Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a really difficult task finding a useful second striker. The likes of the top 6, and us with Lukaku, play their main striker as much as possible. The second striker only gets a look in when he comes on when to mix the game up or if there's an injury, but even then managers are plugging the gap with wingers.

So there is the problem. You can't sign a top class forward to play a secondary role because he'll be unsettled. Conversely you are going to want one who is able to hold his own, get goals, create and be a genuine solid back up option.

This is why I do have my reservations about Berahino. Seems like he wouldn't be happy with a stint on the bench even for a bigger club.

Best use of forward options I've seen this season is Arsenal's. They have a winger who can play striker (Sanchez) an out and out striker (Giroud) and a good back up (Perez) who has linked well with Giroud. I wouldn't mind seeing us use the same approach - A good back up forward who can support and a winger who can play forward.
Totally agree with this. A second striker, particularly if they are signed for a big fee/are on big wages, must have an alternative position (left or right of a front three, or playing in the hole - insert Mick McCarthy gif here).

giphy.gif

Costas staying now, he hurt his back up ya MAR.

Totally agree with this. A second striker, particularly if they are signed for a big fee/are on big wages, must have an alternative position (left or right of a front three, or playing in the hole - insert Mick McCarthy gif here).

Lookman could prove to be a quality buy, as seemingly he can do exactly that. I'd say we are a few players away. I think we need a support striker, and two quality attackers who can play anywhere across the forward line. Two of Mirallas, Deulofeu and Lennon need to go and be replaced. I'd personally keep Deulofeu.

Lookman could prove to be a quality buy, as seemingly he can do exactly that. I'd say we are a few players away. I think we need a support striker, and two quality attackers who can play anywhere across the forward line. Two of Mirallas, Deulofeu and Lennon need to go and be replaced. I'd personally keep Deulofeu.
Yeah, but we seem to still be looking at holding midfielders and centre backs.

Playing two forwards today isn't sustainable. When another striker does play, he doesn't stay central. Wingers have essentially evolved into support strikers, as full backs are so diverse in their play now.

Wouldn't want us to spend loads on a support striker. Chelsea have hardly used anyone but Costa. Same with Spurs and Kane and when he was out it was Son not Janssen who came in. You have too many strikers you also have a problem. See United, who are forced to play their strikers as Wingers. They've starated playing one striker and things have stated to turn better for them.

Most people were saying you can't play 2 strikers as the majority of teams play some 4-5-1 and pack out the midfield. Then Leicester go and win the league doing it.

Man Utd used to play against teams in Europe playing 4-5-1 and still beat them no problems. It's not the formation you play it's the tactics and how you implement it and how it suits your players that wins you games.

Most people were saying you can't play 2 strikers as the majority of teams play some 4-5-1 and pack out the midfield. Then Leicester go and win the league doing it.

Man Utd used to play against teams in Europe playing 4-5-1 and still beat them no problems. It's not the formation you play it's the tactics and how you implement it and how it suits your players that wins you games.

Last season was a freak of nature, taking nothing away from Leicester. Not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't work consistently in today's football. Leicester have tried to do the same this year and have absolutely been found out. The lack of a Kante player in the midfield has left them short.

There's a reason none of the top teams this year have attempted the same tactics.

It is a really difficult task finding a useful second striker. The likes of the top 6, and us with Lukaku, play their main striker as much as possible. The second striker only gets a look in when he comes on when to mix the game up or if there's an injury, but even then managers are plugging the gap with wingers.

So there is the problem. You can't sign a top class forward to play a secondary role because he'll be unsettled. Conversely you are going to want one who is able to hold his own, get goals, create and be a genuine solid back up option.

This is why I do have my reservations about Berahino. Seems like he wouldn't be happy with a stint on the bench even for a bigger club.

Best use of forward options I've seen this season is Arsenal's. They have a winger who can play striker (Sanchez) an out and out striker (Giroud) and a good back up (Perez) who has linked well with Giroud. I wouldn't mind seeing us use the same approach - A good back up forward who can support and a winger who can play forward.
Thing is mate. The only wingers that can play up top are a different class to most other footballers never mind wingers. Sanchez, Ronaldo etc are top quality who can make that change. There isn't many wingers in the game that could suddenly play as are striker and more specifically would take one hell of a scouting and a couple of years developing them to even get it.

Thing is mate. The only wingers that can play up top are a different class to most other footballers never mind wingers. Sanchez, Ronaldo etc are top quality who can make that change. There isn't many wingers in the game that could suddenly play as are striker and more specifically would take one hell of a scouting and a couple of years developing them to even get it.

That's not true though. There are an abundance of those types of players in the prem. Mane, Firminho, Hazard, Willian, Son. None of those players fees were astronomical. It's exactly why we signed Lookman.

I'm not asking them all to play as striker. One of your wingers in the team should be the third option striker, that's what I'm saying. It's not a difficult ask. You have one main striker, the rest of your forwards should be flexible in the modern game. If they're not, they're limited and not good enough.

Last season was a freak of nature, taking nothing away from Leicester. Not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't work consistently in today's football. Leicester have tried to do the same this year and have absolutely been found out. The lack of a Kante player in the midfield has left them short.

There's a reason none of the top teams this year have attempted the same tactics.

When United had Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, etc they used to win against European teams playing 4-5-1. Not saying it's easy to play against a 4-5-1 with the system but it's possible with the right players. You just have to cede some posession but be more prolific in front of goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back