John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mourhino is blatantly tapping up anyone he fancies. The guy(Pedro?) they stole from under LVGs nose has openly said that he had a few phone calls from Mourhino telling him in needed him to strengthen his side. One wonders if Mourhino, who I am now beginning to dislike a lot, has Stones' number?....

He got Fabregas to call him too

Thought he (RM) played it brilliantly to be honest as he has done since day 1.

He must know that Stones is not going to hand in a transfer request otherwise he would look incredibly weak and frankly out of touch (following today's comments).

I suspect he's playing mind games with Chelsea - let them think there's still a chance (albeit slim) - this is the ultimate popcorn - in the meantime the squad gets on with business on the pitch.

Furthermore, he was asked if at any point Bill would come in and say the offer was too good to refuse - he simply refused to answer that question. Again, indicates no assurances whatsoever on this.
or that again they have worked out that he risks looking stupid by putting words in other peoples' mouths. they want this story to run and they have done a decent job. If anyone asked me what someone else might do the answer would nearly always be 'ask them'

Worrying parallels with the Lescott situation. Intense media pressure and speculation. Big televised home game against a top side coming up. Manager being defiant up to this point. Russian winger waiting in the background to be signed with the money.

All seems horribly familiar.

Martinez playing the game. Very interesting presser.

My read,

Stones & Agent; Want the deal to go ahead.
Martinez; Desperate to keep him.

Comes down to the board. Will they support Robert?

Martinez has been trying to change the mindset. I'll remind you what Moyes said when he bid on Baines and Fellaini.

Asked on Friday if he had sympathy for Martinez, Moyes said: ‘I definitely do. But I also know that if I was the Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Baines and Fellaini, I would have found it very difficult to keep them.

'I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players.

‘All we can do is our job here. Roberto is in a new job and I am sure he will get to understand how Everton work. I know exactly how Everton work.

Bill and the board probably don't want Stones to leave but could use the money. They also know if Stones goes that Martinez will struggle to keep the Lukaku's, Barkley's etc.. making their "financial life" easier.

Bottom line the next 10 days are going to be massive. The board can take the easy way out or make a real statement. Lets hope they choose the latter and we keep Stones, sign Yarmolenko, Mori etc..

My read,

Martinez has been trying to change the mindset. I'll remind you what Moyes said when he bid on Baines and Fellaini.

Asked on Friday if he had sympathy for Martinez, Moyes said: ‘I definitely do. But I also know that if I was the Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Baines and Fellaini, I would have found it very difficult to keep them.

‘All we can do is our job here. Roberto is in a new job and I am sure he will get to understand how Everton work. I know exactly how Everton work.

Bill and the board probably don't want Stones to leave but could use the money. They also know if Stones goes that Martinez will struggle to keep the Lukaku's, Barkley's etc.. making their "financial life" easier.

Bottom line the next 10 days are going to be massive. The board can take the easy way out or make a real statement. Lets hope they choose the latter and we keep Stones, sign Yarmolenko, Mori etc..
Just wondering what this particular bit is based on mate.

I sincerely doubt anyone at Chelsea would be wanting to give Man City any more advantage this week, maybe from Sunday evening! I would be surprised if he went in this window, this year or next.

Last edited:
or that again they have worked out that he risks looking stupid by putting words in other peoples' mouths. they want this story to run and they have done a decent job. If anyone asked me what someone else might do the answer would nearly always be 'ask them'
He actually didn't refuse to answer the question, not sure why Tubey is saying that he did - borders on scaremongering to be honest.

He was asked "does there come a point where Bill steps in and says the offer is too good to turn down!"

To which Roberto answered "there is no such situation"

Worrying parallels with the Lescott situation. Intense media pressure and speculation. Big televised home game against a top side coming up. Manager being defiant up to this point. Russian winger waiting in the background to be signed with the money.

All seems horribly familiar.
apart from it feeling pretty clear to everyone that Lescott wanted to go as an older player who probably had one shot at a move like that.

My read,

Think Stones wouldn't mind either way myself - positive and negatives to staying and going.

Other than that, fully agree with your post.

Just wondering what this particular bit is based on mate.

Martinez openly admitted that Chelsea's interest had turned the players head. Watch the presser from last week.

One other thing I should mention was Martinez's reaction when asked about the fans protesting... very diplomatic.

Martinez openly admitted that Chelsea's interest had turned the players head. Watch the presser from last week.

One other thing I should mention was Martinez's reaction when asked about the fans protesting... very diplomatic.
That's not to say he's actively seeking a move though. Such talk is bound to get anyone's attention, however it's down to how the player deals with it.

Up to this point, no transfer request has been made which isn't good sign.

Think Stones wouldn't mind either way myself - positive and negatives to staying and going.

Other than that, fully agree with your post.

Don't disagree. Can only imagine he has his agent in his ear and the salary, let alone the opportunity would be too enticing.

The whole thing is a farce. Everyone knows how it ends - Stones leaves. The massively disappointing thing about it (and adding insult to injury) is that it should have been done 4 weeks ago and Everton's start to the season wouldn't have been the wreckage I suspect it's likey to become now.

As for RM being 'unaware' of any transfer request: my reading is that he's genuine on it but wont fully commit and say there is no transfer request because he doesn't know whether something imminent might break on the story (he could have walked out of the conference and into training and Stones lands him with the bombshell right then and there...making him look like a nobhead having just told the world he hadn't received a transfer request).

Only the owners of this club could turn an extra £35M per season cash bonanza into a fight to retain players and find cash to strengthen the squad.

They really are a repugnant bunch of carpetbaggers.

Jesus wept.

So now the board are not only itching to cash in on Stones (despite the fact there's more money coming into Everton than at any time in our history), they're happy about the added bonus that it'll help them to quickly sell on the rest of our valuable players.

I want us to have leadership at the club that has more capability of moving us forward as much as anyone does, but some people seriously need to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back