John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has already been issued to Chelsea.

Why should Everton repeat this over and over again?

Do we need reassurance every single day? Are we that insecure?

This came about because a certain "news" paper reported he's thrown a transfer request in;

To recap; it's been stated before that he's not for sale, and there has been no transfer request. For me that's clear.

I wish he'd of said that rather than he wasnt aware.

We are another day closer to the close of the deadline and there still is not the slightest hint from John Stones(publicly) that he wants to move away from Everton or wants to move to Chelsea.

If you think back to when Joleon Lescott did eventually force his move to City it was a saga that dragged on for weeks. I remember he even sowed the seeds at the start of the summer just before he went on holidays.

If John Stones really does want to leave(and there is no sensible suggestion that he does) against the wishes of the club I would have expected the campaign to force a move through would have already started.

If he was going then I think we'd have had a statement about a transfer request, and an accepted bid - there has been neither.

I fear that folk are over-analysing things now.

Short of a daily Stones-is-staying statement from Everton, some people are going to give themselves stress problems over this.

We are another day closer to the close of the deadline and there still is not the slightest hint from John Stones(publicly) that he wants to move away from Everton or wants to move to Chelsea.

If you think back to when Joleon Lescott did eventually force his move to City it was a saga that dragged on for weeks. I remember he even sowed the seeds at the start of the summer just before he went on holidays.

If John Stones really does want to leave(and there is no sensible suggestion that he does) against the wishes of the club I would have expected the campaign to force a move through would have already started.

I think Stones is a professional - I'd be surprised if he put in a request at all, but I'd be totally gobsmacked if it was any earlier than the end of August.

The transfer request thing is just the media tapping up the player.

Sorry mate, but I can only go on what my eyes and instinct tell me. Every single thing I got from that presser was that it was a matter of time until Stones is gone. Everything he said today was carefully worded to preserve information, whereas last week he was incredibly blunt on the matter.

My view is that something has changed in the last few days. I'm happy people are interpreting that presser another way, as it means at least there's a chance I'm wrong, but I've gone from 90% sure he'll stay to pretty certain he's going. My impression from that presser couldn't be any worse short of him saying "bid accepted".

And I'm the guy who wrote ten reasons why we shouldn't sell and honestly believed we wouldn't sell, as it'd be stupid. So no agenda here.
I haven't seen his body language but if it was different could be anything. you know how it is when you are worried about bad news you really can project things. Change could be that he is stressed out with other transfer business or just losing his patience this hasn't been put to bed. plus he has got a game to think about where we might get battered

Sorry mate, but I can only go on what my eyes and instinct tell me. Every single thing I got from that presser was that it was a matter of time until Stones is gone. Everything he said today was carefully worded to preserve information, whereas last week he was incredibly blunt on the matter.

My view is that something has changed in the last few days. I'm happy people are interpreting that presser another way, as it means at least there's a chance I'm wrong, but I've gone from 90% sure he'll stay to pretty certain he's going. My impression from that presser couldn't be any worse short of him saying "bid accepted".

And I'm the guy who wrote ten reasons why we shouldn't sell and honestly believed we wouldn't sell, as it'd be stupid. So no agenda here.

Another thing that has changed is that Everton are sudden;y ,apparently, getting ready to spend...£15 million on Yarmelenkov(?) and money on a a couple of defenders.Theres apparently also a stronger interest in Austin. Could all this be connected to an iminent departure from the club?

I haven't seen his body language but if it was different could be anything. you know how it is when you are worried about bad news you really can project things. Change could be that he is stressed out with other transfer business or just losing his patience this hasn't been put to bed. plus he has got a game to think about where we might get battered

That's exactly it though - he could have put it to bed. If he was staying, it'd be incredibly easy to do.

He effectively did put it to bed last week; this week it seemed to me he opened the door.

Yes, I get the fact he might be bored of it, but to me that makes it worse, as it indicates he has no assurances from the board that the player is going nowhere, so he can't put it to bed, as it's probably going to happen.

He wasn't asked has Stones handed in a request though.

He was asked about a story which doesn't claim that a request has happened, but that Stones is considering handing one in.

It's quite hard to issue a firm denial to a story that revolved around what's going on inside the lad's head.
yeah exactly. press shifting the emphasis to something that is impossible to flat out deny. and keeps it going till end of the window

Furthermore, he was asked if at any point Bill would come in and say the offer was too good to refuse - he simply refused to answer that question. Again, indicates no assurances whatsoever on this.

If he was going then I think we'd have had a statement about a transfer request, and an accepted bid - there has been neither.

I fear that folk are over-analysing things now.

Short of a daily Stones-is-staying statement from Everton, some people are going to give themselves stress problems over this.
It won't stop the press writing what they want though to sell papers and after that news conference I am certain the stories of Stones being close to an Everton exit will appear.

Can't win either way. Roll on September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back