John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
His lack of handing in a transfer request to force the move, ala Lescott & Fellaini, also speaks volumes.

Baines said nothing and stayed.

There's no reason for Stones to say anything. What happens if he says his peace, then the club accepts a £50m bid for him? He'd be in a bad position.

Any quotes from Stones would play right into Chelsea's hands as they would use the media to turn it around to suit them...silence will only frustrate them even more and I am quite enjoying them being frustrated

Better than the current champions managed by a bloke rated by many as the top manager in Europe ?

If you don't use medals or money what's your criteria for choosing a club ?

I don't want the lad to go but if I was at Everton with no emotional
Connection I'd be thinking long and hard about the prospect .

I think there are very good reasons for why Stones should stay. Expectations are very different at a club like Chelsea, and I'm not sure a 21 year old centre half needs that kind of pressure. Cahill is one of the best defenders in the league and Chelsea fans routinely slag him off for occasional errors. If Stones misses a challenge like he did against Watford in the Champions League, he's gone and Chelsea will spend another 40m replacing him because the money is not an issue for them. Mourinho benched Terry at halftime, and there is already buzz about whether or not one of Chelsea's best players last season is "passed it." Stones needs to play week-in, week-out at this stage, he doesn't need a manic and fickle prima dona who shows little to no loyalty to players. Mourinho is tactically one of the best managers in the world, but that doesn't mean its the best career decision for a young player to play under him.

He's also playing in a system that suits his style of play. I'm sure he will have license to bring the ball up the field for Chelsea as well, they would probably use him similarly to how they used David Luiz, but there's no guarantee he'll gel with his teammates quite the same way. At some point, any ambitious player will need to take this risk, but Stones is young enough that there's no urgency.

I think there are very good reasons for why Stones should stay. Expectations are very different at a club like Chelsea, and I'm not sure a 21 year old centre half needs that kind of pressure. Cahill is one of the best defenders in the league and Chelsea fans routinely [Poor language removed] him off for occasional errors. If Stones misses a challenge like he did against Watford in the Champions League, he's gone and Chelsea will spend another 40m replacing him because the money is not an issue for them. Mourinho benched Terry at halftime, and there is already buzz about whether or not one of Chelsea's best players last season is "passed it." Stones needs to play week-in, week-out at this stage, he doesn't need a manic and fickle prima dona who shows little to no loyalty to players. Mourinho is tactically one of the best managers in the world, but that doesn't mean its the best career decision for a young player to play under him.

He's also playing in a system that suits his style of play. I'm sure he will have license to bring the ball up the field for Chelsea as well, they would probably use him similarly to how they used David Luiz, but there's no guarantee he'll gel with his teammates quite the same way. At some point, any ambitious player will need to take this risk, but Stones is young enough that there's no urgency.

I get all that but then players are ambitious and think they'll fit in wherever surely . Not moving coz you might not gel doesn't seem that valid a reason to me. I don't think mourinho , ruthless as he is , would spend £40m and sell him after one mistake and it'd seem unlikely he'd generate the kind of loyalty he has done at the majority of his clubs if he operated in such a manner .

Like I say I don't want him to go but if you were him who would you "wait for" ? A transitional Man U with a manager that is actually fairly unpopular , city where nobody knows who'll be in charge and have just bought another centre half and haven't exactly set the champions league on fire or arsenal for the 4th place trophy or maybe 3rd of your lucky . I can see a reason to go to any of them of I'm honest but Chelsea would certainly be a tempting offer .

Better than the current champions managed by a bloke rated by many as the top manager in Europe ?

If you don't use medals or money what's your criteria for choosing a club ?

I don't want the lad to go but if I was at Everton with no emotional
Connection I'd be thinking long and hard about the prospect .
i seriously hope he has an emotional connection. strange kind of footballer who would turn up week in, week out not caring how his team is doing. criteria I would use if choosing a job would be; who I worked with, security, do I enjoythe work. Money is after that but there would have to be a monumental gap to overide the other issues. If I was doing a job that meant I was well off for life then the other things are the only things that would matter. Chelsea with a moody manager who doesn't stick around, a captain who has been pulled up for abusing fellow professionals and a club that puts money ahead of nurturing players. No brainer. I don't go there. Footballers have different attitudes probably but John has put this on his facebook page so I have heard

I hope stones stays but if we do end up losing him we need to sell him as soon as possible, we won't have time to spend the money if it gets left to late. Unless that's what kenwright is planning. I hope this isn't the case

I get all that but then players are ambitious and think they'll fit in wherever surely . Not moving coz you might not gel doesn't seem that valid a reason to me. I don't think mourinho , ruthless as he is , would spend £40m and sell him after one mistake and it'd seem unlikely he'd generate the kind of loyalty he has done at the majority of his clubs if he operated in such a manner .

Like I say I don't want him to go but if you were him who would you "wait for" ? A transitional Man U with a manager that is actually fairly unpopular , city where nobody knows who'll be in charge and have just bought another centre half and haven't exactly set the champions league on fire or arsenal for the 4th place trophy or maybe 3rd of your lucky . I can see a reason to go to any of them of I'm honest but Chelsea would certainly be a tempting offer .
could also go outside the prem, he was apparently on barca's list when they bought vermealen last summer. It's probably like Baines with UTD. He's happy here but if we decided to sell he'd be fine with moving as well

His lack of handing in a transfer request to force the move, ala Lescott & Fellaini, also speaks volumes.

Baines said nothing and stayed.

There's no reason for Stones to say anything. What happens if he says his peace, then the club accepts a £50m bid for him? He'd be in a bad position.

Fellani never once pushed or came out asking for a move like Lescott. His transfer request was put in a few hours before the window closed and has been reported we asked him to do it. So we could save not paying him a fee of the transfer, fair play to him.

i seriously hope he has an emotional connection. strange kind of footballer who would turn up week in, week out not caring how his team is doing. criteria I would use if choosing a job would be; who I worked with, security, do I enjoythe work. Money is after that but there would have to be a monumental gap to overide the other issues. If I was doing a job that meant I was well off for life then the other things are the only things that would matter. Chelsea with a moody manager who doesn't stick around, a captain who has been pulled up for abusing fellow professionals and a club that puts money ahead of nurturing players. No brainer. I don't go there. Footballers have different attitudes probably but John has put this on his facebook page so I have heard

I meant emotional connection as in he's not a boyhood blue and hasn't been here too long.

A moody successful manager , one of the most successful in world football and a captain who has until recently at least been consistently one of the best players in the country .

I'm sure people could easily talk about our manager , a first team coach who's been to prison and had his own issues , teammates being arrested for drink driving but it'd seem a bit of a waste of time to be honest . I'm an evertonian and I love this club but john stones may well not do so I'd assume the appeal of Chelsea to be strong . The player has behaved considerably better than at least one boyhood blue I can think of and i certainly hope he stays as our club is certainly stronger with him here but I do understand why a move to another club may interest him .

"They call her Natasha when she looks like Elsie"

Elvis was positively prophetic when he penned that line half a lifetime ago.

Strip away all the bling and ersatz glamour from this club and you will find its angry, snarling heart still beating.

My dear arl grannie, bless her Irish heart, used to have a saying when talking about scallies after they made a few quid.....by fair means it foul, but mostly foul.

"You can take the people out of the slums......but you cannot take the slums out of the people".

That saying really applies to Natasha F.C.

I meant emotional connection as in he's not a boyhood blue and hasn't been here too long.

A moody successful manager , one of the most successful in world football and a captain who has until recently at least been consistently one of the best players in the country .

I'm sure people could easily talk about our manager , a first team coach who's been to prison and had his own issues , teammates being arrested for drink driving but it'd seem a bit of a waste of time to be honest . I'm an evertonian and I love this club but john stones may well not do so I'd assume the appeal of Chelsea to be strong . The player has behaved considerably better than at least one boyhood blue I can think of and i certainly hope he stays as our club is certainly stronger with him here but I do understand why a move to another club may interest him .
boyhood blues include; Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Wayne Rooney, Cilla. There emotional connections changed with their careers. Being here, being loved by the fans, feeling part of the spirit..connection comes from that. Stones seems well on the way to having that connection. All guesswork but his personality seems at odds with the way Chelsea go about things. There are big clubs who seem to inspire a real emotional connection from their players. I just don't think Chelsea are strong in that department.

"They call her Natasha when she looks like Elsie"

Elvis was positively prophetic when he penned that line half a lifetime ago.

Strip away all the bling and ersatz glamour from this club and you will find its angry, snarling heart still beating.

My dear arl grannie, bless her Irish heart, used to have a saying when talking about scallies after they made a few quid.....by fair means it foul, but mostly foul.

"You can take the people out of the slums......but you cannot take the slums out of the people".

That saying really applies to Natasha F.C.
Natasha F.C. brilliant. still remember the first time I heard a mum on Park Road screaming; 'Chelsea, get 'ere.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back