Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Tory plans to usher in a new generation of nuclear plants has just taken a big step backward!

I think the Tory plans to usher in a new generation of nuclear plants has just taken a big step backward!

Labour plans you mean. Don't rewrite history.

If you knew anything of the difference in design of the EPR to this type of 1970's reactor - lies in it having 4 independent cooling systems compared to 3 in the Japanese design.

Also the containment structure itself is more modern. More like newer American/European safety standards post 9/11 using both steel and Concrete:
From wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Containment_building
Modern designs have also shifted more towards using steel containment structures. In some cases steel is used to line the inside of the concrete, which contributes strength from both materials in the hypothetical case that containment becomes highly pressurized. Yet other newer designs call for both a steel and concrete containment, notably the AP1000 and the European Pressurized Reactor plan to use both, which gives missile protection by the outer concrete and pressurizing ability by the inner steel structure. The AP1000 has planned vents at the bottom of the concrete structure surrounding the steel structure under the logic that it would help move air over the steel structure and cool containment in the event of a major accident (in a similar way to how a cooling tower works).

ANY new nuclear reactors in the UK - would only be allowed if they were EPR type. EDF's Sizewell C proposal are of this type.

One thing I think may happen is that a further independent cooling system will be introduced by law (being 5 systems then). with its own power supply.

Also a double redundant containment vessel. i.e. a containment vessel inside a containment vessel.

Last edited:

Sadly I suspect you're right. The energy situation has just taken a big jolt, even though the chances of this happening in England are next to nil, the NIMBY'ists will have a field day with this. Looks like we'll have to start cozying up to Russia in a big way if we want to keep the lights on :(

Its quite clear that this is now a disaster of biblical proportions now.

Earth quake , Tsunami and now Nuclear Meltdown and radiation release.

Shocking.

I hope everyone's made a donation to the Red Cross lads.

How is a nuclear meltdown biblical?

Its metaphorical or allegorical which ever way you want to put it

It seems like you are loving this with your biblical references and demands for power plants to be sued.

Thousands of people are missing, some of us have friends out there who are very scared right now.

Your posts are unwelcome and embarrassing.

It seems like you are loving this with your biblical references and demands for power plants to be sued.

Thousands of people are missing, some of us have friends out there who are very scared right now.

Your posts are unwelcome and embarrassing.

Loving this? Unwelcome and embarrassing ? Are you having a laugh?

Do me a favour. Get a grip of yourself.

7b27e287-5bc7-4404-b5d3-e1aaed775da1_500.jpg

A Japan Self Defense Forces fighter jet is swept into a building by a tsunami at an airbase in Higashimatsushima City, Miyagi Prefecture in northeastern Japan March 12, 2011. REUTERS/KYODO Kyodo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back