Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had done no business all window and then on the last day cleared out the deadwood and signed Schneiderlin and Lookman it would have been hailed a success.

This - Two in that have improved the squad and a few we don't need out. That's a successful window for me especially because we got the business done early and as a result have had a couple more games to benefit from the signings. The fact is that most large transfers take weeks if not months to negotiate and a lot of work done in this window will be with one eye on completion during the summer window.

The clubs who push through loads of deals during January are usually panicking and agreeing to anything or simply resigned to going down.

When you look at the squad for next season if you remove those who are getting on a bit and also players like Mori and Lennon who arent good enough for a champions league push were left with this;

GK - Robles
LB - Connolly
LCB - Galloway
RCB - Holgate / Pennington
RB - Coleman / Kenny
DM - Gana / Davies
CM - Schneiderlin / Walsh
AM - Barkley
FW - Lookman / Calvert-Lewin
FW - Lukaku

GK - We need a top keeper
LB - Someone to push Baines out
LCB - An upgrade on Mori
CB - Successor to Williams

So we basically need 4 players in the defensive positions.

We then need one more midfielder as well as a forward. So i'd say 6 players at a minimum and thats if the young lads step up either after being on loan (Connolly/Galloway) or push themselves into contention this season(walsh/pennington etc).

I think its great that we are giving them an opportunity to at least get on the bench and into the squad for next season...

However, We do need to sign GK / LB / LCB / FW of the highest quality in the summer as first choices. 4 top stars and some more young lads as rotation/backup.
It's frightening mate. A scorched earth policy without the renewal that should go with it.

Just a question, but I think you'll find they knew who they wanted, but they simply weren't gettable in January. It's really no big deal.

What if they weren't gettable last summer or in Jan, and there not gettable next summer, surely that's why you have multiple targets.

I'm not too fussed on Jan window anyway myself but Moshiri etc were giving it large saying how in Jan we will make up for the summer.

Honestly, who do we need to replace? Geri I suppose, but maybe Lookman is just that.

Look, I wanted another attacking option as much as you. I wanted a legit CB that could move Mori the bench and/or allow us to confidently play 4 in the back if needed and put another attacking player on the field. Injuries are a concern, but you know, we only have league games left.

Farhad also isn't a moron. The dude dropped $80M to pay off all our debt and knows that with FFP, we lost $24M last year. Now I don't have the exact numbers in terms of what is permissable income/expense, but 2016 is going to be a very good, profitable year for us. Shaving off the rest of this salary is HUGE as is just the minimal transfer fees we brought in. The "other" expenses for Martinez, coaches, and staff within other costs is also gone. The over $5M a year we pay in debt is also gone. Our revenues are clearly going to increase with the USM FF deal and a new shirt deal, other sponsorship, etc. We are going to have a LOT more $$$ to play with. However, with FFP, it's a multiyear calculation, and those previous years of losses hurt in terms of buying players.

So really, if the right players to buy weren't there, it's wise to lay off it, balance the books, and come out with a tidy profit at least in terms of FFP calculation so that we can buy more players in the summer where the market is much better. Tack on a decent sale for someone like McCarthy to the tune of $20M+, and we are going to be in good shape.

Of course, that's all theoretical. It needs to actually happen.
This a post that the Black Knight might type out with his last digit.

It's only a flesh wound...we can struggle on to next January with 13 players, Sire.

As for the calculations: there's always some f=guff that can be trailed out to excuse the owners of this club, whomever they be.

I think people here need to realise that this is going to take time. We have much more money than we previously did but we do not have an endless pit of money. Clearly we needed to move on a lot of players. You can't just sign a load of players without shifting others. It all looks as if we are getting ready for the summer to bring a fair few in.

Patience needed!

More than two good additions. As well as Schneids and Gana, Williams has been a good addition, so that makes 3 distinct first team improvements over the two windows (I rate Bolassie in and Geri out as a fairly neutral change - not a plus or a minus).

Add to that (and though it's early days) Lookman looks like he might be another first team improvement rather than just a future prospect.

That, the emergence of Holgate and Davies as decent first team players and the shifting of the dead wood off the payroll and out of the squad (always important to clear out the old in life) mean IMO the team and squad are in a massively better place than a year ago even before considering what the majority of us on here would see as a much better manager than our previous one
It's very thin. Imo Williams hasn't worked out. Schneiderlin gives us pretty much the same as we had in the squad already and was a waste of resources, Holgate was already established. Davies was someone this manager would never have brought in himself. Bolasie is (well, let's just leave it there...).

We have left ourselves way short this January and it means one thing: that will have to be work done in the future, putting us behind schedule.

Wrong. He signed two players that will get game time because the manager will pick them; he got rid of several players that he wouldn't have played.

There's a difference.

Barring Del who divides opinion, who of those shipped out should have been getting game time between now and May?

Look at it another way... Where do we need to strengthen? I'm not sure it's a massive job in the summer, but it will need us to be active and bring in quality.
Top class GK
RB cover
LB new starter or cover
CB
Playmaker
Second striker

...all as a matter of urgency - all needing to be integrated into a team - work that could and should have started in the rest of this dead season.

Opportunity scorned.

Barring Del who divides opinion, who of those shipped out should have been getting game time between now and May?

Exactly.

None of the players that have gone have had any real impact on the squad this season, barring Oviedo really.

Del, it's a shame - cos we all want that one to work out - but the lad hasn't helped himself.

As it stands, the squad needs a few improvements (but real, key improvements in four areas):

- CB (always unlikely to get the required quality in January)
- GK (same as above)
- ST (same as above)
- LB (primarily as comp for Baines. A young FB such as Robertson would be ace IMO)
Throw in a winger and, obviously, more incomings would depend on outgoings.

OMG....this.....Evertonians in a nut shell/ Why start the league season mate. Whats the point in all this..... Unbelievable statement. Lets just not fukkin bother hey. We're on a great run, all teams above dropping point every week...LETS HAVE A PROPER GO!!!

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE KENWRIGHT AN MOYES. THIS IS WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO US...!!!!
Don't get me wrong mate. I don't think we won't get one of the top 6 spots because of the names of the teams above us, but because, bar the RS, they have better players this season. And sadly, I don't think we will be able to catch up with the RS, although I will be over the moon if we did.

Last edited:
Top class GK
RB cover
LB new starter or cover
CB
Playmaker
Second striker

...all as a matter of urgency - all needing to be integrated into a team - work that could and should have started in the rest of this dead season.

Opportunity scorned.

GK - yes, we'll go for one in the summer. None are available in the middle of the season, you know that.

RB - we have Holgate and Kenny.

LB - yes, agree. We'll go for one in the summer.

CB - same as above. Most likely Keane in for Jags I think is the 'first choice'.

Playmaker - yeh, this or a more 'creative' winger, who could operate as either a 10 or a 7/11.

SS - yes, but again, the required quality wasn't there. Plea was bid for, Belfodil was agreed. Nice didn't want to sell and Koeman wasn't convinced on Belfodil.

He is. He's currently presiding over what could be an immediate return to European competition after successive years of bottom half finishes. He's solidified the defence, unearthed academy players, and brought the wage bill down massively. Nearly all of his/Walsh's buys have been good so far. Apart from messing up the cups, what reason would Moshiri have not to trust him to mould his own team?
There is no European return, so that's moot
He has NOT solidified this defence - it's still a car crash (we just get more bodies behind the ball)
He did not unearth academy players like Davies and Holgate, they were already unearthed (and largely ignored until the last month)
All the buys so far have not been good: Bolasie is a disastrous purchase, Williams has been overall pretty poor, Schneiderlin is yet to show himself.

Stop trying to gild the lily...there isn't even a lily there to gild.

From my perspective, the exciting thing is that we are essentially giving younger lads half a season to show that they deserve a spot next season.

Say Sambou or Donker get on the bench and look half decent then arguably we save more money for not shelling out on 'squad' players and keep the wage bill down to pick up a few marquee players.

Arguably, we could push on for 6th but if we miss out by blooding a few more youth players and build the foundation for a balls out run next year then I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back