Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if it was £30m with a season long loan to us.

Don't know why anyone would want him to be loaned back to us. It's so small time, and it's basically developing a player for them, we play him every week, he's worth even more at the end of next season but we get no benefit from it because we already sold him for less the summer before.

Where would that leave us with 2 weeks to go till the season starts and a player down?

That's possible the worse post on this.
It would show the board up, it would prove to the nation that Evertonians aren't grateful for having a Evertonian as a chairman.

Oh and Marrtinez would be gone.

Martinez has to take a large part of the blame for this, has sat around twiddling his thumbs whilst other clubs around us make ambitious signings which could have convinced some of the lads that we can compete at the top. Players like Cabaye, Wijnaldum, Payet, Mitrovic, Ayew all could have massively improved the club whilst we champion the board for getting in a under 21 player who won't feature for the first team, an average squad player on a free and an inconsistent (albeit with big potential) 21 year old who we had 2 seasons ago for a small fee.

Still time to go of course but after last season it was clear we needed to get rid of the deadwood and bring in 2-3 quality additions (the most important being a playmaker) but so far we look absolutely clueless in the market.
Its was the same under moyes, will be the same under who ever comes in the future. Its not down to the managers its down to the board giving no money

What if it was £30m with a season long loan to us.

Would confirm is as a small time club completely. If the lad wants out why should we solve Chelsea's problem of how to give him first team football before the euros. Meanwhile any replacement we got would be behind Stones. If he goes it should be for pure hard cash upfront.

I don't know what I'd do with your bollox mate but I'd accept that bet. Short term improvement? Possibly. Longterm? Very doubtful.

Also what does rebuilding mean? We find another great player to sell at 21 years old? How does one rebuild when you sell all of your best assets? When does it end? When do we actually consider this revolutionary tactic: keeping your best players so they play for your team rather than a different team.

We'll need 10-15m to replace Stones. So then what? We spend 20m. We sell the greatest English defensive prospect in a decade in order to spend approx as much as Newcastle will in this window? It's utterly ludicrous that anyone is even entertaining it as an idea without using the word "horrifying" in front of "idea."

Good questions. Rebuilding is probably the wrong word, but if he's sold, he'll be replaced. Clearly we won't get someone else of the same caliber. But it's not the end of the world. When Mountfield was replaced by Dave Watson, we all thought we couldn't replace someone who scored 14 goals in a season, but we did. My sentiment is it will be interesting to see how this plays out. An offer in excess of 30mil needs to be considered.

It would leave us in disarray and scrambling round for a manager and in danger of an awful season. It would be a ridiculous idea.
As things stand, with your head and not heart, what type of season are you expecting? Do you expect us to close the gap on the 4 teams who finished directly above us, give ours and their business so far. Them teams being palace, Swansea, Stoke and Southampton?

My post was partly a joke but I am sick of this national press idea that we have a great board.

As things stand, with your head and not heart, what type of season are you expecting? Do you expect us to close the gap on the 4 teams who finished directly above us, give ours and their business so far. Them teams being palace, Swansea, Stoke and Southampton?

My post was partly a joke but I am sick of this national press idea that we have a great board.
I know I have had a rant over this thread , but lets hope The EFC board, and Chairman are treating Chelsea with the contempt they deserve, ie let them stamp their feet try to use their muscle etc - by just ignoring them? -I hope so!

...John Cross (journalist) was doing the newspaper review on Talksport yesterday and covered the Stones articles. He said Everton are a brilliantly run club who always get best monies for their talented youngsters.

Does anyone else suspect that kenwright is playing a blinder here, just keeping quiet, dignified, statesmanlike etc ?

Jose and Abramovic won't be used to negotiating at this level, they'll be panicking, questioning what this means, questioning themselves etc. Finally at the appropriate time, Bill will stand proud, erect, unashamed in full view of the watching world to tell them all that Everton are not a selling club, not under his watch, and that Peter Johnson is long gone.

At that point Chelsea will either fold or pay £75M to avoid utter humiliation.

@nil satis
@bourneblue
@Steve Wigan
@bizzaro

Well the gap hardly gargantuan after one poor season, this time last summer when Southampton were losing players left right and centre do you think their fans expected to do so well? Anything can happen and just because we've had our first backwards step for a long time doesn't mean we've been left behind by the likes of Palace, Swansea...

It was one season, this is a new coming season and we've still got a squad full of good players. Whether or not you have faith in the board surely you can see it was a hiccup last season after they backed the manager in the market to provide the correct funds for a the squad, there's no reason not to expect them to do the same again this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back