2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
1717612320491.webp
1717612252503.webp

1717612657416.webp
1717612716487.webp

I seen a video of him talking about signing a 4 year contract and looking forward to playing for us for many years.

No traction in this sub makes me think it was an old video. And I am in a dark place right now.

I honestly believe that the issue with Branthwaite is how much better he is than Maguire.

Southgate was a good centre-back himself. He knows what he's seeing in training.

Its strange though, why not have him as Maguires backup? He could always say that he thought it would be helpful for him to learn from Englands experienced captain.

Actually that's an excellent point. I.e., if he plays Branthwaite in a friendly chances are he will light it up and as a left footed, 6'5, quick centre back who is comfortable on the ball, the media will bang the drum for him to start over his beloved Maguire...

I think Southgate may be leaving after this tournament. May have something to do with it...or if he stays he can say hes unearthed him or some nonsense.

I seen a video of him talking about signing a 4 year contract and looking forward to playing for us for many years.

No traction in this sub makes me think it was an old video. And I am in a dark place right now.

Lost me with the 2nd para

Media saying Maddison, Quansah, Jones been told they're out. May be a straight head to head, unbelievably, between Dunk and Branflakes.

Media saying Maddison, Quansah, Jones been told they're out. May be a straight head to head, unbelievably, between Dunk and Branflakes.

Will be youth vs experience then

It's kind of hard to call with Southgate on stuff like that, because he has given a chance to many younger players over his reign, but does like having some older heads amongst the squad as well

It could come down to what he feels the balance is like of youth and experience, and then picking the player that best helps with that balance

It's kind of hard to call with Southgate on stuff like that, because he has given a chance to many younger players over his reign, but does like having some older heads amongst the squad as well

It could come down to what he feels the balance is like of youth and experience, and then picking the player that best helps with that balance

I'd be surprised if Dunk isn't chosen ahead of Branthwaite, even though I think it's the wrong choice.

Dunk has more exposure in the kind of system that Southgate plays and as you rightly said, has more experience which is key at big tournaments, particularly as a CB.

Agree with all that.

Looking at the names here:

Defenders:
Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

The general concensus is that Maguire starts alongside Stones. You'd imagine he wants five CB in the squad, Quansah is out, so that's three from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi, Gomez, Konsa.

I guess Konsa has earned it after a very strong season with Villa and he'll be in.

Two fall from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi and Gomez. I hope it's Dunk and Gomez that fall - they hardly bring lots of top level experience to the table, whereas Branthwaite has had a tremendous season and is hopefully viewed as an adequate backup, even though he'll barely get any minutes if picked. He's surely not going to pick Gomez because he can play (badly) at left back if needed.

Its strange though, why not have him as Maguires backup? He could always say that he thought it would be helpful for him to learn from Englands experienced captain.

I think Southgate may be leaving after this tournament. May have something to do with it...or if he stays he can say hes unearthed him or some nonsense.

Lost me with the 2nd para

Yeah he's contracted to 2027 so we can hold out for absolute top dollar for him even next summer. We should keep him at all costs this season, but whether we can or not remains to be seen.

His value can only go up, especially after Manchester City rip up the rule book and start being allowed to spend £1b every transfer window - that's when the likes of them and Newcastle will start throwing around £1m a week contracts and having £250m signings sat on the bench.

If Southgate doesn't include branthwaite in his squad for the Euros then i don't know what a player has to do to get in it. Loads of clean sheets in a side fighting relegation yet the likes of dunk and Maguire et al are still classed ahead of him, mind boggling selection if thats what happens.

Agree with all that.

Looking at the names here:

Defenders:
Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

The general concensus is that Maguire starts alongside Stones. You'd imagine he wants five CB in the squad, Quansah is out, so that's three from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi, Gomez, Konsa.

I guess Konsa has earned it after a very strong season with Villa and he'll be in.

Two fall from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi and Gomez. I hope it's Dunk and Gomez that fall - they hardly bring lots of top level experience to the table, whereas Branthwaite has had a tremendous season and is hopefully viewed as an adequate backup, even though he'll barely get any minutes if picked. He's surely not going to pick Gomez because he can play (badly) at left back if needed.

I mean Gomez and Dunk have a lot more experience than Branthwaite..

I think Gomez will go as he can play across the back line, and with Shaw a fitness doubt we do need a body to play left back.

Branthwaite has had a great season but I’m not wetting myself that he absolutely must go to this tournament. If he keeps on developing then he has a great England career to come.

For him it would be great if he goes to the Euros and is given a chance..... However historically looking at Everton players records in recent tournaments (exception being Pickford), they have gone but never given a chance... so except for experience it will be pointless him going!

Look at how DCL or Barkley got on in tournaments in the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back