2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all that.

Looking at the names here:

Defenders:
Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

The general concensus is that Maguire starts alongside Stones. You'd imagine he wants five CB in the squad, Quansah is out, so that's three from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi, Gomez, Konsa.

I guess Konsa has earned it after a very strong season with Villa and he'll be in.

Two fall from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi and Gomez. I hope it's Dunk and Gomez that fall - they hardly bring lots of top level experience to the table, whereas Branthwaite has had a tremendous season and is hopefully viewed as an adequate backup, even though he'll barely get any minutes if picked. He's surely not going to pick Gomez because he can play (badly) at left back if needed.
Gomez has won the Champions League mate????

I'd imagine Gomez gets picked as a left back, so you can take him off the list! 2 from Dunk, Guehi & Branthwaite

People imagine this anti Everton bias you know.

We literally have the England keeper.

Keane, Godfrey, DCL, Barkley, Rodwell.. they all had chances for England but ultimately none of them were good enough.

Tarkowski is unfortunate but then he’s played his whole career at teams that don’t play football.

Keane, Godfrey, DCL, Barkley, Rodwell.. they all had chances for England but ultimately none of them were good enough.

Tarkowski is unfortunate but then he’s played his whole career at teams that don’t play football.
Not saying there is an Everton bias at all...

But DCL and Barkley were never in fact given a chance ..

Calvert Lewin played 19 mins across 2 games back in 2021.

Then Barkley back in 2014 or 2016 cannot remember which one, but not sure he even got on the pitch!

Whether they were good enough, or issues in training etc history tells us that if they are on the fringe and taken only for experience it is pointless. Let him take Dunk and Gomez.

I think that maybe says something about him as a footballer.

Then Barkley back in 2014 or 2016 cannot remember which one, but not sure he even got on the pitch!

Whether they were good enough, or issues in training etc history tells us that if they are on the fringe and taken only for experience it is pointless. Let him take Dunk and Gomez.
Didn’t Stephen warnock get picked over baines back in 2010??

I don’t think Southgate cares about which club you play for but previous managers definitely did. 2016 euros were ridiculous, Barkley plays most of the qualifiers in midfield, is instrumental in the win over Germany before the tournament, then Hodgson decides to pick Dier and Dele who have barely played for England to start the tournament because they had a decent end to the season at Spurs.

Warnock over Baines in 2010
Carragher over Jagielka in the same tournament

Southgate has done a lot for breaking the selection criteria that existed under Sven Cappello and Hodgson and the team is better for it in my opinion. People talk about Pickford being number 1 but I’m not sure any of those previous managers pick him despite him being the best England keeper by a country mile.

Baines Jagielka Lescott Barkley all should have played a lot more for England when in their prime with us. I even think Osman should have got a few more caps but England had managers that sidelined technical players like Carrick and Scholes and instead just always relied on brute power of Gerrard Lampard Henderson, players who got us nowhere in big tournaments.

Harry Kane is his competition mate! When he's fit, he stays on the pitch!

If there was a bias, Quansah would be going over Branthwaite......................or god forbid, 'Rambo' would of took Pickford's number 1!

Harry Kane is his competition mate! When he's fit, he stays on the pitch!
Unpopular opinion but Harry Kane is overrated..... Watching him in that tournament was unbelievably frustrating... kept dropping deep leaving no one up front, even taking corners.

The reliance on his ridiculous and quite frankly not needed.... DCL should have been given more of a chance after the season he had.

Unpopular opinion but Harry Kane is overrated..... Watching him in that tournament was unbelievably frustrating... kept dropping deep leaving no one up front, even taking corners.

The reliance on his ridiculous and quite frankly not needed.... DCL should have been given more of a chance after the season he had.
I'm one of Dom's biggest fans, but after that beginning to the season, he got 5 goals in his last 22 games of that season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back