John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't read the rest as hidden behind paywall
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4533230.ece
Chelsea will return to Everton with a fourth offer for John Stones, the England defender, before the close of the transfer window after completing the £21.2 million capture of Pedro, the Spain forward, from Barcelona yesterday.

Chelsea go forth in bid for John Stones
Chelsea will return to Everton with a fourth offer for John Stones, the England defender, before the close of the transfer window after completing the £21.2 million capture of Pedro, the Spain forward, from Barcelona yesterday.

Pedro — who had been expected to move to Manchester United as recently as Monday — joined his new team-mates for training at the club’s base at Cobham yesterday morning after undergoing a medical and agreeing personal terms on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old is expected to be included in José Mourinho’s squad for Sunday’s Barclays Premier League game away to West Bromwich Albion.

Pedro’s arrival came less than 48 hours after that of Baba Rahman, the left back drafted in from Augsburg, the German club, proof of the swift response from both Mourinho and Chelsea’s hierarchy to the champions’ stuttering start to the season. The club’s manager is believed to have requested three new signings in the aftermath of the 3-0 defeat at Manchester City, which left his team with one point from their opening two games.

The club’s hopes of making Stones the third remain undimmed despite Everton’s continuing insistence that the 21-year-old will not be sold at any price. Chelsea have had three offers — for £20 million, £26 million and, on Monday, £30 million — turned down by their Premier League rivals.

They will make at least one more bid, though, breaking the British transfer record for a defender — the £31.9 million Manchester City paid for Eliaquim Mangala last summer — and it is thought that they are prepared, if necessary, to pursue their interest right to the close of the transfer window on September 1.

The club are adamant that they require a young, English central defender to help ease the burden on John Terry. Mourinho removed his captain for the first time in a league game during that defeat at the Etihad Stadium, admitting that he felt the 34-year-old was struggling with Sergio Agüero’s pace and suggesting that his defence looked uncharacteristically “fragile”. Stones fits that bill perfectly and Chelsea are not examining any alternatives for their defence.

Their pursuit of Stones has not been helped by the player’s refusal to push for a move — despite Mourinho and Terry, as well as Gary Cahill, urging him to consider a switch to Stamford Bridge to continue his career — and that also is not likely to change. Stones and his representatives remain calm about the situation, although they are aware that it could drag on for another fortnight.

Although Everton’s public stance is one of outright defiance, the club have at least prepared for the possibility of his departure. Roberto Martínez, their manager, has identified Virgil van Dijk, the Celtic defender, as his preferred replacement should Stones leave, but any move would have to wait until the Scottish champions discover whether they qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

If they are knocked out by Malmo in Sweden next week — Celtic lead 3-2 after the first leg — the Dutchman is likely to ask to be sold. Chelsea will hope it is at that point that Everton’s refusal to countenance selling Stones, a player regarded by Martínez as one of his crown jewels, softens a little.

Pedro, meanwhile, has set his sights on continuing his trophy-laden career in England.

The winger won three Champions League titles and five Spanish championships in a decade at the Nou Camp, and his final goal for the club was the winner in this year’s European Super Cup ten days ago.

“I am very happy to be here,” he said of his move to Chelsea. “I am very excited about starting my adventure at Chelsea and I am here to keep winning titles. Thanks to the club and the supporters for giving me the opportunity to put the blue shirt on.”

The club’s hopes of making Stones the third remain undimmed despite Everton’s continuing insistence that the 21-year-old will not be sold at any price. Chelsea have had three offers — for £20 million, £26 million and, on Monday, £30 million — turned down by their Premier League rivals.

They will make at least one more bid, though, breaking the British transfer record for a defender — the £31.9 million Manchester City paid for Eliaquim Mangala last summer — and it is thought that they are prepared, if necessary, to pursue their interest right to the close of the transfer window on September 1.

The club are adamant that they require a young, English central defender to help ease the burden on John Terry. Mourinho removed his captain for the first time in a league game during that defeat at the Etihad Stadium, admitting that he felt the 34-year-old was struggling with Sergio Agüero’s pace and suggesting that his defence looked uncharacteristically “fragile”. Stones fits that bill perfectly and Chelsea are not examining any alternatives for their defence.

Their pursuit of Stones has not been helped by the player’s refusal to push for a move — despite Mourinho and Terry, as well as Gary Cahill, urging him to consider a switch to Stamford Bridge to continue his career — and that also is not likely to change. Stones and his representatives remain calm about the situation, although they are aware that it could drag on for another fortnight.

Although Everton’s public stance is one of outright defiance, the club have at least prepared for the possibility of his departure. Roberto Martínez, their manager, has identified Virgil van Dijk, the Celtic defender, as his preferred replacement should Stones leave, but any move would have to wait until the Scottish champions discover whether they qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

If they are knocked out by Malmo in Sweden next week — Celtic lead 3-2 after the first leg — the Dutchman is likely to ask to be sold. Chelsea will hope it is at that point that Everton’s refusal to countenance selling Stones, a player regarded by Martínez as one of his crown jewels, softens a little.

Pedro, meanwhile, has set his sights on continuing his trophy-laden career in England.

The winger won three Champions League titles and five Spanish championships in a decade at the Nou Camp, and his final goal for the club was the winner in this year’s European Super Cup ten days ago.

“I am very happy to be here,” he said of his move to Chelsea. “I am very excited about starting my adventure at Chelsea and I am here to keep winning titles. Thanks to the club and the supporters for giving me the opportunity to put the blue shirt on.”
Cheers for the full link.

So if Rory Smith it correct Stones won't push for a move and so it is just whether Chelsea bid the "offer you can't refuse" amount for the board - whatever that number is.

btw have heard Rory state on a few podcasts that he thinks Stones is better staying at Everton so at least he isn't one of the journalists who seem overeager to market John for us.

That club never has been, isn't now, never will be a patch on Everton Football Club and I think Stones knows he's doing absolutely fine with us and on track for whatever path he chooses to take ( which I believe will be with us for the next 2 years )

Thats the amount of trophies Chelsea have won since we last did.

Theres only so long we can dismiss them as rent boys mate.

Pedro — who had been expected to move to Manchester United as recently as Monday — joined his new team-mates for training at the club’s base at Cobham yesterday morning after undergoing a medical and agreeing personal terms on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old is expected to be included in José Mourinho’s squad for Sunday’s Barclays Premier League game away to West Bromwich Albion.

Pedro’s arrival came less than 48 hours after that of Baba Rahman, the left back drafted in from Augsburg, the German club, proof of the swift response from both Mourinho and Chelsea’s hierarchy to the champions’ stuttering start to the season. The club’s manager is believed to have requested three new signings in the aftermath of the 3-0 defeat at Manchester City, which left his team with one point from their opening two games.

Im a firm believer of 'if you want this player so much, come get him'. My PROBLEM is that every team has a price. But Chelsea has been pretty fn embarrassing with this. Every time they decide to screw around the 'come get me' price should go up by 10m. Which means Stones should be in the 60m range by this point.

So screw Chelsea, come back wiht another offer. I hope you miss Champions League and finish 1st in the Fair Play league.

Chelsea really have been total a..holes over this. It's not as if they can't try anywhere else for loads of other very good centre-halves.

It's no wonder the likes of us and Southampton can't make the next step when we get asset stripped (or threatened to be) all the time.

Chelsea really have been total a..holes over this. It's not as if they can't try anywhere else for loads of other very good centre-halves.

It's no wonder the likes of us and Southampton can't make the next step when we get asset stripped (or threatened to be) all the time.

Theres a reason we are refusing to sell, even at 30m+ plus, players like John Stones arent just anywhere, add the fact that hes English and hes a very rare player, I mean, name another English 21 year CB that is as good?

This includes 2 FA cup, one League Cup and one Cup Winners Cup before Abramovich came in with all his coin.

Not quite sure how this is relevant to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back