Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manager and DOF need to work together in buying players.
Historically, we have seen players being signed without the managers approval very often end in disaster.
The DOF will have a list of players , the manager probably the same.

However, the January window is difficult because clubs really do not want to see their best players.

How often do we buy a clubs best player though?

Sorry and thanks for the advice.

I'll go and immediately delete my original post and change it something about trying to buy Cavani, Mertens and Koulibaly in this window. They'd love to play for Carlo so can't see any reason why we aren't out there getting them.
Now you're getting the hang of this abomination of a thread correctly. Good man.

ah "the deadwood stage is rolling into town"
Live footage from Finch Farm. Shift that now Marcel.

images.jpeg-1.webp

I know we have a need to sign players as the squad is bare and lacks quality. However with a manager like carlo, who you’d think could even get an extra 10/20% out of players. Is it really worth panic buying and having the same problems that we currently have, players who are not wanted or panic brought. (As pointed out, our squad is built up of 3/4 managers players) It’ll give the management time to see who and what we really need, ready for a big summer? If any funds are available in this window, why waste on say a 3rd or 4th choice player when our top targets could be available in the summer?!

I'd rather see some deadwood moved on than us buy in this window.

The next few months are about evaluation of the squad and getting a robust & cohesive transfer strategy in place that is aligned with having a squad with the skillset to execute the tactical set up that Carlo wants to evolve the squad into playing. We should think about the transfer strategy as being something that will be implemented over a number of transfer windows not just Jan 2020 or summer 2020. It will be players IN and OUT and will take a number of windows to get things sorted. If we can begin to utilise our resources well over the next few season then we can start thinking about Top 6 placings and potentially European football qualification in a few seasons time.

Anyone wanting to run before they can walk is setting the players, the manager and themselves up for un attainable expectations over the next 18-24 months. Unattainable expectations leads to angst and frustration and we don't need that. Manager is in place, Brands is in place. Funds are there. Just going to take time. Everyone needs to be patient and it might take a year or 2 before we see things come together. Mainly due to the filings of previous managers and Moshiri's haphazard approach to manager recruitment.

In summary don't rush into buying anyone this January. Don't expect everything to change in 1 transfer window. It's going to take a fair amount of time to turn things around and start having a Top 6 challenging squad.
I agree with the principle of this, but the club really needs to get it right starting from now. No ups and downs and wobbles, just progression.

It's all very well saying 'don't expect things to change in one window' but it's not really one window at all is it? The summer will be the 8th window since we brought in a DoF, and the 4th with Brands in the role. You can't take over a team that's finished 7th and 8th in the two seasons before you came, spend a load more money, and then say you need 8 transfer windows before you can challenge for 6th. That's madness.

I've said numerous times I think our transfer strategy is muddled. I don't think we can work out whether we're recruiting for the here and now or for the future, and we've got caught in a bit of no mans land. If we were just content to tread water around 8th then we should have signed players accordingly to allow us to do that, with a view to stepping things up over the next few years. We haven't though. I was saying yesterday, it feels like we've stopped looking for good value players and just started dropping £20m+ on every signing. That's what leads to impatience (that and Moshiri's constant insistence that we're going places). When you look at the teams around us in the table, and teams we've played recently, you can see that we could have hovered around 8th without spending anywhere near the amounts we have. It's as if every signing we make is going to be the missing piece of the jigsaw, only for it to turn out that we've got 3 different jigsaws all mixed up. I don't just mean under Walsh, but Brands too.

Sorry and thanks for the advice.

I'll go and immediately delete my original post and change it something about trying to buy Cavani, Mertens and Koulibaly in this window. They'd love to play for Carlo so can't see any reason why we aren't out there getting them.
Just into the Brands thread there . The lodgers in there giving out would lose their mind with some sense been talked :)

Is dissapointing doesnt look like anyone is coming in but aslong as carlo is backed in the summer i can accept it, i would have hoped more players got sold

Been told by a very reliable source that Brands has lashed a 30 million bid in for Arouna Kone to bring him home and form a killer dream team of him and Prince Oumar.

Please God, let this happen.
It's what we as a fan base deserve.

I'm gonna be a douche over this. Kone was my idol as a kid. I modeled how I played sports and somewhat life after him. Still to this day, at work, I pretty much run the business I work at but I always try to out work everyone. Even if I'm putting in double the hours, while you're there I'm gonna work like I just got back from a vacation.

My one uncle who I played pick up football with in the city always called me Kone. And still does to this day.

I used to play kids who made these "all-star" teams and mark them out the game. Not only that, I'd do back heel nutmegs and foolish stuff just to let let them know, I'm better than you.

First day in college we did a 5v5 drill, and it was man. You could only steal the ball from the guy you covered. I went after the best player who ended up playing in the mls but was by far our most talented player.

That was because of growing up idolizing Kone. I know the sentimental [Poor language removed] is lame. I feel selfish because he was a human with so many closer ties and so many others go through so much worse.

I didn't know him but he's a big part of who I am. Thanks if you made it through all of this, and I just been telling people all day. I'm just grateful for what the dude gave to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back