Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit stupid tbh, you're comparing Everton signings to Wigan signings, of course Everton's will be better. Stones, for example, was pursued by both Moyes and Martinez but chose Moyes because he preferred a move to Everton, and I'm sure that's not the only time Wigan lost out on a signing to a bigger club.

While I agree with that to an extent, the problem is even for the level Wigan were at, Martinez's defensive signings were arguably terrible.

Look at it this way - Coleman £60k from an obscure team, Stones for a few million, Garbutt on a nominal fee, Lescott from the Championship etc. These are all the types of players Martinez could have reasonably signed for Wigan, yet didn't. Far from it in fact.

He deservedly has many question marks over his transfer market acumen for defensive players - and indeed whether he can set up a team to defend at all. Last season we were like a sieve at times, and that Arsenal game didn't inspire me with confidence that that's going to change any time soon.

While I agree with that to an extent, the problem is even for the level Wigan were at, Martinez's defensive signings were arguably terrible.

Look at it this way - Coleman £60k from an obscure team, Stones for a few million, Garbutt on a nominal fee, Lescott from the Championship etc. These are all the types of players Martinez could have reasonably signed for Wigan, yet didn't. Far from it in fact.

He deservedly has many question marks over his transfer market acumen for defensive players - and indeed whether he can set up a team to defend at all. Last season we were like a sieve at times, and that Arsenal game didn't inspire me with confidence that that's going to change any time soon.

Saying that though, Martinez did try and sign Stones for Wigan, but Stones decided to join us.

Showing your ignorance there.

"Far from it in fact"

Indeed. He signed no defender of note who came close to being considered a decent signing - even their club captain he brought in was utter gash.

Moyes brought in players for low fees or from obscure locations and they turned out to be gems. Martinez didn't. The stature of the club barely matters with such players - one manager signed Seamus Coleman; the other Gary Caldwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back