Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says it would only be rising to 24 with all addons. If you look at prices at the moment, I genuinely think that's a great deal for a player who was one of the top in his position in the league only one and a half years ago, still in his prime and hasn't been injured or anything, and will be hungry to get back to that level AND is in a position we desperately need. I'd be buzzing if it came off.

He's basically a much better McCarthy and we saw last night how well Gueye and Barkley work with another energetic midfielder.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think he's much better than McCarthy. Or at least, I don't think he's much better than him when McCarthy is playing at his best. I think he's probably a bit more defensive minded too, but they are similar and would dovetail nicely.

I guess it gives time for the academy players to try and force their way in.
We don't need to be buying potential, we need ready made 1st teamers currently.

Then you're in a situation where you by over priced kids who may not develop or are just not good enough when under pressure.

Nothing wrong with buying people in their prime

Ideally you're able to find players between the ages of 21-25 who are both "ready made" and provide greater long-term value. I do recognize that those are the most difficult signings to make.

And my point was not about Schneiderlin alone. All three of the club's additions in the summer were 27 and older, and Eggs has them linked to two strikers, one 26 and one 28.

Schneiderlin would be a helpful addition, but Everton are playing a dangerous game if they continue to focus their spending on players over the age of 26/27.

26/27 isn't so much the issue, as we'd probably get at least 3 good years out of someone that age, provided they stayed healthy, and even more if they aged well, like Barry has

For me, I'd like a balance of youth and experience

If this Lookman deal goes through, I'd also get Loftus-Cheek in, so we have two quality young signings, and then I'd be looking for 3-4 more experienced players to go with them

Everton needs top-quality players, otherwise there will be no progress. Benteke missed. The same type player as Lukaku.

26/27 isn't so much the issue, as we'd probably get at least 3 good years out of someone that age, provided they stayed healthy, and even more if they aged well, like Barry has

For me, I'd like a balance of youth and experience

If this Lookman deal goes through, I'd also get Loftus-Cheek in, so we have two quality young signings, and then I'd be looking for 3-4 more experienced players to go with them
Lookman?

Also on the face of it chelsea's reserves has a ot of potential that can be tapped, solanke, the lad at brentford, Chalobah (is he still there?), Bamford , Christiansen, all players who might be worth adding to the squad.

1. That's true, but there's also no way of knowing he won't age like Schweinsteiger. Studies are clear that performances decline after the age of 27.
2. We know, of course, that players past that age don't have much sell-on value.

So you're investing in depreciating assets, and if you don't have someone likes Stones to sell for £40+ million, it gets difficult to balance your finances.

Well for one Sweinsteiger is already 32, and for another Sweinsteiger has a serious injury in both seasons prior to moving to United (when he was already only a month away from 31 at that time of the move, he has also suffered from recurring injuries (ankle 3 times, and knee injuries 9 times since 2013) - in other words united bought a crocked player - and bought him purely for the name. Theres a reason Bayern let go of a club Icon without a second thought mate

Performances decline after the age of 27 - oh a study showed that, strange how everyone regards 26-30 as a footballers peak years then really isn't it.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think he's much better than McCarthy. Or at least, I don't think he's much better than him when McCarthy is playing at his best. I think he's probably a bit more defensive minded too, but they are similar and would dovetail nicely.

His best season under Koeman when he was arguably the leagues stand out centre midfielder he played a box to box role mate alongside a defensive workhorse midfiedler

Loftus-Cheek is an interesting one for me

Entered a number of good performances while Mourinho was there and won over the fans, but Mourinho didn't give him too many chances. Hiddink went with him a bit more, and he seemed to be gaining a bit of traction

Has played well this season when given a chance, and has even got praise from Conte, but still is finding it hard to make a first team place his own

I don't know how much Chelsea would want for him, considering he's got something like 3 years left on his contract and he's been with them for a while, but I'd be very interested to see him at Everton. I honestly think he's got the ability to be a regular international

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back