John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact he is unaware of any potential transfer request is not the rebuttal we all wanted to here. As a manager it should be simply yes or no.

It's not even that he's unaware - not bothered about that. It's that it shouldn't be a factor. His body language was all wrong. Prior to this press conference, was fairly certain he'd stay. Now I'd be amazed if he isn't gone inside the next few days.

Disgusting if so.

Martinez hasn't backtracked.

9.19amMartinez is probed further on the Stones situation, but insists: "There is not a situation, you want to go on and on and on, I can understand. I've said all along, it's not healthy while you have important games when the transfer window is open. The discussion is wrong, we should be talking about Sunday, and the fantastic Goodison atmosphere ahead of facing one of the best team in Europe."

9.17amAttention quickly turns to John Stones, but the manager insists: "I'm not aware of any transfer request. Any individual matter is not the important issue with City ahead. John will be in the matchday squad. I have no problem picking John."

Also, it should be noted that Keown left to move back down south as his wife couldn't settle here if I remember correctly, as opposed to chasing cash.

Always thought we should've kept him.

I remember a story from Keown saying he was loving it at Goodison and was in good form and one day at training at Bellefield he was summoned into Kendalls office.

He thought it was to discuss a new contract only to be told Arsenal had made an offer and Everton had accepted it.

It was on football focus or something or maybe the Echo a couple of years ago. He genuinely sounded like he would have stayed and was happy so I think that's why he has a soft spot for us still.

Martinez hasn't backtracked.

9.19amMartinez is probed further on the Stones situation, but insists: "There is not a situation, you want to go on and on and on, I can understand. I've said all along, it's not healthy while you have important games when the transfer window is open. The discussion is wrong, we should be talking about Sunday, and the fantastic Goodison atmosphere ahead of facing one of the best team in Europe."

9.17amAttention quickly turns to John Stones, but the manager insists: "I'm not aware of any transfer request. Any individual matter is not the important issue with City ahead. John will be in the matchday squad. I have no problem picking John."

That is a backtrack from "he's not for sale and that's the end of it" mate.

Refused to rule it out, just went with some airy nonsense to avoid the question.

That is a backtrack from "he's not for sale and that's the end of it" mate.

Refused to rule it out, just went with some airy nonsense to avoid the question.

He didn't refuse to rule it out. When asked about the situation, he just said in a nutshell 'there isn't a situation'

Then when asked about a transfer request 'I know nothing about that'

It's the same as it's always been in my eyes. Not for sale, but we all know if a very hefty bid comes in, then it changes things. Unfortunately pretty much any player has a price in football.

9.25am After requesting to talk about the match rather than John Stones, Martinez gets his way as he's asked about Manuel Pellegrini's side, and he says: "I think Man City are a very good side, first and foremost. We have seen a team that is refreshed. They've added new faces, they're kept the core of the team that wont he league two years ago but they're showing understanding and freshness. They are in a good moment, two 3-0 wins against very good opposition. They signs are that we have to be at our best, but we're looking forward to getting back to Goodison."

Journalists trying to push the Stones to Chelsea agenda and Martinez bats them away. 'There is no situation'.

He didn't refuse to rule it out. When asked about the situation, he just said in a nutshell 'there isn't a situation'

Then when asked about a transfer request 'I know nothing about that'

It's the same as it's always been in my eyes. Not for sale, but we all know if a very hefty bid comes in, then it changes things. Unfortunately pretty much any player has a price in football.

He could have been a lot stronger on it if he wanted to be, like he was last week. This was a backtrack from his wording last week.

I hope I'm wrong, but that to me looked like a manager who was resigned to losing the player and was choosing his words carefully.

He could have been a lot stronger on it if he wanted to be, like he was last week. This was a backtrack from his wording last week.

I hope I'm wrong, but that to me looked like a manager who was resigned to losing the player and was choosing his words carefully.

You may be right Tubey, I saw a manager who was not willing to discuss it over and over again, with City on the horizon.

Fingers crossed.

We are under no pressure to sell. None at all. We hang on until bids stop coming in (and keep only our 2nd senior CB) OR we wait for silly money of £50m plus. To do otherwise is to sacrifice sound business acumen on the altar of a fast buck.

You may be right Tubey, I saw a manager who was not willing to discuss it over and over again, with City on the horizon.

Fingers crossed.

... and the discussion would have been a lot less intensive if he'd have simply said "he's not for sale and that's the end of it".

I guess we'll see, but I'm fully expecting an increase in volume from the media after that, and I sadly can't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back