Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what Holgate has done and wouldn't drop him but come summer we should be looking for a long term Mina partner. Preferably someone left footed.
I would imagine there could be a chance Baines will leave in the summer, so if we could get a CB left footed that can cover LB aswel that would work out good, even if we got another LB aswell.

We have Holgate doing well, who needs Zouma, spend a few million on a 4th choice and stick with what we have at CB. Then we can spend the money elsewhere CM and Striker.
In the present market a "few million" buys you nothing,and without CL you're not going to attract anyone decent to be a backup.

linked with Alex Kral of Spartak Moscow, on Royal Blue Mersey site. I have never heard of him, but he is 21 and from the Czech Republic plays as either DM or CM. It is a position we need to get cover in, but ideally I would like someone who has played at a higher level or has a bit more experience, if we are looking for a Schneiderlin replacement

linked with Alex Kral of Spartak Moscow, on Royal Blue Mersey site. I have never heard of him, but he is 21 and from the Czech Republic plays as either DM or CM. It is a position we need to get cover in, but ideally I would like someone who has played at a higher level or has a bit more experience, if we are looking for a Schneiderlin replacement

Seems very strange considering they signed him 2 months ago.

Anyway, heres a scouting report.

For a transfer involving a 21-year-old senior international who was for many – including U-23 football gurus from Scouted Footballthe stand-out Czech performer at U-19 Euros only two years ago, the Alex Král to Spartak Moscow move generated a peculiar, largely skeptical buzz on both sides. “Why 12 million euros for someone who’s not even a regular at his own club?” asked some in the Russian capital. “Why Russian PL of all leagues, doesn’t he remember Luboš Kalouda?” responded baffled Slavia/Czech fans.
Firstly: no, he most definitely doesn’t, since he was about 10 years old when Kalouda languished at CSKA before sorting out a string of underwhelming loans out of the club. Slovakia-born Alex Král was then still at Brno, the second-largest Czech city he left at about the same time Kalouda got released from CSKA.
From a purely geographical standpoint, Král’s career trajectory has actually been satisfyingly predictable. From Košice in Eastern Slovakia through Brno to Prague where he spent most of his formative years at Slavia, all the way to Teplice towards the north-west borders with Germany. Looking at this, I can only have one complaint: Why not RB Leipzig (Lipsko), Alex?
However predictable his career trajectory has been, however, from a footballing standpoint it’s been anything but. The choice of Spartak at a time when the club doesn’t feature in any of the European cups is peculiar, to say the least, and so was his decision to make a permanent switch to Teplice as a cherished Slavia academy product in February 2017 only to return there amidst interest from Bordeaux of Ligue 1.
Král has simply never been afraid of making a bold move and taking on a challenge no one had foreseen for him. This following stint is certainly one of them, but what’s most important now: does he have what it takes to live up to the billing of the second most expensive Czech export after a certain Tomáš Rosický?
|
Dynamic, untamable presence
Let’s start with what Spartak are most definitely going to get from Alex Král: tons of energy, drive through the middle, strength in 1v1 battles. There are features on Král’s game that sort of come and go – for instance, in one game he’ll distribute the ball on long-distance (especially using it to switch the play from one side to the other), whilst in the next game he won’t make a single pass of such nature. There’s usually one constant, though: Král is seemingly never caught flat-footed. Always on his toes, ready to pounce.
Coupled with smart positioning, it’s no coincidence Král is then able to sweep up so many second balls. He does participate in aerial duels, too, but he appears to be aware that he’s no heading machine and so sometimes you’ll see him rather stepping aside, waiting for the convenient bounce that often comes.
His dynamism has its drawbacks, too. While he’s no giant, he still seems to struggle with eye-foot coordination. At 21, this is by no means something unfixable, but it’s become a frustrating habit of his to kick the ball too far ahead when in full sprint, take too many touches to corral the ball, etc. His technique is fine if not excellent at times; he often dribbles out of trouble with nonchalance, but he kind of blows hot and cold in this respect. Over one game, you’re often left in awe at how fantastic and poor his first touch and ball control are; in my opinion a product of sometimes thinking too fast to execute properly.
His ideal position? Still hard to say
Immediately after the move was confirmed, Alex Král revealed to Czech media that Spartak initially intended to suit him up for the Zenit game and only later realized it would’ve been too tight a race with the clock. That – along with four formal offers tabled, rising to more than a double of the original figure (the first offer was said to be valued at €5m) – only signals that Alex Král isn’t coming to warm the bench.
His actual role on the pitch, however, may not be as straightforward a matter as it seems at first sight. I had a Spartak fan come to me all worried that his club is not bringing the right type of a player. After all, Spartak had been presumed to be on the lookout for a conservative holding midfielder, and Král is no such player. He’s just about anything but that, though, and has historically taken any adjustment to his stride.
His breakthrough tournament, U-19 Euros 2017, saw Král gluing the Czech defence together and supporting the build-up from the back. It was right then that his resemblance to David Luiz stretched beyond the hairstyle more than ever. At this point in his career, Král is largely thought of as a central midfielder with a strong inclination towards the right, as opposed to his original position – left centre-back.
Only this term, he’s been used as a connector between the lowest and highest positioned midfielder (my favourite role); as a stabilizing substitute to provide some extra bedding material on the right-hand side; and even as an unorthodox no. 10 on the current Czech national team. Král doesn’t seem to mind either.
Seeing that Zobnin has traditionally favoured the left, Král should be a natural fit to partner him in central midfield with his surging diagonal runs towards the right corner flag. In the hole, his lacking final pass and frankly non-existent shot make him more of a stopgap solution. If all goes well, he basically doubles down on Zobnin’s contribution, which can’t be a bad thing as long as there are capable decision-makers up front.
|
Underrated vision, spatial awareness
As part of writing this piece, I conducted a little social experiment on Twitter: I asked people to give me one attribute they associate with Alex Král in the first place. Naturally, “hair” won the contest, but as for the footballing attributes, most answers revolved along the lines of “energy” or “versatility”, which is fair.
The one attribute that was likely hidden at the very back of everyone’s mind? Král’s passing, dare I say creativity.
Yet, that’s precisely what I’m going to talk about now. It’s obvious Král is not your typical playmaker full of through balls and shot assists. He rather advances the play with the ball at his feet, as the carrier, rather than by passing it forward, and he’s more useful spraying the ball horizontally or diagonally than vertically.
Nonetheless, there’s still an intriguing creative element to his game. It makes sense when you think about it: there’s just no way Spartak are paying 12 million for an “energetic runner”. In fact, this for me is the one attribute I could see as a potentially difference-making one. It’s one thing to be press-resistant and control the ball well when chased down; it’s another thing altogether to follow it up with a cunning play.
Král does have that ability as he’s one of the most instinctive passers we’ve had in years. He acts on his guts a lot which inevitably leads to some misplaced passes, but also to some legitimately outsmarted defences. To better demonstrate what I mean, I made a little compilation of such plays from his recent NT starts:

A risk worth taking on loan with option.....wishful thinking but boy o boy

Attachments

• 62FE7D3D-BBB0-4C29-8A4C-67E98733AD4F.webp
    62FE7D3D-BBB0-4C29-8A4C-67E98733AD4F.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 232

I would imagine there could be a chance Baines will leave in the summer, so if we could get a CB left footed that can cover LB aswel that would work out good, even if we got another LB aswell.

We have already got one... Lewis Gibson. Not sure why we are letting his contract run down - unless he has decided himself that he wont be given a chance here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back