John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papers now doing stories on Chelsea's future line ups including Stones in them. Jesus wept, the media intensity in this has been staggering.

Clearly Martinez saying on more than one occasion we don't want to sell has fallen on deaf ears.

I honestly can't remember a media drive so intense and so intent on making sure a player moves.

I just hope he's still an Everton player come September 2nd.

whats gonna be funny on sep 2nd is all the rewritten history. expect: Chelsea stand firm against inflated prices of English players, Mourinho decides to put faith in Terry, Everton gamble fails as they get greedy on price, Mourinho decides to play waiting game with Stones, Corbyn will destroy the Labour Party declares Chelsea manager as transfer falls apart

whats gonna be funny on sep 2nd is all the rewritten history. expect: Chelsea stand firm against inflated prices of English players, Mourinho decides to put faith in Terry, Everton gamble fails as they get greedy on price, Mourinho decides to play waiting game with Stones, Corbyn will destroy the Labour Party declares Chelsea manager as transfer falls apart

61b0e77d166fe87162981f0dde9410a543f57dcc68e5399a0c8137a10dc5682a.jpg

I think Stones is great full stop but if his head is turned I'd like to see us put a marker down to Chelsea and demand Oscar plus £25m.

Seriously if we're in a position where this deal is being pushed for by Stones then I'd dearly hope we'd try and get someone like Oscar. He'd be that magic no.10 we need.

I was told some weeks ago that Geri was a major sweetener from Barca on Stones.
Maybe not guaranteed transfer but very much keep us in the picture.

How would that work mate and what would they gain ? Without the transfer would we not tell them if they'd ask to be kept informed and we received an offer , what about the agent would we ask him not to speak to other clubs and take a better deal as we've established a relationship with Barca ?

It's in clubs interests to drive up the price by generating interest if a player is in demand and leaving and it's in a player's interest to go to the best overall financial package or at least consider it as part of his decision process. So what do clubs get out of this 'first option' type stuff ?

Already started. Spurs with Bale and the Sh*te with the Rat is possibly the best thing that's happened for "smaller" clubs in recent years.
The fees received by those two clubs were records for them, and world record in Bales case, and the players actually ended up at the two biggest clubs in the land at present, instead of a declining United and an also ran Arsenal.

Thing is though, they still left.

Best way I tried to understand and explain to my mate at work was :

If I had a shop and an item in it was worth £50, but in a years time it would only be worth £30 then it makes sense to sell it now. As a business is all about making profit.

The difference with the Everton situation is that it doesn't matter if John Stones value declines due to the transfer market and other players becoming available, as his value to Everton is not what he's worth as a player to sell, but rather the fact that he is an ace young player and great defender. We get our value from him playing well.

Don't know if I'm talking sense or not but I'm definitely trying to convince myself..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back