Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of age he's just entering his prime years for a keeper.

Personally I think we have more pressing issues. Stek as a backup is serviceable as well.

At 26, I still think he's 3 years off his prime. Goalkeepers are always later to their prime, than outfield players.

When Joel has played, whether under Martinez or Koeman he's rarely let them down. Commands his box. Very good shot stopper. Reads the game brilliantly and is happy to rush out (good job, as Williams and Mori always look like a HGV doing a 3 point turn in a cul-de-sac)

City, Liverpool would love a reliable keeper like Joel. For me, he's our No1 until De Gea, Courtois, Neuer or Leno become available.

We'll agree to disagree but i stand by my opinion that Robles is quite comfortably the worst Everton keeper i have ever seen pull on our shirt and that includes the likes of Gerrard, Wright and Ruddy. I'm all for giving players a chance but i have seen enough of him to know he hasn't got a cat in hells chance of being a number one keeper for a team looking to qualify for Europe and beyond.
Jeez.

In terms of age he's just entering his prime years for a keeper.

Personally I think we have more pressing issues. Stek as a backup is serviceable as well.

This is one of his biggest attributes.

A few years away from his prime. Get it right and we could be talking about ten years with the guy.

That save the other day was top-notch. Yes he still has the occasional hiccup but almost every goalkeeper does, it's about making big saves at crucial points in games and he's doing plenty of that at the moment. Definitely seems Koeman has come round to him.

You say he has the occasional hiccup ... when was his last one? I can't remember one and I'm not counting the derby goal as his fault either

At 26, I still think he's 3 years off his prime. Goalkeepers are always later to their prime, than outfield players.

When Joel has played, whether under Martinez or Koeman he's rarely let them down. Commands his box. Very good shot stopper. Reads the game brilliantly and is happy to rush out (good job, as Williams and Mori always look like a HGV doing a 3 point turn in a cul-de-sac)

City, Liverpool would love a reliable keeper like Joel. For me, he's our No1 until De Gea, Courtois, Neuer or Leno become available.

Not always, no. But Robles will be one of the ones that hit their prime later, I agree with that.

You say he has the occasional hiccup ... when was his last one? I can't remember one and I'm not counting the derby goal as his fault either

For me he had a nightmare v Sunderland away, but frankly the whole team did and clearly something was amiss that night with the squad. Obviously aware Martinez was going.

Apart from that cant think of any others?

Credit to the keeping coach that Koeman brought over the summer. Done wonders. And credit to Joel for being so receptive to the coaching too.

If he continues in this form he should no doubt get the jersey next season. GK was a priority last summer, now I'd even prioritise a LB over a new keeper, his form is a massive boost in a number of ways and he is proving he has the ability to become a top keeper!

Ideally i would love us to go and get a world class keeper but I do think with Robles you can definitely see improvement month on month, first season he was awful and made quite a few mistakes, from then on you can see how much he is learning, his positioning coming out to stop angles now is a million miles from his first few games, when he he just stuck his leg out. He seems to be getting better with crosses and you can see the difference in his shot stopping too. I can't think of many players who I have seen such improvement in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back