January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sold Pickford and replaced with e.g Bazunu and Johnson for the same fee....there could be 50%+ upside.

If we could hold onto Onana we'd still need to bring in another midfielder. We wouldnt make money on Billing but its a sensible low cost signing.

i do see alot of upside in Lavia and Danilo while someone like a Bowen/Paqueta should have an immediate impact.

Theres quite a range there as well as players already in the championsip...the Chelsea and City u21s etc...

Im sure we'll see some great players linked like last summer (Hojlund?)and am hopeful we could pick out a couple to add to the squad.

The issue is how much we 'need' to spend on incoming players.

If we did sell Holgate, Maupay and Gomes I would expect us to generate £20-25mil + small amounts for Nkounkou etc

Added to a possible £35-40mil budget?

That probably brings in 2 good young players without a major sale.
As I said, it's not that I don't think they're good players or that they're hugely overpriced at what you're quoting, just that I don't think they represent good value. Paqueta would be a 26 year old who had effectively failed in Italy and then in England. It would be an enormous risk spending £30m+ on him, and I just don't think we're in a position to do that. Someone like Billing I've liked since he was at Huddersfield but £20m for a bloke who's been knocking around in this country for 8 years yoyoing between the Championship and the PL relegation zone doesn't seem good value either. We have got to get better at identifying and attracting talent before they take the next step. Paying £25m for Danilo 6 months after Forest got him for £15m is simply not a model we can afford to follow.

If we continue with 3 in midfield, thats currently Gana, Onana and Garner we'd have under contract...so anyone coming in gets alot of game time.

If we did offer the £25mil for Ndiaye then I believe thats also what Bristol City are asking...Dyche of course does seem to like recruiting from the championship too.

Id expect a young player to be attracted by the game time and (if we keep him) would probably be keen on playing alongside Onana as well.

According to the media we did...and £25mil for Ndiaye.

Not saying its true....but what else do we have to go on?
Also a few others in our squad who can play in that position who we’d have to shift first, which might not be easy

I very much doubt we will have any transfer budget. I would guess we will be able to spend a % of any fees recouped through sales. It'll be like the FSW summer.

If relegated...total guesstimates:

GK: Bazunu £15-20mil

MF: Lavia £30-35mil / Billing £15-20mil / Danilo £20-25mil / Paqueta £30-35mil

WF: Bowen £30-35mil / Quattara £25-30mil / Johnson £35-40mil

CF: Scamacca £25-30mil

I might be way off but perhaps the 'best' young players currently in the championship like Ndiaye (Pushing for promotion), Joao Pedro (returning from injury) and Scott (moving this summer)...

...are all at clubs following championship budgets. While relegated clubs will need to sell to follow the same budgets.
I think johnson has a 20 millions release relegation clause

Hey everyone,
new GOT member and ive got some thoughts for the Summer window.

We clearly need a RW so I was thinking we go and splash the cash on either Samuel Chukwueze (hes Nigerian so I think Iwobi may be able to help convince him as they both play to the Nigerian team) or Nico Williams. Both would probably cost in the region of 40 million but they definitely are talented and could be sold for a profit in the future. If they were both unavailable due to price or signing for other clubs then I think Särr would be the next best and I think we could pick him up for around 25-30 million.

At CAM/CM, I was thinking we should firstly sell Davies to raise some spare cash and also release Doucoure even though hes been great under Dyche he is a high earner and I think we could do better signing a younger player with resale value. Anyway enough waffle, my options would be: Alex Scott, Xavi Simons, Kudus, Enzo Le Fee, Szozbolai, Lindström, Reyna or possibly Ugarte as a CM instead of CAM as we already have Iwobi. I think Scott or Le Fee are most likely as Simons has been linked back to PSG and Kudus is wanted at United. As I think Davies should be sold then we would need some squad options but I havent really much done research in that department.

At striker, I think we should sell DCL and raise some funds there as well as from selling Maupay. In a dream world id like to exchange Gomes for David at Lille in addition to some cash say 45 million but I think bigger teams will be looking at David such as United or Chelsea or European teams. More realistically I think we should go for Pedro from Watford and Openda from Lens and possible Ndiaye if the price is reasonable. I wouldve said Elye Wahi but hes a nonce so probably best to avoid him. Other options include loaning Balogun from Arsenal or Embolo from Monaco but hes on the older side.

In defence it looks like Coady is heading back to Wolves and both Keane and Tarky are ageing so we will need reinforcements at the centre back position. My preferences would be Hincapie or Tapsoba from Leverkusen but both would probably have fees around 40 million so may be out of reach in the short term. Tarky and Keane should be ok for next season but the season after that they will need replacing (certainly Keane at least) so the 2 i mentioned could be long term targets. We also need a new LB but the only player I have thought of is Renan Lodi at Forest so he could be one to grab if they go down.

In terms of clearing out the dead wood, the following should go to fund a partial rebuild on top of the players with contracts expiring end of this season like Mina: Holgate, Davies, Iwobi (next January as hes getting old but we can still get something for him), DCL, Maupay, Gray (if we got my RW choices then he should be shifted as hes still relatively young and we could get a good bit of money for him, i was thinking approx 25 million but i just may be mad so please do tell me what you think we could realistically flog him for), Mykolenko (transfermarkt seem to think hes one of the most valuable LB itw but we all know thats BS).

have a good rest of your day.

Hey everyone,
new GOT member and ive got some thoughts for the Summer window.

We clearly need a RW so I was thinking we go and splash the cash on either Samuel Chukwueze (hes Nigerian so I think Iwobi may be able to help convince him as they both play to the Nigerian team) or Nico Williams. Both would probably cost in the region of 40 million but they definitely are talented and could be sold for a profit in the future. If they were both unavailable due to price or signing for other clubs then I think Särr would be the next best and I think we could pick him up for around 25-30 million.

At CAM/CM, I was thinking we should firstly sell Davies to raise some spare cash and also release Doucoure even though hes been great under Dyche he is a high earner and I think we could do better signing a younger player with resale value. Anyway enough waffle, my options would be: Alex Scott, Xavi Simons, Kudus, Enzo Le Fee, Szozbolai, Lindström, Reyna or possibly Ugarte as a CM instead of CAM as we already have Iwobi. I think Scott or Le Fee are most likely as Simons has been linked back to PSG and Kudus is wanted at United. As I think Davies should be sold then we would need some squad options but I havent really much done research in that department.

At striker, I think we should sell Dominic Calvert-Lewin and raise some funds there as well as from selling Maupay. In a dream world id like to exchange Gomes for David at Lille in addition to some cash say 45 million but I think bigger teams will be looking at David such as United or Chelsea or European teams. More realistically I think we should go for Pedro from Watford and Openda from Lens and possible Ndiaye if the price is reasonable. I wouldve said Elye Wahi but hes a nonce so probably best to avoid him. Other options include loaning Balogun from Arsenal or Embolo from Monaco but hes on the older side.

In defence it looks like Coady is heading back to Wolves and both Keane and Tarky are ageing so we will need reinforcements at the centre back position. My preferences would be Hincapie or Tapsoba from Leverkusen but both would probably have fees around 40 million so may be out of reach in the short term. Tarky and Keane should be ok for next season but the season after that they will need replacing (certainly Keane at least) so the 2 i mentioned could be long term targets. We also need a new LB but the only player I have thought of is Renan Lodi at Forest so he could be one to grab if they go down.

In terms of clearing out the dead wood, the following should go to fund a partial rebuild on top of the players with contracts expiring end of this season like Mina: Holgate, Davies, Iwobi (next January as hes getting old but we can still get something for him), Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Maupay, Gray (if we got my RW choices then he should be shifted as hes still relatively young and we could get a good bit of money for him, i was thinking approx 25 million but i just may be mad so please do tell me what you think we could realistically flog him for), Mykolenko (transfermarkt seem to think hes one of the most valuable LB itw but we all know thats BS).

have a good rest of your day.

I think ive named alot of the same players in the past :o

Chukwueze -- a year on his contract

Williams - rumours he doesnt want to move overseas

Sarr - We offered the £3mil fee to loan him last Jan

Scott, Simons, Kudus, Ugarte, Le Fee may all be quality options in midfield but I cant see us trying for Szoboszlai, Lindstrom or Reyna. Their fees could be enormous.

Jonathan David, Joao Pedro, Openda, Ndiaye, Embolo or Balogun are all interesting options.

Hincapie, Tapsoba and Lodi at LB all good players in defence too.

I think we need a midfielder, right sided player and a centre forward. Pretty much everyone named walks into our team.

elpugi.webp

A proper striker for Everton. Already proven he can score goals in Premier League.;)

Just something I found on youtube a few weeks ago:

It seems that the Särr links were made up by a youtuber trying to prove how easy it is to make up transfer rumours.

Just something I found on youtube a few weeks ago:

It seems that the Särr links were made up by a youtuber trying to prove how easy it is to make up transfer rumours.

Nah. It was a genuine link and was before whoever that was claimed he started it.

If you want to make that point - a very simple one that content/clicks over accuracy, then at least pick an obscure player and one that hasn't long been linked by very credible sources.

I don't think they'd drop substantially in most cases. Ouattara and Danilo were only signed in January so you'd imagine the possibility of going down was factored into their clubs' thinking when signing them. They're pretty much all one step too far along the path to be much value. We were linked with Johnson last year for £20mish, he's now got 10 goals at PL level and a couple of international goals, you're looking at minimum £35m now, and if for some reason it was substantially less than that we'd be way down the pecking order because he'd represent good value for better sides than us.

The only thing with Johnson is, I think he has a release clause.

But yes, I think he will have more attractive suitors.

We could probably do a lot worse, at looking to the championship, for lads with a shorter time frame on a contract for recruitment. Avoid the "marquee" names people tend to go for and there should be some reasonable value available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back