John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rewatched the Stones part of the press conference...

He didn't even say "I'm not aware"

He was specifically asked "are you aware of anything regarding a transfer request"

To which he answered "not at all, no"
Just watched it myself. That is exactly how the question was put to him. He never said 'I am not aware.....'.

Martinez came across as he was bored of the whole thing now and basically said the press will talk about it until the end of the window - which to me means Stones will be here until the window shuts.

Naive as I am..

That's not to say he's actively seeking a move though. Such talk is bound to get anyone's attention, however it's down to how the player deals with it.

Up to this point, no transfer request has been made which isn't good sign.

Let's not get in to the whole transfer request thing. Arteta put in a "transfer request" didn't he?

He's in the team at Everton, and for the foreseeable future
Playing alongside an England regular

If he goes to Chelsea, he could end up on the bench for a lot of the season and even then they could go out and blow another 40 mill on an international centre back, just because, well they are Chelsea

The whole thing is a farce. Everyone knows how it ends - Stones leaves. The massively disappointing thing about it (and adding insult to injury) is that it should have been done 4 weeks ago and Everton's start to the season wouldn't have been the wreckage I suspect it's likey to become now.

As for RM being 'unaware' of any transfer request: my reading is that he's genuine on it but wont fully commit and say there is no transfer request because he doesn't know whether something imminent might break on the story (he could have walked out of the conference and into training and Stones lands him with the bombshell right then and there...making him look like a nobhead having just told the world he hadn't received a transfer request).

Only the owners of this club could turn an extra £35M per season cash bonanza into a fight to retain players and find cash to strengthen the squad.

They really are a repugnant bunch of carpetbaggers.

Exactly my reading of it too - which will be because he's received no blanket assurances from the board.

Hope we're both wrong.

We need to keep him regardless of any transfer request - Liverpool kept Suarez and he then produced his best season before he eventually left. Stones is the sort of character to do the same.

Exactly my reading of it too - which will be because he's received no blanket assurances from the board.

Hope we're both wrong.
If he goes it'll be the usual 'the player said he wanted to leave the club'.

It's the get out of jail card that's always used...and it'll be partly true too - even if it does suit the board down to the ground.

Jesus wept.

So now the board are not only itching to cash in on Stones (despite the fact there's more money coming into Everton than at any time in our history), they're happy about the added bonus that it'll help them to quickly sell on the rest of our valuable players.

I want us to have leadership at the club that has more capability of moving us forward as much as anyone does, but some people seriously need to get a grip.

I hope not but it's a fact that they would happen. You sell Stones and the younger players do what!?
Moyes comments need to be put to bed. Perfect opportunity.

Quit all the messing around now, pull stones aside and say listen we want you to say here's a new contract to reflect what your worth to us, we're building a team for the future and your pivotal to this, your still young got your whole career Infront of you don't make a mistake now give us a year or two if it doesn't work and you want to leave at least you can say you give it a shot and have the best wishes of everyone at Everton BILL IF YOUR READING THIS MATE YOU CAN BORROW THAT SPEECH

If he goes it'll be the usual 'the player said he wanted to leave the club'.

It's the get out of jail card that's always used...and it'll be partly true too - even if it does suit the board down to the ground.

Correct. I've not got a problem with Stones wanting more money and CL football; I will have a problem with the board not overruling that and doing what is best for the club given the current circumstances and that's it is a player who only signed a new deal 12 months ago.

There is no excuse for this board selling this player, short of truly ridiculous money. Not one single excuse.

Martinez openly admitted that Chelsea's interest had turned the players head. Watch the presser from last week.
He DIDNT say it had turned his head. He was asked has it had an effect on John and he said "of course"

That is not the same as having your head turned - that phrase means a la Lescott to City, where you are now focused on making that move at all costs.

Of course it's going to have an effect on Stones, he's a 21yr old kid seeing his name all over the papers every day, being photographed every time he leaves his house - FFS one rag ran a story a week or so ago "Chelsea target John Stones goes for a walk near his Cheshire home", I kid you not.

Martinez would have looked utterly ridiculous saying "no, John hasn't noticed to be honest"

I know it's difficult, less so as you get older, but there really is no point in stressing about this stuff, wait till the window shuts, if Stones has gone and we look worse off as a result, but Bill looks like a big fat wallet head, then the only recourse is for people to not buy season tickets until the window shuts, make a statement.
Won't happen of course but it's the only way to get their attention.
Apart from that, I used to be amused by Mourinho, can't stomach him now, which irritates me now because the deluded beauts over the road have hated him for years and I'd hate to be brought down to their level...

Thought he (RM) played it brilliantly to be honest as he has done since day 1.

He must know that Stones is not going to hand in a transfer request otherwise he would look incredibly weak and frankly out of touch (following today's comments).

I suspect he's playing mind games with Chelsea - let them think there's still a chance (albeit slim) - this is the ultimate popcorn - in the meantime the squad gets on with business on the pitch.

Great post.

Another thing.

Chelsea's centre backs have had a torrid time in the opening couple games of the season.

All this speculation must be off putting for Cahill and Terry......what does it say about them if Mourinho is so desperate to sign a 21 year old kid?

I think this overt threat to their place in the starting line up is affecting their game.

Conversely, Phil Jagielka is being blatantly insulted at every turn as his status as role model for John us totally dismissed and a lowlife chav is accorded saintly status by the press......but Phil has stepped up and had an impressive start to the season.

The whole thing is a farce. Everyone knows how it ends - Stones leaves. The massively disappointing thing about it (and adding insult to injury) is that it should have been done 4 weeks ago and Everton's start to the season wouldn't have been the wreckage I suspect it's likey to become now..
If it had been done 4 weeks ago,we get substantially less money for him?

I hope not but it's a fact that they would happen. You sell Stones and the younger players do what!?
Moyes comments need to be put to bed. Perfect opportunity.
Moyes's comments from 2 years ago need to be put to bed?!

Comments by the way about a transfer saga that resulted in us selling one player that the manager wasn't that keen on for far more than he was worth, and keeping the other one, in spite of the player himself being interested in making the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back