John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. I've not got a problem with Stones wanting more money and CL football; I will have a problem with the board not overruling that and doing what is best for the club given the current circumstances and that's it is a player who only signed a new deal 12 months ago.

There is no excuse for this board selling this player, short of truly ridiculous money. Not one single excuse.
They'd do it in a heartbeat. Selling Rooney set the benchmark (a talent much more developed and important to us even at 18 than Stones could ever be and he was sold asap).

I'll be utterly amazed if this final week isn't just about boosting the fee by a few more million to get it above £35M. And I think ALL parties at the club are in on it too: player, manager, board. The fee will have been agreed by manager and board that if it rises to a trigger point level and the transfer request comes in it'll be a done deal. The bid just hasn't got there yet. That'd be my estimation.

Worrying parallels with the Lescott situation. Intense media pressure and speculation. Big televised home game against a top side coming up. Manager being defiant up to this point. Russian winger waiting in the background to be signed with the money.

All seems horribly familiar.

Not seeing it, Mac.

By this stage of the proceedings back then Lescott had downed tools and we were humiliated on the field by Arsenal.....and iff it when our manager was totally insulted by Hughes saying there was no point talking to him so went straight to the Everton board re his bid.

IMO this scenario is playing out differently thus far.

The whole thing is a farce. Everyone knows how it ends - Stones leaves. The massively disappointing thing about it (and adding insult to injury) is that it should have been done 4 weeks ago and Everton's start to the season wouldn't have been the wreckage I suspect it's likey to become now.

As for RM being 'unaware' of any transfer request: my reading is that he's genuine on it but wont fully commit and say there is no transfer request because he doesn't know whether something imminent might break on the story (he could have walked out of the conference and into training and Stones lands him with the bombshell right then and there...making him look like a nobhead having just told the world he hadn't received a transfer request).

Only the owners of this club could turn an extra £35M per season cash bonanza into a fight to retain players and find cash to strengthen the squad.

They really are a repugnant bunch of carpetbaggers.

HeHeHeHE - All guns blazing this morning Dave.

I wonder if brown shoes has had his induction training on a Yacht in Monaco, you know the one where I give you this but you give me what I want conversation.

They'd do it in a heartbeat. Selling Rooney set the benchmark (a talent much more developed and important to us even at 18 than Stones could ever be and he was sold asap).

I'll be utterly amazed if this final week isn't just about boosting the fee by a few more million to get it above £35M. And I think ALL parties at the club are in on it too: player, manager, board. The fee will have been agreed by manager and board that if it rises to a trigger point level and the transfer request comes in it'll be a done deal. The bid just hasn't got there yet. That'd be my estimation.

You could make the argument in retrospect that Rooney was inevitable and the right decision, as the club wasn't in the same boat it is in now. An asset like that simply has to be sold in the context of Everton back then.

I will not accept that same excuse with John Stones in 2015.

If it had been done 4 weeks ago,we get substantially less money for him?
...if the fee couldn't be reached at that point the club policy should have been 'it's not on this summer, end of story'. (I'm pretty sure Liverpool weren't ever going to let the Sterling situation run and run). At that point the tv revenue should have been the transfer war chest, RM does the deals he needed by now and we're all settled in for the season. But no, everything is chaos at Everton in the summer, pretty much as per usual under this lot.

so the same as almost every player in world football then?

And please, God knows this board has done plenty wrong and I'm no fan of theirs, but can we stop deputising the Rooney transfer into arguments?

The club was financially on its knees at the time, and at genuine risk for its future, not to mention the (less significant) fact that we'd been regular relegation candidates for a lot of the previous decade.

You could make the argument in retrospect that Rooney was inevitable and the right decision, as the club wasn't in the same boat it is in now. An asset like that simply has to be sold in the context of Everton back then.

I will not accept that same excuse with John Stones in 2015.
They're identical scenarios: owners back then determined never to invest in the club using player sales to avoid that and to pay down debt/service loans; owners now determined never to invest in the club using player sales to pay down debt/service loans.

Coming up for 16 years of this caper. No wonder people are buzzing the skies above our matches in planes telling them to frig off.

It's incredibly easy to make yourself fume.

I feel some people are reading a little too much into things currently. I understand that, but at some point we must remember that it's been stated he's not for sale, all bids have been immediately rejected and that no transfer request has materialised.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in trying to look at those positives before analysing Roberto's eyebrow movements in a press conference.

They're identical scenarios: owners back then determined never to invest in the club using player sales to avoid that and to pay down debt/service loans; owners now determined never to invest in the club using player sales to pay down debt/service loans.

Coming up for 16 years of this caper. No wonder people are buzzing the skies above our matches in planes telling them to frig off.

Nah come on - much more financially stable, a much more talented squad on the pitch, more net value in terms of personnel on the field of play and not seriously considered as perennial candidates for relegation.

Definitely not identical.

...if the fee couldn't be reached at that point the club policy should have been 'it's not on this summer, end of story'. (I'm pretty sure Liverpool weren't ever going to let the Sterling situation run and run). At that point the tv revenue should have been the transfer war chest, RM does the deals he needed by now and we're all settled in for the season. But no, everything is chaos at Everton in the summer, pretty much as per usual under this lot.
If we do intend to sell I think the plan was to dangle him in front of Chelsea (the City result couldn't have been more opportune) and either hope they up the bid or get drawn into a bidding war with Utd/City.Most clubs have a football-business divide,maybe it's a little more pronounced her.

Dave everything the club has said on this has been about how he's not for sale.

I'm not sure how you could have missed this, but believe me that's been the clubs stance since day one. They've turned down numerous bids and the manager has said he doesn't want the player to leave. It's easy to research and I could spend the next 10 minutes copying a pasting quotes since this started weeks ago, but Evertons stance hasn't changed.

We don't won't to sell him plain and simple, no hidden agenda, no backdoor secret deals, no nods and winks. Everton simply want to keep one of their best players because he's a good player and don't want to cash in on him.

RM has been taking the mickey out of Chelsea since the beginning of this saga.

The situation is the same as it was from the start IMO, John Stones has a price, but they simply aren't meeting it this summer.

Not seeing it, Mac.

By this stage of the proceedings back then Lescott had downed tools and we were humiliated on the field by Arsenal.....and iff it when our manager was totally insulted by Hughes saying there was no point talking to him so went straight to the Everton board re his bid.

IMO this scenario is playing out differently thus far.

Hope so. Clear pressure on Stones to put a transfer request in. I just hope the lad isn't being advised badly.

Dave everything the club has said on this has been about how he's not for sale.

I'm not sure how you could have missed this, but believe me that's been the clubs stance since day one. They've turned down numerous bids and the manager has said he doesn't want the player to leave. It's easy to research and I could spend the next 10 minutes copying a pasting quotes since this started weeks ago, but Evertons stance hasn't changed.

We don't won't to sell him plain and simple, no hidden agenda, no backdoor secret deals, no nods and winks. Everton simply want to keep one of their best players because he's a good player and don't want to cash in on him.

Spot on mate. Just don't understand why some lads can't see this.

Martinez says he's not aware of any transfer request, and then some pick-up that this means Stones must have handed in a transfer request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back