John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and the discussion would have been a lot less intensive if he'd have simply said "he's not for sale and that's the end of it".

I guess we'll see, but I'm fully expecting an increase in volume from the media after that, and I sadly can't blame them.

I do concur, he could of said 'he's not for sale' rather then saying 'there is no situation', but it still didn't say to me he's going, not just yet anyway.

Watch the media & Chelsea fans spin what he has said, things like :

" Why does he not just say 'He has NOT put a request in "

" This just implies that Martinez is in the dark "

I do concur, he could of said 'he's not for sale' rather then saying 'there is no situation', but it still didn't say to me he's going, not just yet anyway.
do we know if a question was asked that could lead to a 'no sale' answer.If it was something like: 'can you tell us about the John Stones situation as there are reports he will hand in a transfer request?', then what can you say. Basically they have said he is going to hand a request in, not that he has, which can be shot down straight away. ANd itf they didn't ask what price he will accept then he can't say 'No sale'. Press playing games and little he can say to stop it.

... and the discussion would have been a lot less intensive if he'd have simply said "he's not for sale and that's the end of it".

I guess we'll see, but I'm fully expecting an increase in volume from the media after that, and I sadly can't blame them.
This has already been issued to Chelsea.

Why should Everton repeat this over and over again?

Do we need reassurance every single day? Are we that insecure?

This came about because a certain "news" paper reported he's thrown a transfer request in;

To recap; it's been stated before that he's not for sale, and there has been no transfer request. For me that's clear.

do we know if a question was asked that could lead to a 'no sale' answer.If it was something like: 'can you tell us about the John Stones situation as there are reports he will hand in a transfer request?', then what can you say. Basically they have said he is going to hand a request in, not that he has, which can be shot down straight away. ANd itf they didn't ask what price he will accept then he can't say 'No sale'. Press playing games and little he can say to stop it.

They asked him about the transfer request so to me saying "he's not for sale" wouldn't have made any sense.

This came about because a certain "news" paper reported he's thrown a transfer request in;

To recap; it's been stated before that he's not for sale, and there has been no transfer request. For me that's clear.

Lock the thread Groucho, we need time to calm down.

I am at work so I haven't seen the press conference.
The manager can only speak for Everton. He cannot speak for John Stones or his agent. He cannot say that there won't be a transfer request as that is not in his control.

The manager is trying to keep the focus on football rather than talking about a transfer that may or may not happen.

If there is a transfer request then we take a page out of our neighbours copy(who played a blinder with Saurez and Sterling). We say that we want to keep the player and will only sell at a named price.
The player is under contract and has four years to go, Chelsea can pay up or walk away.
John Stones cannot afford to be playing reserve football for Everton and be third choice centrehalf .

Sorry mate, but I can only go on what my eyes and instinct tell me. Every single thing I got from that presser was that it was a matter of time until Stones is gone. Everything he said today was carefully worded to preserve information, whereas last week he was incredibly blunt on the matter.

My view is that something has changed in the last few days. I'm happy people are interpreting that presser another way, as it means at least there's a chance I'm wrong, but I've gone from 90% sure he'll stay to pretty certain he's going. My impression from that presser couldn't be any worse short of him saying "bid accepted".

And I'm the guy who wrote ten reasons why we shouldn't sell and honestly believed we wouldn't sell, as it'd be stupid. So no agenda here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back