Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's better than hart IMO... he might not fetch as much if he was sold but that means nothing IMO... in a world where more money is spent on Sterling than was spent on lukaku ... transfer fees don't show how good a player is necessarily. Robles has literally not cost us a single goal and has earned us points.... hart is basically a david james , he has great games but will make at least 8 cock ups a season that are unbelievably stupid and cost points... Robles isn't top class yet and may never be... but he's proving to be a good keeper and has improved immensely . He has been dropped for no reason and had to watch the clown play before him for years... he has put the work in and waited for his chance and improved his skills... this shows me he is mentally strong and works hard ... this hopefully means he will continue to do so and keep improving... he could become top class ... but we will never know if we buy someone like hart
His form this season HAS been top class though. How long does he need to continue that form to be considered top class. End of the season? Or maybe even end of next season.

His form this season HAS been top class though. How long does he need to continue that form to be considered top class. End of the season? Or maybe even end of next season.

I think this is the territory we are getting to with Joel now. His clean sheets record is very good, he calms the defence in front of him and makes me calm watching us. I remember in his second season, coming into a side that was completely all over the place defensively he kept something daft like 3 consecutive clean sheets. It was the only timer under Martinez we looked like we wouldn't conceede.

This is a lad who at youth level was ahead of De Gea. Now I doubt he will ever get to that level, and it it almost Kopite levels of delusion to suggest that he automatically will. However goalkeepers tend to peak at different moments and some do develop later, as they grow into their bodies somewhat.

For what is a youngish goalkeeper getting his first proper run his record of clean sheets and other stats are massively impressive. I believe he will continue to improve (and will need too) but people play down just how well he's been playing for us.

Our alternatives in the summer are to go and buy an elite goalkeeper. Could we entice away someone like a Lloris? I highly doubt it. Or we get a prospect. As indicated I like Butland, there are likes like Horn or Leno from Germany. However having seen Karuis and Feiler similarly highly rated from Germany struggle to adapt are they significantly better than Joel? Likewise Butland post injury, is he that much better than Joel?

I don't wax lyrical over goalkeepers. I am a tough judge. The only one I've seen for us better than Joel was Martyn (I only got the end of Southall).

He has made very few errors this season, but has made a number of top class saves. 6 clean sheets in the league in his last 10 games suggests he is gaining confidence and more importantly the confidence of those in front of him and koeman. Never thought I'd say this, but maybe we won't be looking for a new 'no.1' in the summer.

I think this is the territory we are getting to with Joel now. His clean sheets record is very good, he calms the defence in front of him and makes me calm watching us. I remember in his second season, coming into a side that was completely all over the place defensively he kept something daft like 3 consecutive clean sheets. It was the only timer under Martinez we looked like we wouldn't conceede.

This is a lad who at youth level was ahead of De Gea
. Now I doubt he will ever get to that level, and it it almost Kopite levels of delusion to suggest that he automatically will. However goalkeepers tend to peak at different moments and some do develop later, as they grow into their bodies somewhat.

For what is a youngish goalkeeper getting his first proper run his record of clean sheets and other stats are massively impressive. I believe he will continue to improve (and will need too) but people play down just how well he's been playing for us.

Our alternatives in the summer are to go and buy an elite goalkeeper. Could we entice away someone like a Lloris? I highly doubt it. Or we get a prospect. As indicated I like Butland, there are likes like Horn or Leno from Germany. However having seen Karuis and Feiler similarly highly rated from Germany struggle to adapt are they significantly better than Joel? Likewise Butland post injury, is he that much better than Joel?

I don't wax lyrical over goalkeepers. I am a tough judge. The only one I've seen for us better than Joel was Martyn (I only got the end of Southall).

He wasn't, it's just an urban myth.

People need to calm it down with this over hyping, it's getting to RAWK levels of delusion.

He has got a lucky break with Steklenburg getting injured and took his chance and done well. Steklenburg was brought in as backup, Robles would have been shipped out if we had bought a new number one.

Think he needs a longer run of games before comparing him to Joe Hart. Joe Hart has more caps than Robles has started first team games in his career.

Let's be patient and give him until the end of the season and see how he gets on before calling him the new Southall or one of the top 3 keepers in the premiership as some have said on here.

He wasn't, it's just an urban myth.

People need to calm it down with this over hyping, it's getting to RAWK levels of delusion.

He has got a lucky break with Steklenburg getting injured and took his chance and done well. Steklenburg was brought in as backup, Robles would have been shipped out if we had bought a new number one.

Think he needs a longer run of games before comparing him to Joe Hart. Joe Hart has more caps than Robles has started first team games in his career.

Let's be patient and give him until the end of the season and see how he gets on before calling him the new Southall or one of the top 3 keepers in the premiership as some have said on here.

Is that so mate? I read he was but if thats not the case I will happily take it back.

I agree with you we need to be careful of falling to Rawk levels of delusion. The sample size we are discussing is small so we need to see it reproduced over the next 13 games. He would probably have left had we got a number 1 in, but I suspect that would have been a decision that we could have regretted.

Do you think his performances have been good enough since he got his run mate? And secondly, what more would he have to do to start winning you over to the position that we don't need to get a new number 1?

Stekelenburg was brought in by Koeman as his no. 1 ...for this season anyway.

For Robles to be able to displace the no. 1 keeper and apparently change the mind of somebody like Koeman suggests that he must be really impressing him. To sign a keeper that is regarded as elite is probably getting rid of 25m-30m of whatever our budget is. I think that unless Robles has a poor run in to the end of the season then he will start next season as our first choice ...and deservedly so.

Is that so mate? I read he was but if thats not the case I will happily take it back.

I agree with you we need to be careful of falling to Rawk levels of delusion. The sample size we are discussing is small so we need to see it reproduced over the next 13 games. He would probably have left had we got a number 1 in, but I suspect that would have been a decision that we could have regretted.

Do you think his performances have been good enough since he got his run mate? And secondly, what more would he have to do to start winning you over to the position that we don't need to get a new number 1?

He needs a longer run of games to convince me, I still remember his Krasnodar game.

He's done well, but we need to give him more time. Steklenburg after a few games was called world class than after a few dodgy moments he was crap again. The same could happen with Robles and the fans would turn on him in a flash.

He needs a longer run of games to convince me, I still remember his Krasnodar game.

He's done well, but we need to give him more time. Steklenburg after a few games was called world class than after a few dodgy moments he was crap again. The same could happen with Robles and the fans would turn on him in a flash.

Jesus wept man.

Stekelenburg was brought in by Koeman as his no. 1 ...for this season anyway.

For Robles to be able to displace the no. 1 keeper and apparently change the mind of somebody like Koeman suggests that he must be really impressing him. To sign a keeper that is regarded as elite is probably getting rid of 25m-30m of whatever our budget is. I think that unless Robles has a poor run in to the end of the season then he will start next season as our first choice ...and deservedly so.
I actually think he was brought in to be number 2,as he didnt trust Joel in training in pre season etc,and to get that big number 1 name he wanted,but he didnt get the no1 he wanted and Stekelenburg ended the number 1,Joel has improved quite a lot and has stoped that little messing around in his area etc and trying to pass to the back 4 when theres like 3 oppo players around the 18 yard area

Think that was his first start for us, first memories last a while. He also had a few other nightmare games as well during that time.

That's why I'm waiting to see how he gets on till the end of the season.

He started a few in 2013/14 season as well and looked wobbly, but that was ages ago and he's clearly improved since then so why worry about it?

The change in goalkeeper coach may have improved his form also. Martinez's coaching team was not top rate, every player declined under him towards the end. Perhaps just a bit of confidence and new coaching has brought him up a level rather than knowing he has the odd cup game to impress and every fan is watching him nervously.

Tbh I can't remember a young keeper coming into the league and not looking hesitant initially. De Gea, Courtois, even as far back as Lehman, Howard, Barthez, all looked shaky initially. Cech is probably the only one I can remember who just came in and started bossing it from his first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back