Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC News reporting "At least three residents evacuated from a town near quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 plant have been exposed to radiation", sourcing both Kyodo and NHK.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to reconcile the "everything's under control" line from the authorities, with the ever-increasing safety measures, and the ever-escalating reports coming from sources there. They've said a lot of stuff, but for me nothing we've seen so far has shown any level of control whatsoever. Why is the evacuation zone being extended if the situation is not escalating? Why is iodine being distributed? Why has iodine been mentioned at all, since it has no effect whatsoever on Caesium-137 (the fuel in question) being absorbed into bone? If the situation is "under control", why did a huge building suddenly explode this morning? If the situation is under control, why is there in increasingly long list of plant workers receiving major injuries? If it's under control, why are there already three residents exposed to radiation? Why has the public been told that the risk of radiation leak was minimal, when already people had been affected? There is something not right in any of this, and it is the absolute height of naivety to believe anything the people with vested interests are currently saying, above their actions.

Japan, do not forget, has a recent history of covering up the severity nuclear accidents.

Last edited:
BBC News reporting "At least three residents evacuated from a town near quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 plant have been exposed to radiation", sourcing both Kyodo and NHK.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to reconcile the "everything's under control" line from the authorities, with the ever-increasing safety measures, and the ever-escalating reports coming from sources there. They've said a lot of stuff, but for me nothing we've seen so far has shown any level of control whatsoever. Why is the evacuation zone being extended if the situation is not escalating? Why is iodine being distributed? Why has iodine been mentioned at all, since it has no effect whatsoever on Caesium-137 (the fuel in question) being absorbed into bone? If the situation is "under control", why did a huge building suddenly explode this morning? If the situation is under control, why is there in increasingly long list of plant workers receiving major injuries? If it's under control, why are there already three residents exposed to radiation? Why has the public been told that the risk of radiation leak was minimal, when already people had been affected? There is something not right in any of this, and it is the absolute height of naivety to believe anything the people with vested interests are currently saying, above their actions.

As soon as that earthquake hit I'd have been on my way as far as possible from that place - I dont think I'd have waited for some bureaucrat to tell me to shift a few kilometers overnight.

Japan, do not forget, has a recent history of covering up the severity nuclear accidents.

I know the BBC is expensive and all that for UK residents. However look at the bright side this is what you get when you privatize all the news/radio stations is our fair country.

Japan earthquake will have no impact on Ohio

But expert says Pacific rim shakers are common.
Friday, March 11, 2011
(Columbus) - Don't expect the Japan earthquake to have any impact on Ohio. So reports Michael Hansen of the Ohio Seismic Network, who expects no chain reaction tremors here.

Even though the state has about 6 minor earthquakes a year, Hansen explains that they usually are only felt in the local area where they occur. So far this year there have been no earthquakes in Ohio.

Hansen also contends it's not unusual for Pacific Rim earthquakes to trigger a tsunami that impacts the U.S.

He says there’s evidence a major tsunami hit Oregon and Washington in 1700, and in 1940 a tsunami hit Hawaii and coastal California.

Hansen explains, large earthquakes happen frequently along the Pacific Rim, and often occur in waves but balancing out on a yearly basis.

As vital as rolling news can be during this type of thing, the endless repeats of frankly horrific scenes (especially that one where the houses and buildings get smashed down by the tsunami) and needless interviews (News 24 is replaying its Ken Hom interview) do tend to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Also for the handling of the nuclear plants, dont forget that Japanese politics is really corrupt - all this advice and the carefully-worded statements implying (but not actually saying) they are on top of it is probably just the political class trying desperately to cover their own arses by showing that (i) they are doing what they can and (ii) it wasnt their bright idea to house several big reactors, close to large population centres, right over a massive subduction zone and in an area that invented the word tsunami.

When I saw the various pictures, they showed graphically the awesome destruction of nature.

I think it really hit home when they showed the before and after of a town with some 2,000 residents, most likely to be dead.

When I saw the various pictures, they showed graphically the awesome destruction of nature.

I think it really hit home when they showed the before and after of a town with some 2,000 residents, most likely to be dead.

From what I heard the death toll is going to be less than 2000. Which is amazing considering that the quake was about 100X stronger than Haiti. The infastructure seemed to hold up well. The tsunami did most of the damage and alot of that seemed to be be boats, cars etc that aren't tied down to the ground.

Hopefully the govt learned something after the Katrina like response in Kobe.

i cant believe how bad this all is. Maybe it is the TV pictures, but I cant remember ever seeing anything as shocking.

Good to see the minutes silence at the Wales V Ireland Rugby match. Hope the footballing authorities do something similar - at Goodison for the Fulham match - a small gesture, but football is big in Japan and I sure this will mean somrthing the the people over there

i cant believe how bad this all is. Maybe it is the TV pictures, but I cant remember ever seeing anything as shocking.

Good to see the minutes silence at the Wales V Ireland Rugby match. Hope the footballing authorities do something similar - at Goodison for the Fulham match - a small gesture, but football is big in Japan and I sure this will mean somrthing the the people over there

Alright.

[video=youtube;6JVpy0L5z7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JVpy0L5z7s&feature=player_embedded[/video]

What do you reckon happened with the hospital? I mean would the patients still all be in there or do you reckon they had enough time to evacuate. I just dont know... Allow tsunami's man, no good can come of them.

What do you reckon happened with the hospital? I mean would the patients still all be in there or do you reckon they had enough time to evacuate. I just dont know... Allow tsunami's man, no good can come of them.

The Japanese have the best warning systems in the world for all this so hopefully they had enough time to get them out. You'd imagine there were some folks that simply couldn't be moved though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back