Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.
the island of Honshu has shifted two and a half metres as a result of the earthquake :o

honshu.gif

It would work lad. Its how most of us would test for this type of material.

If you want to know about what's going on in layman's terms lad

I suggest you read this. Its a pretty decent well drawn together article without being hysterical.

New Scientist
Fukushima update: cracked fuel rods threaten meltdown
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/03/japan-megaquake-update.html

Interesting. This is the worry though: "The pressure vessel that contains the fuel rods will have some threshold beyond which it cannot cope, and will break open." The plan seems to be just allow venting. I cant see in that report the means to stop the meltdown continuing - cooling the reactor down.

Interesting. This is the worry though: "The pressure vessel that contains the fuel rods will have some threshold beyond which it cannot cope, and will break open." The plan seems to be just allow venting. I cant see in that report the means to stop the meltdown continuing - cooling the reactor down.

Venting and putting in water then venting again, does cool the reactor down and prevents meltdown.

The venting is of Water / Hydrogen and contains the trace amounts of I and Cs radio isotopes.

That is what is being detected by the likes of the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Regan. And when they talk about tests, they mean environmental protection agencies - who take samples from ground water, air and off surfaces.

Its simply a case of keeping the reactor cool. This could take weeks until a permanent cooling system is back in place.

Cooling down means keeping cool. This is still about 100C lad for a reactor like this.

Now the engineering of the containment vessel has shown it can withstand a hydrogen blast, and if sea water is being circulated, then I don't think a containment vessel breach is likely.

Last edited:
Venting and putting in water then venting again, does cool the reactor down and prevents meltdown.

The venting is of Water / Hydrogen and contains the trace amounts of I and Cs radio isotopes.

That is what is being detected by the likes of the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Regan. And when they talk about tests, they mean environmental protection agencies - who take samples from ground water, air and off surfaces.

Its simply a case of keeping the reactor cool. This could take weeks until a permanent cooling system is back in place.

Cooling down means keeping cool. This is still about 100C lad for a reactor like this.

Now the engineering of the containment vessel has shown it can withstand a hydrogen blast, and if sea water is being circulated, then I don't think a containment vessel breach is likely.
Yes, but as the report implies, it's not much of a plan at all as it requires constant venting over years to cool the reactor down and all the while caesium is released into the atmosphere. It's going to have to be capped in some way. What happened at Three Mile Island?

Yes, but as the report implies, it's not much of a plan at all as it requires constant venting over years to cool the reactor down and all the while caesium is released into the atmosphere. It's going to have to be capped in some way. What happened at Three Mile Island?

No not years. Weeks go get it stable and so they can reassess the structure of the vessel.

In that time the pump system can be repaired, that's what the US has been brought in to help with.

Even over weeks the Cs exposure will be miniscule.

No not years. Weeks go get it stable and so they can reassess the structure of the vessel.

In that time the pump system can be repaired, that's what the US has been brought in to help with.

Even over weeks the Cs exposure will be miniscule.

From your link:
You have to keep pumping water in to cool that mass, for as many years as it takes. - Michael Bluck.

They really are lovably bonkers in Japan aren't they?

A Twitter campaign has been set up to persuade Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yukio Edano, to go to bed. Mr Edano has been dutifully covering the nuclear crisis at all hours of the day and night, but many TV viewers feel the strain is beginning to tell. The hashtag #edano_nero - which mean "Edano, go to bed" - has been trending on Twitter.

Superbly mad.

They really are lovably bonkers in Japan aren't they?

A Twitter campaign has been set up to persuade Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yukio Edano, to go to bed. Mr Edano has been dutifully covering the nuclear crisis at all hours of the day and night, but many TV viewers feel the strain is beginning to tell. The hashtag #edano_nero - which mean "Edano, go to bed" - has been trending on Twitter.

Superbly mad.

I love that he wears a grey boiler suit. He looks like he means business.

I love that he wears a grey boiler suit. He looks like he means business.
Please, Edano, go to bed
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/14/edano-go-to-bed

Yukio-Edano-007.jpg

Forget apocalyptic landscapes and marauding tsunamis. For many in Japan, the defining image from the aftermath of Friday's earthquake is that of the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano (pictured). Clad in a now-iconic light-blue jump-suit, Edano has become the public face of the government during the crisis – seemingly ever-present on TV screens, and making announcement after unscripted announcement, morning, noon and night, about rescue operations, and the state of the stricken Fukushima nuclear reactor.

As the bags beneath his eyes grow larger than pillows, many are wondering just when Edano will catch some kip. In fact, the question is so urgent the hashtag #edano_nero – "Edano, go to bed" – was trending on Twitter for much of Monday afternoon

Please, Edano, go to bed
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/14/edano-go-to-bed

Yukio-Edano-007.jpg

Forget apocalyptic landscapes and marauding tsunamis. For many in Japan, the defining image from the aftermath of Friday's earthquake is that of the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano (pictured). Clad in a now-iconic light-blue jump-suit, Edano has become the public face of the government during the crisis – seemingly ever-present on TV screens, and making announcement after unscripted announcement, morning, noon and night, about rescue operations, and the state of the stricken Fukushima nuclear reactor.

As the bags beneath his eyes grow larger than pillows, many are wondering just when Edano will catch some kip. In fact, the question is so urgent the hashtag #edano_nero – "Edano, go to bed" – was trending on Twitter for much of Monday afternoon

If anything summed up the inanity of twitter it's that campaign. Go to bed Edano. FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back