2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have felt like a defeat but losing from a winning position costs 3 points not 2.

Agree with those who say Gbamin shouldn't be anywhere near the bench - an under 23 player more use atm. No certainty Gbamin will ever recover, unfortunate as noone's fault but a complete waste of money
Err bit harsh that considering he's in the business end of his recovery? Ancelotti has even come out and said he's shown good desire to play and his ability is there to see.

Interesting debate. Just curious - did Gbamin's positional play help heap pressure on to us or fail to prevent the goal? Did his role in losing possession or not enabling more possession contribute not conceding?

Personally I don't think any of the above is true. I'm not sure bringing King on helps us look any more solid either. Maybe puts palace on the back foot, maybe not.

I think the personell switch in defence did it - Kean and Mina end up losing shape and position when Godfrey goes awol.

I understand where you are coming from, but if not him, who replaces James?
Ideally you would give him game time somehow, but the first team squad is threadbare.
Obviously it's difficult to say this type of thing because I can't prove that anything would have changed the way the game panned out. It's just an opinion. Personally I just didn't see the point of the first sub, and I thought it caused us all sorts of problems because Godfrey looked exactly what he was, a centre half playing right wing back for the first time in his life. Not making the first sub would obviously have given us more options for the second. Even dealing with the situation as it was though, I think moving to a back 4 of Godfrey, Mina, Keane and Holgate and then a midfield 4 of Digne, Davies, Sigurdsson, and Richarlison, with King coming on for James. would have been preferable to what we did.

Err bit harsh that considering he's in the business end of his recovery? Ancelotti has even come out and said he's got good desire and his ability is there to see.

It's just facing up to a likely hard truth. Think of players who've been through really bad injury episodes, normally they're never anything like the player when they 'recover'. Often other injuries to other parts follow as the body tries to overcompensate for weaknesses left by the original injury

From our recent experience with Bolassie and McCarthy (always injured after the first) to others at various clubs. Liverpool's Fernando Torres laughably Chelsea signed him after the hamstring finished him. Arsenal's Jack Wilshere was once promising great things but an horrific injury left him half the player. Even Delph is now always injured or when not, just about to be.

Perhaps Ancelotti just thought...

Allans out again and Doucoure is crocked so I need to get this guy up to speed.

Hes also said depending on Gbamin he may not need to buy a player there this summer. He'll buy a midfielder for sure but perhaps a different type if he rates Gbamin.
I imagine that’s almost exactly what he thought, but we don’t have the luxury of giving him minutes in a tight game at 1-0 to get him up to speed. I know that’s inconvenient but it is what it is; had he been back earlier in the season he could have had cup games or minutes in the odd game in which we HAVE had a comfortable lead, but if my aunt had plums and all that...

I honestly think Ancelotti saw no threat from Palace and so lashed JPG on as a nice, feel-good story he could chat about after the game and it’s blown up in his face. In general I love Carlo but he’s dropped a massive clanger here. Happens to the best of us, we just need to get focussed on the next one now.

I imagine that’s almost exactly what he thought, but we don’t have the luxury of giving him minutes in a tight game at 1-0 to get him up to speed. I know that’s inconvenient but it is what it is; had he been back earlier in the season he could have had cup games or minutes in the odd game in which we HAVE had a comfortable lead, but if my aunt had plums and all that...

I honestly think Ancelotti saw no threat from Palace and so lashed JPG on as a nice, feel-good story he could chat about after the game and it’s blown up in his face. In general I love Carlo but he’s dropped a massive clanger here. Happens to the best of us, we just need to get focussed on the next one now.

Half agree with you.

Other half of me says that as he came on for a shattered James and sat in midfield then it was somewhat of a lower risk than if it had been a like for like or something other than an attacker for a midfielder.

Half agree with you.

Other half of me says that as he came on for a shattered James and sat in midfield then it was somewhat of a lower risk than if it had been a like for like or something other than an attacker for a midfielder.
I think it’s only a lower risk if the player could be trusted to shore things up. Carlo’s experience should tell him that 15 mins at the end of a game where we’re likely to be under the cosh is not the time to take a punt on the lad who’s been out for 2 years coming back as prime Makelele.

In any event, it’s done now.

I don’t think his substitution had much to do with the draw. Taking Coleman off had a much bigger impact.

I think it’s only a lower risk if the player could be trusted to shore things up. Carlo’s experience should tell him that 15 mins at the end of a game where we’re likely to be under the cosh is not the time to take a punt on the lad who’s been out for 2 years coming back as prime Makelele.

In any event, it’s done now.

Tbh i actually think he did 'ok'...

Status
Not open for further replies.