get huge sponsors then sign big players with it.......but when another bigger n richer club comes sniffing, its an outrage!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back