Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about he completes a season first before we start claiming he's nailed on for Barcelona. This time last year Lukaku looked on course to be the best striker in the League while Barkley had a £50m pricetag on his head. Stones is very good but he's yet to show he's as good as the likes of Ferdinand, Terry & Campbell were at the same age.

I really don't understand why English build up their players so much only to knock them back down when they fail to live up to those lofty expectations. I remember Ferguson comparing Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards a few years ago & claimed he'd be their greatest ever player.

Stones is very good on the ball & is an cultured passer of the ball but so is David Luiz who's probably the most technically gifted defender in Europe. Yet he's ridiculed by everyone. Stones is yet to show over the course of an entire season he's a great defender. Some of these predictions seem way too premature & outrageous to me.

As it stands we need minimum one half decent centre back.

Sell Stones and it's minimum 2. Add the other players we clearly need (decent striker the fabled playmaker) and that's pretty much the money gone.

It's pointless for us to sell.

How about he completes a season first before we start claiming he's nailed on for Barcelona. This time last year Lukaku looked on course to be the best striker in the League while Barkley had a £50m pricetag on his head. Stones is very good but he's yet to show he's as good as the likes of Ferdinand, Terry & Campbell were at the same age.

I really don't understand why English build up their players so much only to knock them back down when they fail to live up to those lofty expectations. I remember Ferguson comparing Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards a few years ago & claimed he'd be their greatest ever player.

Stones is very good on the ball & is an cultured passer of the ball but so is David Luiz who's probably the most technically gifted defender in Europe. Yet he's ridiculed by everyone. Stones is yet to show over the course of an entire season he's a great defender. Some of these predictions seem way too premature & outrageous to me.

Barca wanted him last Summer.
We said no, but you're an idiot if you dont think they'll monitor his progress and development.

You did well right up to the David Luiz bit.....

I actually agree with Mourinho now, the club need to state NOW that the player is not for sale at any price and close the matter completely, if only for the sake of the sanity of some on here!

I fear they will not though, as already said, every player has their price and over 30m for a defender is something a club like Everton will most certainly be interested in.

The truth is he is not a 34m player, he was responsible for several goals last season - if 34m is the offer id take it and buy 2 world class internationals with the proceeds

If 34m is going to get you a young defender who's at fault for several goals it certainly isn't going to get you two world class players.

Stop playing his ability down. He's good. He's going to get better. Can he be the best? If he continues like this, sure. Would you sell the best for £34m? (Keep in mind Ferdinand went for £31m over ten years ago).

Makes more sense to wait 12 months, another year of first team football, the euros and the new tv deal. His value will be even greater.

Not to mention i doubt we'll have suitable replacements scouted and lined up, and selling teams will bump their prices up when selling to us.

We could end up with a couple of mediocre, overpriced players being brought in with the money

Would rather see stones stay, but like a few others have said he's pretty much gone.
It annoys the hell out of me and there is very little we can do.
I'm not looking forward to this season and I have a horrible feeling things are not going to go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back